What power supply should i get for the ati radeon 4890?

coolman295

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Well i just bought an xfx ati 4890 from cragslist for 90$.And i have a diablotek phd series 450watt psu and i know for sure it isnt enough to run this thing so i need to get a new 1 cause im having alot of lagspikes with games and thats not normal.And im seeing that it is running sower than my 550ti i had before when playing games so i know it has to be a power supply issue.
Im not selling it but u can see my computer here i put it on cragslist awhile ago but im not seling it anymore.(The Specs)

http://orlando.craigslist.org/sys/2878128861.html

So i was thinking on getting this power supply.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4252528&CatId=1483

Or possibly to save some money I could get a psu without the dual pcie connectors but i dont like to connect the videocard through the molex to pcie adapter which it what i have now..i am using the pcie connector that is on my powersupply and 1 molex to pcie adapter from my gtx 550ti.

And i would like to know is it bad to do this?With 1 pcie connection from the psu and 1 using the molex.
If possible i would like to know other cheeper powersupplies i could get thanks so much.

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
Hey it's me Justin the person who sold you the card, dude I'm starting to think it's not your PSU that's the problem, but your CPU's unlocked core. It might be unstable.

Diablotek is a very well known brand, and the minimum for a Radeon HD 4890 is at least a 500W, but a decent 450W will handle it and yours is pretty decent.

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

That is because you have the slider settings to Performance like you told me, just leave it at default.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Hey man, Firstly I have the Sapphire HD4890 OC Edition 1GB Running 901Mhz Core and 1Ghz GDDR5 256Bit.
I have a Gigabyte 470W PSU with Dual 12V rails which can handle a combined 29 Amps on the rails !
~ And that is still not enough 'juice'. ~ The card on itself uses around 130Watts under load.

What you need to remember is that not everyone ONLY has 1x hdd, 1x dvd/cd 2x Ram sticks etc etc etc...

Asus has a nice advanced wattage usage calculator :love: http://support.asus.com/PowerSupply.aspx?SLanguage=en
you can use to calculate estimated wattage used by your system.

When I added all 6xhdds, 1xdvd, 4xram sticks, 1xHD4890, CPU type and speed, 1xaddon cards, 3xusb devices ,etc...etc,
It recommended a :ouch: 850W PSU !!!

I had to do it because my HD4890 OC created those irritating lag spikes or 'Stuttering'.
And I had a feeling it was not getting enough power after I set my clocks lower on the card to 750Mhz core , and 900Mhz for ram, and the stuttering stopped.Causing the card to draw less power.

Yes , it might be the CPU(lol if you have anything below a 2.6Ghz dual core), but more likely its the PSU is to blame.

I bought the Corsair AX1200W and running like a dream on my E8600 3.33Ghz Core 2 Duo 6Mb cache. 8GB Ram win7 64 pro

TRENDING THREADS