Sign in with
Your question

URGENT

Last response: in Systems
May 18, 2012 8:29:33 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff!

Approximate Purchase Date: Tonight!

Budget Range: 600-700 before rebates / before tax

System Usage: (Least to Most Important) Gaming, Programming, Watching Movies, Word Processing, Browsing, etc.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit already.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Doesn't really matter as long as it the part gets decent-good reviews.

Overclocking: No, but maybe. Not going to splurge for it.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 is my current LCD's max resolution. It's an Optiquest (bad I know but I'm on a budget!)

Additional Comments: Needs to be able to run Diablo 3/Counterstrike: Global Offensive with everything maxed out, at least 30 fps. Also should be able to handle BF3 at medium-high graphics with some stuff turned off.

What I have so far, (days of contemplation)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Would really like to lower the price. Could I substitute a cheaper motherboard? I don't need SLI ready or crossfire, I won't be playing any other games other than these for a while so upgrades aren't really necessary later.

More about : urgent

May 18, 2012 8:31:17 PM

And when I receive the parts, how hard will the put together be? Will I have to go out and buy different wires or is my build compatible completely?

Will I have to adjust any plugs or anything? Or just take everything, screw it down, plug it in, tie wires, turn on, install os and done?

Will I need to mess with BIOS at all even though I'm not OCing or anything like that?
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:39:55 PM

Spend the time that it takes to ship downloading all the component manuals and reading them.....then read them again .... then print them and go thru w/ a highlighter to make important parts stand out.

All the parts will be in the boxes, wires included. The trick is being able to identify which is which and where it goes.

Most common mistake is putting the RAM in wrong slots. RTFM .... then look at the pictures.
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2012 8:42:49 PM

I would recomend getting this PSU over the Logisys:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's newer tech, has more amps available on the 12V rails(384 watts= 32 amps), Is 80+ certified and has active PFC. All-around a better PSU than the Logisys. It's more expensive than the Logisys, but you shouldn't "cheap out" on your PSU. It's the one component that can take out your whole PC if it is bad.

Or this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:48:24 PM

Sounds good Clark! And Jack, good idea haha, I'm going to be anxious waiting hah. I've done it before, but mostly was guided by a friend. I'm alone now though.

Any word about the motherboard?
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:49:19 PM

Clark, is 430watts enough for my build? Going with the corsair.

Also, do the parts all ship in one box or do they come one at a time?
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:54:03 PM

Arkzabor said:
Clark, is 430watts enough for my build?

Also, do the parts all ship in one box or do they come one at a time?

As long as you are not going to run two graphics cards, then yes. It's not the total watts that's important, its how many amps are available on the 12V rails. The Antec will supply 32 amps, while the Logisys had only 25 amps.

As far as how the parts are shipped, it depends on which warehouse they get shipped from. If all the parts are from the same warehouse, then , yes one box, unless anything is on backorder.
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:55:48 PM

Alright, learn something new every day with this stuff haha.
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:57:12 PM

Should I spring for a 2500k even if I'm getting a non-clockable motherboard? (Idk if I will oc yet, one listed in wishlist is oc'able.)

It's only 10$ more on newegg.

Will a cheaper processor still fit my needs?
m
l
May 18, 2012 9:01:00 PM

Arkzabor said:
Alright, learn something new every day with this stuff haha.

Also, look @ the Corsair PSU i linked to. It has 28 amps and a rebate that will get it's cost down. It's also a JonnyGuru recommended PSU.
m
l
May 18, 2012 9:11:51 PM

if you have a micro center near you they have sale on ib and mb that are cheaper then new eggs i5 and mb. Myself i got ib 3540 at mc for the low price they had. when your talking performance wise between the i-5 3500 or the i-5 3400 your only talking about 400 mgz it so small that your not going to see it in games. what you do want is 1600 ram an 8 gig kit and one that one the motherboard tested list. if you go cheap on the ram or buy the wrong ram kit the mb wont post. if your not going to over clock and use a video card then dont look at the x69 or z77 mb there more for the over clockers look at the h7 mb if your tight. if your real tight then look to get an i3 two core cpu but put the money to a 6850 or 6870 card. if and when you repalce your monitor you want to have one good video card that going to be able to play games with out lagging. then only other thing i toss in is get a 212 after market cpu cooler..the intel stock coolers are crap..
m
l
May 18, 2012 9:20:51 PM

smorizio said:
if you have a micro center near you they have sale on ib and mb that are cheaper then new eggs i5 and mb. Myself i got ib 3540 at mc for the low price they had. when your talking performance wise between the i-5 3500 or the i-5 3400 your only talking about 400 mgz it so small that your not going to see it in games. what you do want is 1600 ram an 8 gig kit and one that one the motherboard tested list. if you go cheap on the ram or buy the wrong ram kit the mb wont post. if your not going to over clock and use a video card then dont look at the x69 or z77 mb there more for the over clockers look at the h7 mb if your tight. if your real tight then look to get an i3 two core cpu but put the money to a 6850 or 6870 card. if and when you repalce your monitor you want to have one good video card that going to be able to play games with out lagging. then only other thing i toss in is get a 212 after market cpu cooler..the intel stock coolers are crap..

Holy *** the i5 2500k is only 170!

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?...

Which should I get? Best bang for the buck? Locked is fine.

Can you link the motherboard? Can't find it haha. And yeah I might spring for a 6950 if I can bring motherboard / cpu down. (Good idea?)

Is that cooler necessary even though I'm not overclocking at all?
m
l
!