Help requested in picking PSU

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
September 6, 2012 6:52:22 PM

Hi.
I know that this request is probably as unoriginal as it gets, but I'm really stumped, and I'd appreciate your help.

I'm building a new system, for work, web, gaming and such.
My mind is pretty set on this setup:

i5-3750k
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte HD7850 2GB
Sandisk 120GB SSD
WD Caviar Green 1TB HD
Blu ray Drive
Zalman Z11 Plus

The only thing missing is a PSU. Since there are so many companies, lines and models, I just can't pick one.

According to various calculators, this system would need a PSU of 350-400W.
I wanted to take a 500-550W one, just to be on the safe side, and I think that around 50GBP would be a fair price.

I'd really appreciate your comments on this matter. Which model would you recommend?

Many thanks,
Idan

More about : requested picking psu

a c 158 ) Power supply
September 6, 2012 7:13:34 PM

+1 to the XFX Core 550W
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 6, 2012 7:49:45 PM

A 380w psu would be plenty for that system.

XFX is a great brand made by Seasonic, highly recommended and 5yr warranty.
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 6, 2012 8:06:20 PM

geekapproved said:

XFX is a great brand made by Seasonic, highly recommended and 5yr warranty.

True story and if the OP wanted to save another 15, then he could go with the XFX Core 450W: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w-xfx-pro-core-editio...
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 6, 2012 8:14:53 PM

geekapproved said:

Yep, but the guys who want twice as much power as the system will use will cry about the bunnies and kittens that die when you "overload" a psu

Noticed your sig says something about Tribes Ascend, how is it ? I've got half a dozen codes from cpu purchases and haven't bothered with them
a c 76 ) Power supply
September 6, 2012 8:29:31 PM

delluser1 said:
Yep, but the guys who want twice as much power as the system will use will cry about the bunnies and kittens that die when you "overload" a psu

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
September 6, 2012 9:15:00 PM

Actually I would not suggest to take something less than a quality 500W PSU like XFX or Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One friend of mine builded a lighter desktop than yours and used a 500W from CM's extreme power series (mistake as the CM's GX series are meant for gaming desktops) and he experienced crushes and black screens about a couple of weeks before he figured it out. Now he changed it with a Corsair 700W Gaming series and he is fine :p 

The point is that taking a bigger than required PSU is not a big deal, but taking a smaller is.
a b ) Power supply
September 6, 2012 11:03:05 PM

Idanyd said:
Hi.
I know that this request is probably as unoriginal as it gets, but I'm really stumped, and I'd appreciate your help.

I'm building a new system, for work, web, gaming and such.
My mind is pretty set on this setup:

i5-3750k
Gigabyte Z77-D3H
8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte HD7850 2GB
Sandisk 120GB SSD
WD Caviar Green 1TB HD
Blu ray Drive
Zalman Z11 Plus

The only thing missing is a PSU. Since there are so many companies, lines and models, I just can't pick one.

According to various calculators, this system would need a PSU of 350-400W.
I wanted to take a 500-550W one, just to be on the safe side, and I think that around 50GBP would be a fair price.

I'd really appreciate your comments on this matter. Which model would you recommend?

Many thanks,
Idan

I have a 3570k, 7850, 8GB corsair vengeance and HD 7850, and i have a XFX 550w Core Edition. The only bad thing is it is not modular.
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 7, 2012 9:37:54 AM

XXStavrosXX said:
Actually I would not suggest to take something less than a quality 500W PSU like XFX or Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One friend of mine builded a lighter desktop than yours and used a 500W from CM's extreme power series (mistake as the CM's GX series are meant for gaming desktops) and he experienced crushes and black screens about a couple of weeks before he figured it out. Now he changed it with a Corsair 700W Gaming series and he is fine :p 

The point is that taking a bigger than required PSU is not a big deal, but taking a smaller is.

That's probably because the CM EP+ series of PSUs are craptastic and overrated so CM can overcharge. A few reviews:
1. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
2. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
3. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
September 7, 2012 12:48:15 PM

Thanks, guys.

I was thinking in the line of xXStavrosXx (Nothing to do with fluffy bunnies. It's just much more of a hassle to change an insufficient PSU to a stronger one, rather than buying a stronger one to begin with), but I'll take your words that a good 450W is enough.

Frankly, I was toying with the idea of buying a modular PSU, but I guess that there aren't any modular ones in XFX 450w's price range, right?
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 7, 2012 1:04:24 PM

Probably not but you might be able to track down a good deal on an OCZ ModXstream 500W after mail-in-rebate.
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 7, 2012 1:20:14 PM

I know none of them come with the power cord, but it's really odd that this unit doesn't come with the modular cables. I'd call to verify and wouldn't get it if it didn't come with the modular cables...the extra cost for cables would make it not worth the money.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 7, 2012 1:27:59 PM

Rugger said:
I know none of them come with the power cord, but it's really odd that this unit doesn't come with the modular cables. I'd call to verify and wouldn't get it if it didn't come with the modular cables...the extra cost for cables would make it not worth the money.

Makes me wonder if they are actually selling the modular version or not
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 7, 2012 1:32:58 PM

It definitely seems a tad shady...
September 10, 2012 9:29:40 AM

And apparently the Antec has only 80 Plus, in comparison to the XFX's Bronze.
So, the XFX 450W it is.

Thank you all for your help :) 
a c 158 ) Power supply
September 10, 2012 10:42:08 AM

Glad we could help - enjoy a great PSU!
!