I5 2500k pcie2.0 1x16x lane - CF 7970's and bottlenecking

NewbiTLorD

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hello everyone,

This is my first time ever posting on this forum, although I have been reading Tomshardware for a long time as it has been a great source of information and I am a bit of a Hardware enthusiast but due to lack funds (thanks to the missus and house) I was unable to build the machine I wanted and have been out of the Tech Market for a while, but my current build of a computer I am unsure if my system is bottlenecking at all.

I have read many conflicting articles and forums online, scouring through them for the past 2 to 3 weeks and still am unsure of the information I have found. I am currently running the below listed specs and was wondering if the Core i5 2500k automatically splits its PCIE 2.0 16x into 2 8x lanes or if it is a manual setting, as reading up on it, it only supports a single PCIE 2.0 lane at 16x according to Intel's website.

My Motherboard though supports PCIE 3.0, but of course I don't have an Ivy Bridge to utilize that. Another note to add is that I am running Eyefinity 5040x1050 due to one of my monitors not supporting 1080p.

Core i5 2500k (at stock with H80 cooler).
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 M/Board.
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 2x4gb.
2x ATI Radeon 7970 Reference cards (ghz bios).
240gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD
850w Coolermaster PSU

I was also wondering if there would be a considerable increase of performance if I were to switch to a E-Series i7 core seeings as it supports 10x PCIE 2.0 lanes at 16x.

Sorry if I am posting this in the incorrect forum.

Solution
you'd have to get a new motherboard as well if you went i7E.
i5 2500k supports 16 lanes of PCIe2.0 the lanes can be distributed in any way.
The Z77 extreme 4 supports Xfire in X8 X8 mode so there's no compatability issue.
In multi thereaded media apps you would see a performance increase with i7E but there would be absolutely no difference in gaming. I wouldn't recommend the upgrade.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
you'd have to get a new motherboard as well if you went i7E.
i5 2500k supports 16 lanes of PCIe2.0 the lanes can be distributed in any way.
The Z77 extreme 4 supports Xfire in X8 X8 mode so there's no compatability issue.
In multi thereaded media apps you would see a performance increase with i7E but there would be absolutely no difference in gaming. I wouldn't recommend the upgrade.

Solution