Half Life 3, mini-QWERTY keyboard for 360?

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=122643
>
> (check out the images that go with the story)
>
> The Half-Life 3 thing is probably just an example of future development
> rather than an actual confirmed upcoming title. But the keyboard thing
> looks legit, if a little weird. They also show the camera for video chat.
>
> -Z-

The funny thing about the video camera is the text says that it is 8x more
powerful than the Eye Toy. I don't think anyone believes the Eye Toy is
powerful at all and It seems lame to compare something from this generation
to next. It also only captures at 8fps so I don't know what they are
bragging about in that sense. The mic connects to the controller but if the
controller is wireless, wouldn't that mean you would have to be fairly close
to the camera? Why do companies think that anyone cares about this on a
console as a principal feature? They are fostering the concept of that
community where everyone plays games and chats but with the number of pricks
on Live and PS2 currently, they aren't going to want to give up their
anonymous mask of "dickhood" so most wont even use it the way it is
intended.

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=122643
>
> (check out the images that go with the story)
>
> The Half-Life 3 thing is probably just an example of future development
> rather than an actual confirmed upcoming title. But the keyboard thing
looks
> legit, if a little weird. They also show the camera for video chat.

Now if only they will add a mouse.......*drool*

Mattinglyfan wrote:

> It also only captures at 8fps so I
> don't know what they are bragging about in that sense.

I noticed that too (tho my Spanish is way rustier than yours,
SpanishTeacher), but MS also distinctly said the camera would capture at 30
fps at E3. Not sure what the deal is.

> They are fostering the concept of that community
> where everyone plays games and chats but with the number of pricks on
> Live and PS2 currently, they aren't going to want to give up their
> anonymous mask of "dickhood" so most wont even use it the way it is
> intended.

Yeah of course. The camera (and the keyboard) will be niche novelties at
best. Sony had some huge success with the EyeToy -- which I don't quite get,
becuase the thing is more impractical than fun -- but I think MS is mainly
going to pimp the camera as a way of doing video chat between
friends/family. Not my thing, but whatever.

-Z-

Zackman wrote:
> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>

>>It also only captures at 8fps so I
>>don't know what they are bragging about in that sense.
>

> I noticed that too (tho my Spanish is way rustier than yours,
> SpanishTeacher), but MS also distinctly said the camera would capture at 30
> fps at E3. Not sure what the deal is.
>

>>They are fostering the concept of that community
>>where everyone plays games and chats but with the number of pricks on
>>Live and PS2 currently, they aren't going to want to give up their
>>anonymous mask of "dickhood" so most wont even use it the way it is
>>intended.
>

> Yeah of course. The camera (and the keyboard) will be niche novelties at
> best. Sony had some huge success with the EyeToy -- which I don't quite get,
> becuase the thing is more impractical than fun -- but I think MS is mainly
> going to pimp the camera as a way of doing video chat between
> friends/family. Not my thing, but whatever.

One smart thing about the eye toy, even if it has not been realized, is
that it's a way to allow young children to use the PS2. Really young
kids are really coordinated enough to play most PS2 games, but the eye
toy stuff is flail proof.

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote in message
> Zackman wrote:
>> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>>

>>>It also only captures at 8fps so I
>>>don't know what they are bragging about in that sense.
>>

>> I noticed that too (tho my Spanish is way rustier than yours,
>> SpanishTeacher), but MS also distinctly said the camera would capture at
>> 30 fps at E3. Not sure what the deal is.
>>

>>>They are fostering the concept of that community
>>>where everyone plays games and chats but with the number of pricks on
>>>Live and PS2 currently, they aren't going to want to give up their
>>>anonymous mask of "dickhood" so most wont even use it the way it is
>>>intended.
>>

>> Yeah of course. The camera (and the keyboard) will be niche novelties at
>> best. Sony had some huge success with the EyeToy -- which I don't quite
>> get, becuase the thing is more impractical than fun -- but I think MS is
>> mainly going to pimp the camera as a way of doing video chat between
>> friends/family. Not my thing, but whatever.
>
> One smart thing about the eye toy, even if it has not been realized, is
> that it's a way to allow young children to use the PS2. Really young kids
> are really coordinated enough to play most PS2 games, but the eye toy
> stuff is flail proof.

That is why I have mine. My 5 and 3 year old would have never had access to
my PS2 otherwise had it not been for the eye toy.

Mattinglyfan wrote:

> Yeah but you know they are going to hit the "See your friends on Live"
> aspect hard when it comes down to it.

I can't see how that would be a big selling point. In fact I can't even see
it bring implemented in games directly, maybe just a feature of the UI
itself that you can overlay on a game if you wanted to. It would be fun
watching your friend's face as you play Madden (as long as the cam didn't
cause bandwidth issues), but for strangers in general Live matchups? No way.
This would be the result:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-03-14

> If anything, I could
> stick my kids in front of the camera and have people think they are
> getting their ass whooped by a 5 year old Xbox prodigy.

LOL.

-Z-