PSU cable halp

Status
Not open for further replies.

shabooty

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Hey guys,
I currently have the Seasonic s12 bronze (720) psu with my rig. I'm pretty new to computers, so I just discovered the ability to put 2 GPU's in a single build. One thing confuses me however. I want to get another Gigabyte 7950, but im confused about how the power cabling works :( . Here is what confuses me:

My GPU requires 2 6pin power connectors. My psu came with 2, so how am I going to Crossfire since Im 2 short?

My graphics card also came with 2 of these: (sorry for the long URL)
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=psu+has+2+6+pin&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=W_ygbnJSR0vPiM:&imgrefurl=http://www.overclock.net/t/1273843/psu-suggestion-for-my-new-build&docid=-IbbYircgx6LJM&imgurl=http://cdn.overclock.net/7/75/350x350px-LL-75c75202_molex-pcie.gif&w=350&h=350&ei=tUhJUNDNCoru9AT0zIHYDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=393&vpy=305&dur=2013&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=160&ty=135&sig=104521296652511046986&page=1&tbnh=149&tbnw=149&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:97

It looks like a 6 pin connector, but it only has 5....one of the slots doesn't have anything in it :??:
The other end fits into the HDD peripheral connector on my PSU. Can I use these to power my GPU(s)?

Sorry if I come off as confusing, like I said, I'm pretty new to computers, any help at all would be great!

Solution
GPU's come with those cable specifically for situations like yours, though a rule of thumb that i tend to go by is that if the PSU does not have the connectors, then it is not meant to inherently sustain that particular part. I like my PSU's to nativley support multiple GPU's, if i had to use one of those cables, then i probably wouldn't do a multi-GPU setup at all. The short anwser though is yes, you can use those to power the second GPU (or both), but you'll have to use two of them as those cards have more then just a single 6-pin as you know.

Also what wattage is your PSU?, as i can't find a 720w Seasonic S12 PSU (i assume it's 720 watts since you put "(720)" in your first sentence.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I'm curious about the "but it only has 5....one of the slots doesn't have anything in it", but if it came with your graphics card it's intended to solve just the problem you are having.

While many power supplies may not have four 6-pin connectors, almost all power supplies have some extra molex connectors (the connectors in your pic) available. The adapters they included are intended to use the power from those "extra" connectors to power the graphics card.

CDdude55

Distinguished
GPU's come with those cable specifically for situations like yours, though a rule of thumb that i tend to go by is that if the PSU does not have the connectors, then it is not meant to inherently sustain that particular part. I like my PSU's to nativley support multiple GPU's, if i had to use one of those cables, then i probably wouldn't do a multi-GPU setup at all. The short anwser though is yes, you can use those to power the second GPU (or both), but you'll have to use two of them as those cards have more then just a single 6-pin as you know.

Also what wattage is your PSU?, as i can't find a 720w Seasonic S12 PSU (i assume it's 720 watts since you put "(720)" in your first sentence.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.