Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • SLI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 17, 2012 3:48:27 AM

I was reading the Tom's article about how GTX 460 1GB in SLI mode demolished a single GTX 480 card, but the benchmarks were run on a board that supported both lanes of PCIe X16. If I SLI'd the GTX 460 on my board I would drop to x8/x8 lanes of bandwidth. How would two GTX 460s 1GB compare to one GTX 480 if my SLI was x8/x8 and a single GTX 480 would be x16? I mention GTX 480 because it was the card that was in the article, but in reality, I am trying to decide between GTX 460 1GB SLI OR single GTX 560 TI.

Thank you all!

MB: MSI Z68A-gd80
CPU: i5 2500K, currently stock speed
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8 GB 1600 MHz low latency
PSU: RaidMax 730 watts

More about : gtx 460 sli question

a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 3:59:16 AM

eh, the GTX 460's in SLI is a guild build. and the 560 ti is a good card to. but if you get a 560 ti, your gonna want to SLI since its going to be "Not enough" in the near future. If it was me, and i could afford it. the 460's in SLI will be fine. But Wait it out if you can. NVIDIA's new kepler gen is supposed to be out in a few days now.....(Fingers Crossed) and just one Kepler card may just blow away the 460 SLi or one 560 ti

But as for your question about X8/X8, you won't notice much of a Bandwidth performance decrease between x8x8 and x16x16. as for the 480. I wouldn't get because i hear it has temp issues and such.
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:01:39 AM

You would lose so little performance it would really be intangible to your eyes and mouse we are talking less than perhaps 3% max performance degradation and you will still be faster than a GTX 580 in games that scale well in SLI let alone GTX 480.
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:03:17 AM

I agree if your gonna do anything wait and see a=what kepler brings to offer
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:09:44 AM

momazboy said:
I agree if your gonna do anything wait and see a=what kepler brings to offer

Kelper will never touch the phenomenal price performance ratio of GTX 460 SLI well at leased until Kelper is as old as GTX 460.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 4:16:26 AM

Demon slayer said:
Kelper will never touch the phenomenal price performance ratio of GTX 460 SLI well at leased until Kelper is as old as GTX 460.

And your proof is?, Dude, the rumors, the benches, the speculation. We all read online, Little of it is Legit. Don't judge a Book before its been published bro
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:17:10 AM

Demon slayer said:

true but just my opinion that if someone wanted to do something at this time I would wait for kepler and just see what they offer ,not that its a sure thing for a price range but you never know what they will bring to table
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:29:02 AM

Rockdpm said:
And your proof is?, Dude, the rumors, the benches, the speculation. We all read online, Little of it is Legit. Don't judge a Book before its been published bro

You will never find close to GTX 580 performance for under $300 in the Nvidia camp unless you go with GTX 460 SLI like you can with Radeons 6850 CF and 7850
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:31:20 AM

momazboy said:
true but just my opinion that if someone wanted to do something at this time I would wait for kepler and just see what they offer ,not that its a sure thing for a price range but you never know what they will bring to table

Well unless it's some phenomenal pricing and performance that there bringing I am not interested in the leased bit LOL.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 4:49:06 AM

Demon slayer said:
You will never find close to GTX 580 performance for under $300 in the Nvidia camp unless you go with GTX 460 SLI like you can with Radeons 6850 CF and 7850

Yes but we arent talking about a 580, were talking about Kepler. which is next Generation. better performance.
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:52:46 AM

Demon slayer said:
Well unless it's some phenomenal pricing and performance that there bringing I am not interested in the leased bit LOL.

Like I said thats why I would wait, Just in case but u never know they may bring a phenomenal card for 400 or even 350 maybe , so to me I would go for that rather then cf or sli. might as well wait and see so you dont kick your self later
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:01:43 AM

Rockdpm said:
Yes but we arent talking about a 580, were talking about Kepler. which is next Generation. better performance.

Nvidia has always been priced higher than Radeon that being said the 7950 is $450 so you can bet that Nvidias counter will be $500 this is just they way they operate.
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:11:54 AM

Demon slayer said:
Nvidia has always been priced higher than Radeon that being said the 7950 is $450 so you can bet that Nvidias counter will be $500 this is just they way they operate.

they have always been priced higher but for 20 to 40 more if its worth it then Thats the way to go,it all depnds on how much performance you want and what your willing to spend,580 for $ 450 or 7970 for $550 id go 580 and that cards how old but still competes with amd's newest card. we dont know so might as well wiat .
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:17:54 AM

momazboy said:
they have always been priced higher but for 20 to 40 more if its worth it then Thats the way to go,it all depnds on how much performance you want and what your willing to spend,580 for $ 450 or 7970 for $550 id go 580 and that cards how old but still competes with amd's newest card. we dont know so might as well wiat .

No it's the 7950 for $450 that competes with Nvidia 580 and it's faster than the GTX 580 @ $500 plus with Nvidia you pay more for only slight performance gains but with Radeon you just get a better price performance ratio.
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:24:53 AM

Demon slayer said:
No it's the 7950 for $450 that competes with Nvidia 580 and it's faster than the GTX 580 @ $500 plus with Nvidia you pay more for only slight performance gains but with Radeon you just get a better price performance ratio.

Im not a fan boy ,I currently have a radeon 5870 but i have to be real to what i see, nvidia 580 competes with the newest amd's cards so I have to say wait and see whats brought to the table just to be on safe side,im not saying its a sure thing but at this time in the game i would wait.
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:32:25 AM

momazboy said:
Im not a fan boy ,I currently have a radeon 5870 but i have to be real to what i see, nvidia 580 competes with the newest amd's cards so I have to say wait and see whats brought to the table just to be on safe side,im not saying its a sure thing but at this time in the game i would wait.

Nvidias 580 is barley faster than 7870 mid range not 7950/70 high end.
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:39:37 AM

How can yo say barley faster ? and say mid range for 7950/70,your losing me . From the benchmarks ive seen the 580 is a competitor with the 7970 and for a hundred dollars less I personally would choose the 580. where are you going and what grounds do you have to stand on?? Im not an expert but I read the facts
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 5:40:30 AM

Demon slayer said:

Ok enough. If we were here to compare the NVIDIA vs AMD solutions, we'd be in a different forum. Now the Original Poster asked a Simple questin. Which would be better: GTX 460 SLI or 1 560 ti. There is no need to debate down to the grain of sand on what card performs better than what. Because hes not looking to get high end. he just wants the best option. from NVIDIA. he didn't say he wanted AMD. So go take a Chill pill.

And the reason we say kepler is because, for 1, pricing is gonna drop some more making 2 560 ti's a deal. And even Kepler cards may do better than expected. So enough jabber about 7950/70 vs 580. If you want to debate for that. We have a Forum thread for it.....
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:43:42 AM

Demon slayer said:

You better google some more and do some research,Like I said im just going by what Im reading but to me (AND i COULD BE WRONG) NVIDIA IS GOING TO BE THE STRONGER CARD
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:49:29 AM

Rockdpm said:
Ok enough. If we were here to compare the NVIDIA vs AMD solutions, we'd be in a different forum. Now the Original Poster asked a Simple questin. Which would be better: GTX 460 SLI or 1 560 ti. There is no need to debate down to the grain of sand on what card performs better than what. Because hes not looking to get high end. he just wants the best option. from NVIDIA. he didn't say he wanted AMD. So go take a Chill pill.

And the reason we say kepler is because, for 1, pricing is gonna drop some more making 2 560 ti's a deal. And even Kepler cards may do better than expected. So enough jabber about 7950/70 vs 580. If you want to debate for that. We have a Forum thread for it.....

I apoligize as I got caried away , Your right this is not the thread for that. Im sorry once again,I suggest 560 sli would be best
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 7:05:06 AM

I have 460's SLI'ed and ran a comparison several weeks ago in 3DMark 11 against a guy with a 580. I beat him. I even downclocked my 2500K to match his AMD CPU at 3.2GB.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 2:31:50 PM

momazboy said:
I apoligize as I got caried away , Your right this is not the thread for that. Im sorry once again,I suggest 560 sli would be best

Thank you for your Cooperation. Glad you see it my way
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:07:14 PM

Rockdpm said:

LOL I alway find it funny how when you get the Nvidia fanboys into a corner and show them the truth that perhaps Nvidia is not the best option more often than not they back pedal just like you did "oh it not what this is about LOL" this is just fact bro stop acting like nvidia is a church and religion LOL.
m
l
March 17, 2012 4:12:51 PM

momazboy said:
You better google some more and do some research,Like I said im just going by what Im reading but to me (AND i COULD BE WRONG) NVIDIA IS GOING TO BE THE STRONGER CARD

I did do research and the 7870 is beating out or coming very close to GTX 580 for much less money this is the point Nvidia has piss poor price/performance and the only thing Nvidia can do is a price drop and die shrink to stay competitive with Radeon we don't need more performance 200fps is useless LOL. Radeon is about Effecience and vaule Nvidia is about commanding top dollar for a slightly faster card LOL I hope they change there police but this is the way it has been for a long time.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 4:36:29 PM

Demon slayer said:
I did do research and the 7870 is beating out or coming very close to GTX 580 for much less money this is the point Nvidia has piss poor price/performance and the only thing Nvidia can do is a price drop and die shrink to stay competitive with Radeon we don't need more performance 200fps is useless LOL. Radeon is about Effecience and vaule Nvidia is about commanding top dollar for a slightly faster card LOL I hope they change there police but this is the way it has been for a long time.

Yes but....what we all fail to remember is, it takes a new Generation AMD card to beat a Previous Gen NVIDIA card.....Where is the comparison vs the current?. because its gonna get smoked!
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:11:09 PM

Rockdpm said:
Yes but....what we all fail to remember is, it takes a new Generation AMD card to beat a Previous Gen NVIDIA card.....Where is the comparison vs the current?. because its gonna get smoked!

What matters is playable performance for the dollar spent and Radeon has that who cares if you are paying top dollar for bragging rights so you can get 150fps in SC2 on Nvidia LOL that's the point ?. Value is what is need because even in the current last gen on 5xx 4xx and 69xx and 68xx the performance is already there what we want is a price drop and increase in efficiency so we can save money on PSUs and power bill ect all the while maintaining 60fps min in games.
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:42:23 PM

Wow, that post really got off topic. :non:  As the OP, let me bring it back down to the original question. Guys, I currently have a GTX 460 1GB GC card. Which option is better performance by a long shot: SLI my GTX 460 in an X8/X8 configuration or buy a GTX 560 TI single card...(I have to spend money either way but buying the more expensive GTX 560 TI will mean I have to sell my GTX 460 first) Which of those options would yield better performance and would it be a significant increase in performance? Ok, now to entertain the other posters (Im not all greedy :D  ), suppose I do wait for this Keppler or whatever it is that is coming out, what is the speculated cost going to be for one of these cards? I am sure it will be a lot more expensive than the GTX 560 TI. I mention the GTX 560 TI because its about the best performing card that I can afford right now so price is always somewhat of a consideration.

Thanks guys!
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:47:06 PM

One more thought, Looking @ Toms hierarchy from March, it looks like the GTX 480 is better than the GTX 560 TI....is this true? I can get a decent price on a GTX 480 from TigerDirect...so that changes my question. SLI GTX 460 1GB or single GTX 480.
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:48:24 PM

milamdj said:
Wow, that post really got off topic. :non:  As the OP, let me bring it back down to the original question. Guys, I currently have a GTX 460 1GB GC card. Which option is better performance by a long shot: SLI my GTX 460 in an X8/X8 configuration or buy a GTX 560 TI single card...(I have to spend money either way but buying the more expensive GTX 560 TI will mean I have to sell my GTX 460 first) Which of those options would yield better performance and would it be a significant increase in performance? Ok, now to entertain the other posters (Im not all greedy :D  ), suppose I do wait for this Keppler or whatever it is that is coming out, what is the speculated cost going to be for one of these cards? I am sure it will be a lot more expensive than the GTX 560 TI. I mention the GTX 560 TI because its about the best performing card that I can afford right now so price is always somewhat of a consideration.

Thanks guys!

For you being that you already are setup for SLI GTX 460 and already own one GTX 460 just pick up another GTX 460 because it is the best bang for the buck right now and Kelper or Radeon will not change that being that you have already invested in a GTX 460.
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:51:56 PM

milamdj said:
One more thought, Look @ Toms hierarchy, it looks like the GTX 480 is better than the GTX 560 TI....is this true?

Not by a whole lot and I will have to interject and state that the 560ti OCed is dam near a GTX 480
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 7:07:13 PM

A. the 460 SLI, Thats my Final Answer!............

Congradulations! you just won 1 Millions Dollars! (Who wants to be a Millionare)
m
l
March 17, 2012 7:10:36 PM

Rockdpm said:
A. the 460 SLI, Thats my Final Answer!............

Congradulations! you just won 1 Millions Dollars! (Who wants to be a Millionare)

Yup GTX 460 SLI will consistently outperform a GTX 560ti and is still one of my top recommended setups for guys with a proper SLI Nvidia chipset.
m
l
a c 247 U Graphics card
March 17, 2012 7:22:39 PM

Guru3D uses the following games in their test suite, COD-MW, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2, Far Cry 2, Metro 2033, Dawn of Discovery, Crysis Warhead. Total fps (summing fps in each game @ 1920 x 1200) for the various options in parenthesis (single card / SL or CF) are tabulated below along with their cost in dollars per frame single card - CF or SLI:

$ 125.00 460-768 MB (314/592) $ 0.40 - $ 0.42
$ 210.00 560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862) $ 0.42 - $ 0.49

Two older 768 MB 460's (only 1 GB available now) will get ya 592 fps.....one factory OC'd 560 To gets ya 495 ..... thats an extra 100+ fps for lot less money.....2nd 460 is easy choice.

As for the x16 vs x8, it' going to make perhaps a 2-4 % difference on moist game tho on some like STALKER it will be almost 10%...... but you are talking a 20% difference for the two 460's in SLI.

m
l
March 17, 2012 7:36:29 PM

So it is safe to say that the GTX 460 SLI would blow the GTX 480 out of the water?
m
l
March 17, 2012 9:17:31 PM

Quote:
it's not just about right & wrong - it's about respect while doing it. I'm not on a "hate wagon" I just do not approve of your tactics and do not feel we need to be subjected to them. I don't care how much knowledge you have (or you think you have) if you can't present an argument in a civilized manor .... then don't!!!
-Bruce

Well I would say GTX 460 SLI for OP is the most logical option for him how about you (On Topic) ;-)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 1:07:42 AM

Yes the GTX 460 SLI is best option. Its Finalized.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 18, 2012 1:26:14 AM

Demon slayer said:
LOL I alway find it funny how when you get the Nvidia fanboys into a corner and show them the truth that perhaps Nvidia is not the best option more often than not they back pedal just like you did "oh it not what this is about LOL" this is just fact bro stop acting like nvidia is a church and religion LOL.

You are way out of line demon. As i said before. There is no law that says, i can't have NVIDIA as MY profile picture. If i liked Chili Cheese Fries, (Which i do) There is nothing you can say or do you change What i like or Buy. I am a consumer just like you. My money is my money. I spend it on what i want to. This Poster wants to know What he should make his Economical decision on, either GTX 460 SLI or 560 ti. Now all up and down your saying the new Radeons was built to compete with NVIDIA's GTX 580, When that is not true. 28nm is built to compete in 28nm. If you think trotting down main street because your new 7970 just does beat NVIDIA's GTX 580, i got news flash for you. Its OLD....OLD Graphics card. Which means going on almost at 2 years on the Market. Also NVIDIA's GTX 680 stomps all over your 7970 :kaola: 

Your a Apprentice. Which is fine, i won't question anyone's knowledge. but let me share something with you. I am going to college to be Certified in Hardware Engineering. So its a bit of a plus for me.

I know a little about the Graphics marketing to know that NVIDIA may charge little by little more and more every new architecture but it in general beats AMD's same level Radeon cards. So.....By all means Enjoy your AMD card. I will USE NVIDIA until AMD does things:

1. Fixes their drivers
2. Have their Partnering Manufactures make more Black PCB video cards instead of Red and Blue (Yuck)

m
l
!