Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Modest gaming build help

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 19, 2012 6:55:56 AM

My girlfriend wants to get in on the D3 action, but her old machine won't do it. Instead of upgrading her 5+ year old beast, it's time to go new. I wanted to stay about $600, and I got it. However, it's been a while and I am a bit rusty. I tried to go off of a guide from this site, but I may have been too late as some parts are sold out. Could anyone take a look at this and let me know if I missed anything, incompatibilities, or suggest alternatives?


CPU
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$189.99

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$119.99

RAM
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$22.99

PSU
COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US 450W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$44.99

Video
GIGABYTE GV-R667D3-1GI Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$64.99

HDD
Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$99.99

Case
NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$39.99

Optical Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$16.99

Total - $599.92

Thanks for the help!

More about : modest gaming build

May 19, 2012 8:46:05 AM

I really Recommend Going nvidia, I Personally Dont play Diablo but i heard there were some Problems with the 6000 Series Drivers, Dont Know if Its Fixed but , If its for your Girlfriend and you dont want her To Read Forums, Get her a Gtx 550 ti, Lower Down to An I3 2100.

Video of the Gtx 550 Ti Running Diablo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-nGxwczcEI


Nvidia is Just Click and Upgrade Drivers, no Pain.

Related resources
May 19, 2012 8:49:06 AM

chulex67 said:
I really Recommend Going nvidia, I Personally Dont play Diablo but i heard there were some Problems with the 6000 Series Drivers, Dont Know if Its Fixed but , If its for your Girlfriend and you dont want her To Read Forums, Get her a Gtx 550 ti, Lower Down to An I3 2100.

Video of the Gtx 550 Ti Running Diablo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-nGxwczcEI


Nvidia is Just Click and Upgrade Drivers, no Pain.


Toms review on performance on diii

550ti is never a good card to use for its price. the problem of cards on d3 had nothing to do with the 6k series. catalyst 12.4 was rejecting 4k series and lower cards so users of those series had to revert back to 12.3. all of the 6k series should work fine on D3
May 19, 2012 8:53:59 AM

dudewitbow said:
Toms review on performance on diii

550ti is never a good card to use for its price. the problem of cards on d3 had nothing to do with the 6k series. catalyst 12.4 was rejecting 4k series and lower cards so users of those series had to revert back to 12.3. all of the 6k series should work fine on D3




I have a 6850 Crossfire setup, and every time i get a problem with the Drivers i Fix it or Wait for an Update. Now, This Pc is for His Girlfriend, Dont you Think It would be Better To give her a Painless Experience with Nvidia that is just Click and Update?.

Thx for the info of the Drivers, I really didnt know what was the problem
May 19, 2012 8:08:32 PM

Excellent input. I have saved money and gotten better equipment, thank you!
May 19, 2012 8:11:43 PM

chulex67 said:
I have a 6850 Crossfire setup, and every time i get a problem with the Drivers i Fix it or Wait for an Update. Now, This Pc is for His Girlfriend, Dont you Think It would be Better To give her a Painless Experience with Nvidia that is just Click and Update?.

Thx for the info of the Drivers, I really didnt know what was the problem

First mistake you made was CFing two low end cards. It is always better to go with one stronger card. Another mistake was CFing two cards that have the most CF problems out of the 6xxx series. Before putting on the fanboyism, provide proof to back up your claims...
May 20, 2012 3:46:17 AM

azeem40 said:
First mistake you made was CFing two low end cards. It is always better to go with one stronger card. Another mistake was CFing two cards that have the most CF problems out of the 6xxx series. Before putting on the fanboyism, provide proof to back up your claims...




wow, so were is your comment to the OP? You are just using your comment for telling me iam a "Noob" or a "Fanboy". First Of all I got the 6850 crossfire when they New so there was no reviews on crossfire stuttering i think tomshardware review it in august of 2011 and The 6850 Crossfire setup Max every game i want in 1080p. And Offer Very Good Performance for their price, Tomshardware even called them the "Sweet Spot" In graphic Cards of Last Year. So Dont Come and tell me About Mistakes i give, or about iam a Fanboy im suggesting the op a Nvidia card even when i have a crossfire setup because i know first hand how amd drivers works, and you If you Want Proof theres alot of Articles to Read about them, and like I said, I got them When They arrived at Microcenter in Reference size.

Pd: Dont reply if you dont have anything to say to the Op

!