Sudden system shutdowns?

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Hey all, I've got a quick investigative question. About two months back we had a storm and my pc took a quick double hit power outage/brown out. It was on a UPSat the time but I didn't realize that the battery was dead. Anyway, the UPS has since been replaced. However maybe once every 3-10 days or so, the system will suddenly power off whether during gaming or just on screensaver. It could happen twice in one day or not for a week. And now it hasn't happend for about 2 weeks. The On button is unresponsive until I turn off the power supply, wait a couple seconds, and then turn on the PSU. Then I can start the system and all is normal. Do y'all think the problem is completely in my PSU, or could the mobo be involved in some way? System runs pretty cool overall with very good airflow. All opinions appreciated.

My power supply is a:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817167016

Asus mobo (I forget which model)
Athlon 2500+ Barton mildly OC'ed to 2800+
1.5GB RAM (mixed name brands)
X1600 Pro 512

sailer

Splendid
Sounds like your power supply ate it. Something similar happened to me last winter during a storm. I ended up replacing the PSU, but also found that my hard disc got damaged and it had to be replaced too. With those two items replaced, my computer has worked fine since.

TRENDING THREADS