Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD FX-8150 on a 95w motherboard

Last response: in Components
Share
September 7, 2012 11:22:19 AM

I just recently bought an AMD FX-8150 which is a 125w processor, I was unawares that my motherboard only supports up to 95w processors.

when I first installed my CPU it was displayed as 2.8ghz so I went in to the bios and i manually cranked up the multiplier untill it was at stock speeds at 3.6ghz

i have read through several threads about 125w CPUs in 95w Mobos but i really just want to be safe

so far i have detected no problems at all
idle at 34-38 degrees celsius
and full load around 72 degrees celsuis

i have left my computer on for 2 consecutive nights with no problems
and have have run Prime95 for 2 minutes

my systems specs are as follows:
AMD FX-8150 with stock cooler
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P rev 4.0 760g
Cooler master Cunturion 590
2x 120mm case fans
Sapphire Radeon HD6450

I would really appreciate some insight on the topic
whether I am PROBABLY good and dont need to worry or...
I should quickly go to he nearest store and buy a fire extinguisher

thanks
September 7, 2012 11:45:56 AM

According to the online manual it can handle 125w cpus.
Related resources
September 7, 2012 11:57:03 AM

I know its not supported but I have seen and heard of lots of people managing to use 125w cpus on 95w motherboards

I was just hoping my motherboard would be able to handle it for around a year untill i can cough up enough cash for a better one

should i go and invest in some more fans?
October 22, 2012 10:49:59 PM

I was wondering that too. I've got the same mobo and CPU w/ stock fan and with the same clock rate as you. Yet, I've had nothing but problems, though. Windows Media Center would play live cable television and video files with micro-stutters that wouldn't fix itself until I rebooted. I downgraded the GPU card to a less power hungry HF7750 and uninstalled Catalyst Vision Engine but kept the video display drivers. Bios is set to Auto for all system speeds and voltages. So far it's better now, but the GPU still stutters for awhile after coming out of sleep. It could because I have a single HDD in my build. I'm running an HDHomeRun Prime to PVR cable TV.

The occasional stutters, especially when coming out of sleep is still not to my satisfaction yet I feel that swapping in a 95W cpu won't guarantee anything so I'm trolling the interwebs to get a straight up answer on that question about CPU wattage mismatches before I spend another $130 on an FX-8120.

Anybody have some insight into the problems I've been having?
May 10, 2013 2:14:33 PM

@uilymmot I have ALMOST the same mobo and CPU as you, only difference is my Mobo is rev1.1 and my Processor is FX-8320. my CPU is OC'd @ 4.3Ghz max temps around 50C-54C, idles at 26-28C.. I have a CM Hyper 212 EVO Push config as HSF. I haven't experienced any PERFORMANCE problems. It'll only crash if I try to Stress test it using Prime95 with clocks higher than 4.3Ghz.. but then again, I only had this for a couple of months, this thread is over 8 months old. Hows your CPU and Mobo now? do you still have them?
May 10, 2013 2:53:59 PM

r4in08 said:
@uilymmot I have ALMOST the same mobo and CPU as you, only difference is my Mobo is rev1.1 and my Processor is FX-8320. my CPU is OC'd @ 4.3Ghz max temps around 50C-54C, idles at 26-28C.. I have a CM Hyper 212 EVO Push config as HSF. I haven't experienced any PERFORMANCE problems. It'll only crash if I try to Stress test it using Prime95 with clocks higher than 4.3Ghz.. but then again, I only had this for a couple of months, this thread is over 8 months old. Hows your CPU and Mobo now? do you still have them?


Well my mobo currently is fine as far as I can tell and its working quite well, although I have never really tried to overclock with 8150 I believe you should be fine at stock speeds however I would advise you to avoid using maximum loads when overclocked cause these FX's can really draw up a tonne of watts when need be. However as you said you have had it for a couple of months, if it hasn't broken yet at you have stress tested it, it probably wont break anytime soon. :D 

May 10, 2013 3:09:07 PM

uilymmot said:

Well my mobo currently is fine as far as I can tell and its working quite well, although I have never really tried to overclock with 8150 I believe you should be fine at stock speeds however I would advise you to avoid using maximum loads when overclocked cause these FX's can really draw up a tonne of watts when need be. However as you said you have had it for a couple of months, if it hasn't broken yet at you have stress tested it, it probably wont break anytime soon. :D 



When you say STOCK speed you meant the advertised speed right? 'cause when I first slapped my CPU in my mobo it's stock speed is 2.1Ghz xD I only go abouve 75%-80% load when Stress testing (100% on prime95), when gaming and doing real world tasks it only goes up to 50%-65% max (on the apps and programs that i use).. still, I get this feeling that I have a ticking time bomb beside me. xD it made me paranoid since I learned about my MoBo's TDP xD

but check this site out: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-78LMT-S2%28re...

says there, my Mobo can Go upto 107w

and in here: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-78LMT-S2P%28r...

it says yours can actually handle 125w, I believe these are actual test results.
May 11, 2013 4:15:11 PM

Well if you see 4 little plastic boxes(mosfets) beside the cpu socket on the motherboard you should be fine, btw do you still have the box the motherboard came with? as long as it is 4+1 phase power design its fine

and chances are in real world applications you won't ever use the cpu to 100% so don't worry
May 11, 2013 10:13:54 PM

uilymmot said:
Well if you see 4 little plastic boxes(mosfets) beside the cpu socket on the motherboard you should be fine, btw do you still have the box the motherboard came with? as long as it is 4+1 phase power design its fine

and chances are in real world applications you won't ever use the cpu to 100% so don't worry

well yeah, it has those mosfets thingy, it's featured on the box: "Low RDS(on) Mosfets for High temp Protection". and according to Gigabyte's site, mine has a "Split Power Plane, 3+1 phase VRM". not 4+1, Should I start to worry? xD
May 12, 2013 12:14:45 AM

Not really as I said before, if it hasn't died yet it probably wont anytime soon
!