Solved

Radeon 7970 on a PCIe 2.0 socket...

Is it worth it to put a 3.0 PCIe Graphic card on a motherboard with 2.0 PCIe socket?

Im talking about this "XFX Radeon HD 7970 " on my ASUS Rampage III Extreme Republic of Gamers...

Or will the 2.0 PCIe just slow down 50% or so of my graphic card performance?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 7970 pcie socket
  1. It certianly won't slow down 50% but you just won't get the full performance of the card since it was designed for the Pci-e 3.0. You will see a very good performance increase over what you have now for sure.
    What card do you have now?
  2. inzone said:
    It certianly won't slow down 50% but you just won't get the full performance of the card since it was designed for the Pci-e 3.0. You will see a very good performance increase over what you have now for sure.
    What card do you have now?

I Have a Radeon HD5970

And I want to buy 2x *Radeon 7970" so im ready for the big game DIABLO3 i may :)

I have also considderred to buy another HD5970 if the 7970 solution wasnt worth it, and make a crossfire but the two graphic cards cost the same... almost $800 in the danish stores :)
  3. HD7970 will work on PCI-E 2.0 with full power.

However, you can max out Diablo 3 even on a single HD6850. Why would you need 2 of the most expensive graphic cards to do it? Unless you're a troll that just wants attention.
  4. sephirothmk said:
    HD7970 will work on PCI-E 2.0 with full power.

However, you can max out Diablo 3 even on a single HD6850. Why would you need 2 of the most expensive graphic cards to do it? Unless you're a troll that just wants attention.

hehe you got a point! Im just affraid of lagg in diablo3 after i tryed laggy game "Rage" on my computer with:

4.2 Ghz Cpu
    16 GB Ram
    HD5970 Graphic card

hehe but I will listen to you and only buy one :) thx for advice...
  5. Best answer
    Not even 2 7970 can saturate PCIe 16. The performance difference between 2x8 and 2x16 does not exists (maybe less than 1%)
    http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/23/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x8x8/

same can be said about PCIe 3.0 and 2.1 or 2.0
  6. D3 is pretty much not going to lag anyone's PC if they have something even moderate.
    The game doesn't require much power at all to max out.
  7. Ok perheps I cant see any difference in Diablo3 with one or two 7970 cards , and its only for benchmarking runs atm :) ... but I can avoid Lagg in games in the next 3-4 years ... instead of 1-2 years when the new games arrives...

when i bought my HD5970 it was the newest on the marked and 2 years later it sucked playing the game "Rage" ... and those new games :)
  8. Best answer selected by p4n4m4.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Socket Radeon Graphics