Budget intel gaming pc

Approximate Purchase Date: June 1st-15th

Budget Range: as low as possible (200-300)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: mouse, monitor, OS, case, optical drive, 2x 6800 gs radeon graphics cards, RAIDMAX RX-450K 450W ATX12V Power Supply, case (not sure of brand but dimensions are approx. 18.5x16.5x7.5 LxWxH in inches)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com (reputable?)

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Not at the moment

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900 for now

Additional Comments: This is my first build and while I would love an i7 3770k with a z77 board geforce 680 etc., I'm on a strict budget right now and would like to play D3. D3 is the main game I will be playing for at least 6 months, so not too concerned about graphics, just want to play on medium settings with enjoyable fps (30+ minimum) and low settings if I have to until I can upgrade gpu. As mentioned I already have the case, psu, optical drive and gpu's (I know they suck please don't remind me) so I need a cpu and mobo, ram, hdd (and a keyboard if you know of a good cheap wireless one) as well as a few fans (please help with how many/brand/size if you can!) and anything else you guys tell me I need. I would rather have the better motherboard (z77/z68) over the cpu at the moment (I think, my plan is to upgrade the gpu asap, and then the cpu when I need more processing power..you guys can weigh in on my line of thinking) and at least an i3 2100 cpu but I don't know if there's a way to get a z77/sandy bridge processor with this budget right now so if you know of any good deals feel free to share..I do live within an hour or so of a micro center which I am ready to drive to if they have the best deal. I also need help with SLI, this is my first time trying it so if you have any tips or if it's as easy as placing a little connector on them let me know. I have done my hardware research and am ready I just want some of your expert advice on my build and I want to make sure everything will be compatible and functional. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your help!!
14 answers Last reply
More about budget intel gaming
  1. gatorjake88 said:
    I do live within an hour or so of a micro center which I am ready to drive to if they have the best deal.

well lets just say that just saved you ALOT of money. Microcenter has the lowest i5/i7 prices you can get, and i believe they have a 50$ off a mobo when you buy a processor deal.

so what EXACTALLY do you need. i can tell you need an cpu and mobo, but do you need ram?
  2. Lol yea sorry forgot about that. I'm going to edit the OP
  3. If your build goes over a little bit I'd still be open to suggestions and maybe I can try to shave off a few bucks here and there. I really want a sufficient build and if there's great deals I could probably stretch it a little bit. My main concern is bang for the buck.
  4. in the budget of 300, it would be impossible to fit an i5-2500k+sli/crossfire ready z68 with ram and an hdd, which is sad.

i would suggest getting an i3-2100 from microcenter for 90$+tax
    then allocate 45$ for Corsair 2x4gb 1600 sticks
    which leaves 300-45-97(ill say 97 is post tax price for now)= 145, which now im in a rut, because a crossfire ready mobo is ~125$ leaving basically nothing for a hdd
  5. just get the z68 mobo +hd5770+i3 2100 is better for playing the daiblo 3
  6. slightly over budget but
    Microcenter's i3-2100 90$

Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4gb Blue Red 45$

Asrock Pro-4 Z77 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue 180$

MSI-Z77A-G43 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue 175$

Total Cost for Asrock: 315$ before tax and shipping
    Total Cost for MSI: 310$ before tax and shipping

the z77 boards gives you some room to crossfire/sli ready and is open to change cpu whenever you choose to buy one in the future.
  7. in the budget of 300, it would be impossible to fit an i5-2500k+sli/crossfire ready z68 with ram and an hdd, which is sad.

Yea, sad :( What about the microcenter deal where you get a $50 off a z77 mobo with an intel cpu purchase you were talking about? Maybe that could work a little bit of wiggle room in there. I'm really upset hdd's have doubled in price over the last 6 months, do you think there's any chance they could drop back down in the forseeable future? I'm open to getting an i3 2100/2120 for now; that should do me just fine for a year or two and then I can get an ivy bridge i7 when they drop to 200-250 (fingers crossed!). I do plan on getting a better gpu asap so I won't need SLI for long, but I don't want to have to upgrade mobos again for awhile so if one had usb 3 sata 6 SLI and overclock capabilities etc. I don't have to have the best mobo...just want room to upgrade other components without HAVING to buy a new mobo to do so.
  8. assassin123 said:
    just get the z68 mobo +hd5770+i3 2100 is better for playing the daiblo 3

Do you have a specific z68 mobo? There's tons of them out there at all different prices and I'm trying to find which one with the most features I can fit into my budget.
  9. Total Cost for Asrock: 315$ before tax and shipping
    Total Cost for MSI: 310$ before tax and shipping

the z77 boards gives you some room to crossfire/sli ready and is open to change cpu whenever you choose to buy one in the future.

That definitely looks nice, and I would like to go ahead and put the 8gb of ram in now, but that's 315 w/o an hdd, so I don't think I can work ~415. Do you think the z77 is worth the money for the extra features it offers to someone like me--not a really demanding pc user--over a z68? I found this z68 mobo for $85 at newegg.com

ASRock Z68M/USB3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
  10. gatorjake88 said:

That definitely looks nice, and I would like to go ahead and put the 8gb of ram in now, but that's 315 w/o an hdd, so I don't think I can work ~415. Do you think the z77 is worth the money for the extra features it offers to someone like me--not a really demanding pc user--over a z68? I found this z68 mobo for $85 at newegg.com

ASRock Z68M/USB3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard

no its 315 with a 500 gb hdd, its a combo deal to shave off $
  11. Okay, so I put together this build on PCPartPicker.com for $341:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8v2e

It includes an i3 2120 because the 2100's on their site were $113, so the 2120 was only $4 more. Going to microcenter should knock off $25 there, putting me at $315 or so. What do you think of this build's strengths and weaknesses for the money? Will it be compatible with the parts I already have?
  12. gatorjake88 said:
    Okay, so I put together this build on PCPartPicker.com for $341:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8v2e

It includes an i3 2120 because the 2100's on their site were $113, so the 2120 was only $4 more. Going to microcenter should knock off $25 there, putting me at $315 or so. What do you think of this build's strengths and weaknesses for the money? Will it be compatible with the parts I already have?

your mobo doesnt support crossfire/sli
  13. dudewitbow said:
    no its 315 with a 500 gb hdd, its a combo deal to shave off $

Oh I see now. Nice I'm going to check that out. Thanks a lot for your help!
  14. Newegg has a deal for a Pentium G620 and a mother board for $109.98 plus there's a $30 mail in rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.915538

I'm not sure but, I think this CPU and a really nice GPU might work. I designed a low end gaming build that cost $263.69 with shipping. You could take this, get a better PSU and GPU. Here's the thread with my build.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/346916-31-budget-gaming-work
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product