destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I have read some recent forums and comments on articles about how people are saying the gtx680 won't be worth it because it has the gk104 instead of some other. Are these guys just fanboys whining about whatever they can or are they right? I looked at some leaked benchmarks and stuff of the 680 and it showed really good performance. Doesn't look to me like it is a bad chip. What do you guys think?

destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Is there going to be only the 2gb version or is there going to be a 4gb version also? Also, is the $500 rumored to be for the 2gb or 4gb? If it is for the 2gb then how much would the 4gb be do you think?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
My take is that unless you absolutely, positively have to have a graphics card now, wait for the release and benchmarks.

Why?

The release is rumored to be happening on March 22, or so which is six days away.

destroyer432

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Okay this is what I say to that. You can spend around $250 for a card that you will be able to play any game on decent to good settings. But after a year you have or at least need to upgrade. So of you upgrade every year for a new $250 card it is not worth it. 1year ($250) + 1year($250) + 1year($250)= $750. While you can a $500 card like the gtx 580 or upcoming 680 and hold at maybe double the performance of the $250 cards for all three years thus saving money.

I just hope that the 2gb gtx 680 will be enough because my max budget for graphics card is around $500. Which $550 is pushing it for the 680. I'll wait a week after the release (march 23rd rumored) of the 680 in order to check reviews and benchmarks but then I'm buying.

There was a demo video clip that was used at the Game Developers Copnference last year called "The Good Samaritan" and it took three GTX 580's to run it , so at this years conference they ran the same demo clip and it was run with one GTX 680. I think that should tell you something right there. They are now saying that the new Keplers will be about 20% faster across the board than the 7900's. I can't wait for these things to come out , however it's not such a good idea to jump right in because they will be coming out with various models over the next few months. Look at what Evga came out with in thier Classified model and that didn't come out untill several months after the initail release of the 580's. If the initial release has 2gb of vram you can count on other models coming out with 3gb or 4gb soon after.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-Kepler-GeForce-GTX680-gpu,15012.html

Worth is a value judgement that only YOU can make.

The GTX680 will be launched at a competitive price performance point. It is unclear what that will be.
I am inclined to believe the rumors that peg it at a 7970 +20%, and a price of $550.
I think the ram will be 2gb which should be plenty.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Except that its already been shown that the 680 is both more efficient and uses less power..

Plus it has x4 monitor support
plus it has TXAA which is better the x16 mxaa and uses less than x2 mxaa

Plus it has great driver and software support

plus nvidia has physx and better 3d support

plus its going to have better peformance than 7970

plus its going to be cheaper (ok ok i have no proof on this one but just wait 6 days then you will see im right)

amd really doesnt have much left... all they can hope is that there multi card 7970 will pull something out of that hat but we all know thats not going to happen

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

All of what you said is completely unproven and false.

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

I agree ^ +1

I guess that we'll just have to wait and see when the cards are relaesed and put through the benchmarks to see what it can actually do. We can sit here and debate this all day and in the end there is no competition untill both cards are there to compete. AMD always feels like they have to release thier cards first and Nvidia always seems to wait untill AMD does that. It would be a whole lot better if they both released thier cards together then you could see right then and there which is better. Still some people will always buy Nvidia and some will always buy AMD/ATI. Because in the end most of the time you are only talking about 5-10 fps difference and that's not much. If you look at the benchmarks of the different cards you see some that Nvidia wins and some that AMD/ATI wins.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

Really?

http://www.techpowerup.com/162498/GTX-680-Generally-Faster-Than-HD-7970-New-Benchmarks.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/162504/NVIDIA-s-New-AA-Algo-is-TXAA-Adaptive-V-Sync-and-New-3DVision-Surround-Detailed.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/162500/GK104-Block-Diagram-Explained.html

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26391-nvidia-gtx-680-brings-multi-display-support

Im pretty sure i just tea bagged your arguement,

Everything i said was true

gtx 680 is less than 200W compared to your whopping 250W on the 7970 ( better price per watt)
gtx 680 WILL out bench 7970 (better total performacnce)
Nvidia already has better driver/software so no need to argue there
gtx 680 will be able to run x4 monitor support ( so no more relying on your eye finity > 3d argument )
gtx 680 will have txaa
The only thing i cant prove is the price, and im saying here on the internet that i bet my left nut it will come out at a lower price point then the current 550 price point of the 7970

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

They have not released anything concrete on the 680 yet I mean they have not even Benchmarked or Reviewed it yet your claims are not based on facts they are just unverified opinion's and vague ball park theoretics.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012

Cmoing from the ATI fanboy who said:
Price and Efficiency are typically Nvidias downfall I would just therefore go to Radeon if I were you.

Your an idiot. Nvidia is for higher end, Radeon is for the lesser lower end. You are and fanboy and are in denial just admit it. And oh yea, Nvidia has less consumption, better temps, Radeon is louder than a train, TXAA is definitely coming and so much better than MSAA, and 3D is really supported with Nvidia. What does Radeon have? Cheaper cards? Yes, but only in the low end. Let me guess, you have a 6950 dont you? Have fun replacing that next year.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

Ok lets pretend you actualy took the time to read those articles and that the same information hasnt been appearing on every website with the same exact information. Lets just ignor all of that

If tomshardware released benchmarks that validated everything i had to say,

then you as an ovious team red member (not that im not denying my team green badge) what would you then have to say?

artard

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Guess what everyone. Elvis is working at a Walmart in Florida!!

Just because I wrote that does not mean it is true. The internet is full of BS getting passed off as fact. We will believe it when some reputable benches are done by popular sites.

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Well once again the verified and produced by solid publications such as Tom's Hardware benchmark's and reviews have all stated that the 7970 is all around superior to the GTX 580 and then there are benchmarks that even show the 7870 running games cooler, quieter and getting near enough to same performance of the GTX 580 in some games. Currently there is an Nvidia card in my rig I run both Nvidia and Radeon cards but today an old Nvidia card is what is in my box but Radeon is just doing better for right now today however Kelper will change up the playing field when it gets here but today it's not here so Red team is on top if not for a short while.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

correction, while i did exacerbate a pissing contest i was not the one who started it :D

and edit, even if op wasnt a troll the title of this thread alone is enough to attract a pissing contest :bounce:

ttg_avenged - careful who you call an idiot - If you've read any of the graphic reviews over the past year AMD has had a pretty good share of the recommendations for the higher end gaming systems. Before you say fanboy - I have both ATI & nvidia cards.
-Bruce

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

That still does not make justified your spreading of false unverified rhetorical information on a product that is yet to become into physical existence.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I think the red team will still be on top even after the 680 comes out. Let the flaming begin!

6990OC.jpg

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008

haha as i get preached to from the guy who started the pissing contest by spouting useless nonsense, you can claim what i said is false all the way to the barn for all i care im not one whos going to be wrong in 2 weeks,

tell you what, in april when 680 is actualy out and everything i said was right, ill send you a pm regarding this thread and then you can reflect how i was right why you come up with another exuse

Demon slayer

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

F*** me Nvidia and Radeon both make great cards but Radeon just has better options right now with there 7xxx series cards and 68xx cards.