TPM SUPPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hello,
i HAVE A GIGABYTE Z77XUD5 mOTHERBOARD It has tpm support. Can you tell me what it stands for and do I need it enabled. wHAT ARE THE BENEFITS I have windows 7 64 bit 16 gigs corsair memory Core I7 PROCESSOR 3RD GENERATION THE NEW ONE

i WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THIS!

Solution
TPM stands for Trusted Platform Module. It is a chip that is used as a security feature if you are using something like Bitlocker Encryption to secure your data. What it does is you can set your encryption so that it will deny access to the files if it doesn't detect your TPM. This helps prevent sensitive information from falling into the wrong hands if the hard drive is stolen, and the thief tries to access the drive on another computer.

If you aren't encrypting your data and using the TPM as an extra layer of security, you don't need it turned on. If you have encrypted your boot drive with Bitlocker encryption and are using the TPM for security, you will need it enabled for your computer to even boot up.
TPM stands for Trusted Platform Module. It is a chip that is used as a security feature if you are using something like Bitlocker Encryption to secure your data. What it does is you can set your encryption so that it will deny access to the files if it doesn't detect your TPM. This helps prevent sensitive information from falling into the wrong hands if the hard drive is stolen, and the thief tries to access the drive on another computer.

If you aren't encrypting your data and using the TPM as an extra layer of security, you don't need it turned on. If you have encrypted your boot drive with Bitlocker encryption and are using the TPM for security, you will need it enabled for your computer to even boot up.

Solution

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

Thank you that helps! I won't be enabling it..

Thanks Again

Steve

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi I have another question? If you do not mind.PCI ROM Priority There are 2 options for this.Legacy rom, and efi compatable rom Now efi compatable rom is the option that is the deafult, but is it the one that will work best in your opinion.

Thanks again

Steve

I would just stick with the default if you aren't having problems. The Legacy ROM is for if you have older devices you want to connect to your motherboard, ones that don't play well with the newer EFI BIOS. Unless you have a very old sound card or hard drive, or something along those lines that you want to use with this machine, just keep that setting on the default EFI compatible ROM.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.