GTX 550 ti power connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevmc1982

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought a GTX 550 ti but when I have tried to connect it to the power connectors the male connection that came with the card is the standard four pin connection but it only has three pins with one missing. Do I need to get some sort of converter or is it ok to just plug it into the four pin female? I don't think this is the right approach as i would be connecting something that would want power to a pin that relates to the earth

kevmc1982

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Into my graphics card it is a small six (using only five) pin connection but at the end of that it is split into two four pin sized connectors with three pins and one missing

A GTX550ti has a female 6 pin connector. Your psu should have a matching male 6 pin pci-e lead which should be used to connect to the graphics card.

If your psu does not have such a lead, it may be an old one without sufficient power for the graphics card. You need a 400w psu with 24 +12v amps.

If your psu has the power, but not a 6 pin lead, then you will have to use an adapter that is some times included with a graphics card. It will attach to some molex leads on the psu and output the proper 6 pin male pcie power connector.
It will look something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887001

Power connectors are keyed to fit only the proper way.
DO NOT force anything and you will be ok.

kevmc1982

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
It has that adapter for the molex leads with it in the box but my question is whether I am safe to plug the three pin one from the lead in the box into the four pin one that is connected to my PSU. The one from the PSU is yellow black black red which is +12v COM COM +5v and so the one from the graphics card is going to go into two black ones

My PSU is a 650w PSU so I think I have the power to cover the card ;)

I think the 4 pin connectors you are referring to are called molex connectors. Do not be concerned about how many wires seem to be in them.
The molex connectors can be inserted only one way if you don't force things.
The adapter like I linked to will convert two of those molex leads from the psu into one 6 pin male lead that goes into your graphics card.
Again, do not worry about how many wires you see within the 6 holes and leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.