Sign in with
Your question

Strange Graphics Issues - Puzzled

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2012 10:58:46 PM

Hello forum!

This is my first post and is a very troublesome topic.

I have a sager NP5797 with a clevo M570TU MB, Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPU, 4 GB RAM currently running Nvidia driver 266.58 for windows XP 32 bit(yes 32 bit atm for testing).

I have had the system for three years(almost) and have always kept it clean and free from overheating.

Right now I am facing a very troublesome issue-

Anytime I play any 3D game be it WoW, Oblivion(which I want to play atm), Skyrim, Modern Warfare 2, anything; I have problems.

In windows 7 thanks to the TDR the game would either just flat out crash or constantly recover the Nvidia display driver with error 4101 over and over and over and over again. This would start about 3-15 minutes into play or just randomly.

In windows xp - the game will just freeze and I can ctrl+alt+delete out of it and close it, eventually it will try to recover and I will see things like in this image (http://www.mediafire.com/?qr7d939rixbb6vo).

BUT nothing happens when I stress test the system. I have tried Furmark and fluid mark both with maximum settings with a burn in test on furmark there were minor artifacts but no freezing or crashing. I have tested the memory with memtest 86 and nothing is wrong, I have tried almost every driver on nvidia's/geforce's site. And nothing is wrong with directx tests.

So far I have gotten BSoD error 116 in windows 7, and in windows XP I have gotten:

Thread_stuck_in_Device_driver 0x100000ea parameter 1: 0x8a32ada8 and
kernel_mode_exception_not_handled 0x1000008e paramater 1:0xe0000001

Also just earlier I heard a shrill, vibrating, whistle coming from my PSU during a burn in, I don't know if that is normal or not.

Basically I am at a loss and I have an ongoing RMA that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Any sound advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 12:29:35 AM

I don't know much about Laptops in general they have pretty much the same as a PC. So my guess it is your PSU that is going out on you. I would take into a shop and have them check out the PSU.

All the errors and the BSOD and freezing. All are systoms of a bad PSU. Or at least it is on it's way out. In my opinion that would be my guess. Let us know what the shop had to tell you.

If that is what you did. If you got that sound from the PSU. That is not normal, I do wish you good luck on this.
m
l
March 17, 2012 1:58:24 AM

I have had the PSU tested it is outputting 20.3v steady, I bought a new PSU from the same place and as soon as I play the game it freezes. However I can play fine on battery power only.
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 2:42:05 AM

Well there is something wrong between the two that is causing your problem.
Maybe you are getting to much power from power adaptor.
Like I said I don't know to much about Laptops but I had to give my thought on this.
You see what I am saying. In your own words when you play on battery you play just fine.
But as soon as you put power to it it freezes. So it is in between them. Good luck to you, sorry I wasn't any help.
m
l
!