Make fan quieter

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Is there a way to make the fan quieter on my desktop?
I have it running 247 as a media centre and media server sitting behind the TV but the fan can become quite annoying...

If your fans are connected with a MOLEX connector; try switching the Red and Yellow cables within the MOLEX connector (requires a small flat head screw driver to remove the pin from the connector).

This will send 5V to the fan(s) instead of 12V, making the fans silent and reducing the airflow.

1. - new fans and/or a fan controller.
2. Series dropping resistor(less voltage for fan)
Do you know which fan(s) is the loudest? cpu, gpu or case
-Bruce
If the temps are ok you can do as mentioned above.

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I have Linux so I could use software to do it but isn;t a quieter fan a better option than allowing things to heat up more?

Sure, if you have the money to spend on quiet fans, that would be your best option.
Low RPM fans normally move quite a bit less air than loud high RPM fans though and will probably also have a negative impact on system temps.

What you really should do is see how hot your system gets now in order to determine how much cooling performance you can afford to lose.

If its on the floor and behind the Tv I'd reckon you are liable to have some dustbunnies in there, a good clean may be part of the solution but if you can add more fans, it lets you run them slower/quieter without losing airflow
Moto

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

will 2 fans side by side increase airflow or will 1 just take priority?
Where do I place a 2nd fan in the case?
Maybe I should just replace the existing one with another, do I go for double size to halve rpms?

If you double the size fan, you can run it slower but make sure you read the CFM rating on the fan to be sure its a good option,
A second fan, need a pic to decide where could be a good place, most likely you'll need to modify the case to allow this, don't be scared, moddings fun :)
and yes, if you add asecond fan side by side it will increase airflow
I just realised I answered your questions backwards though, hehe
Moto

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Main one I'm looking at at the moment is this:

Specifications
Fan size (edge to edge) 92 mm
Manufacturer Xilence
Model XPF92R
Air volume at full speed (12V), CFM ±10% 27.5
Noise level at full speed (12V), dB(A) 18
Fan speed at full speed (12V), RPM ±10% 1500

could get a bigger one I suppose.
Will send on a picture soon as I suppose the holes in the side of the case may need to be widened if I get a wider fan?

check the Fan roundup sticky at the top of cpu&components section for some recommendations,
27.5 Cfm isn't a lot and when its cranked is moving hardly any air at an annoying volume, better to get a higher Cfm fan, 60+ imo, and you can turn it down for those snuggle movies :p
have you had a look inside to check the heatsinks not clogged up yet?
and yes, a pic would let us know where we can tell you to hack an extra hole or two :)
Moto

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Just opened the case.
It doesn't seem like the fan is making much noise at all. I stopped it by running a plastic pen top on it for 1 second and the sound I'm hearing didn't stop.
So, it could be the GPU fan making the noise or could it be something else, could it be the CPU or the hard drive?

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Seems like it's the GPU fan, the smaller fan in the picture.
Is that replaceable? It looks fairly well packed in...

I don't see a graphics card there so I'm assuming you meant CPU fan,
Judging by the amount of dust in the rest of the case I'd say your Hs needs a good blowout and if you measure the fan, you can probably find a suitable replacement,
Moto

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

But a CPU fan of the same size? just higher quality?

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
But a CPU fan of the same size? just higher quality?
Doesn't everything need a graphics card or could this one be built in?

Whilst I'm at it, the small fan actually points to a funnel on the inside of the case which blows the air out a side vent so does the fan need to be smaller than this funnel?

No, the funnel you describe sucks air from the outside to the heatsink and tbh, you can unscrew it from your sidepanel and ditch it,
your whole case is covered in dust bunnies though, time for a cleanout :p
and your monitor lead plugs into a socket on the I/o panel at the back yes?
You are using onboard graphics, there is no graphics card in your Pc
but for the fan yes, you can either upgrade to a better aftermarket heatsink or just replace the fan with one of the same size, either way you will need to clean the fluff and dust from the heatsink that has accumulated there,
If you google 'replace heatsink' you should get some gluetube videos showing you how to remove the hs, clean and reapply thermalpaste and refit or replace with an aftermarket like the Hyper 212 for example
Moto

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010

Well current CPU temps seem to be 36 degrees under normal load, maybe up to 42 degrees when using video/xbmc, etc.
So, isn't that a reasonable temperature meaning that the current heatsink is doing the job?
Will a fan be sheaper than a package of heatsink+fan?
How much cfm should the SPU fan move to be effective but quiet?

42'c is a reasonable temp when under load yes, and buying a fan would be the cheapest option,
find out the size of the fan and we can google some replacement options, but 35Cfm is usually what I'd consider baseline, higher Cfm is better but more Cfm can come at the cost of noise, which you are trying to avoid here so no 110Cfm fans :)
Moto

qwertyjjj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Too late..I already got one of the hypers.
CPU now runs at an average of around 28 degrees.
Much quieter too!!!!

However, because the heatsink is so big, it takes up most of the case. The copper ends come fairly close to the side cover on the inside. Is there any problem if these touch the inside case?

There are now 4 fans inside the case, I missed some.
1 external that is on back.
1 CPU fan that may or may not be necessary but it's to be with the Hyper 212.
1 hard drive stack fan.
1 power unit fan, can't seem to get access to this one as it's closed off.

Does the hard drive fan really need to be on? Secondly, the CPU fan is only a few cms away from the back external fan so am not sure if that's needed but I'm sure it keeps the CPU cooler.

Hyper212 with two fans on is a great cooling solution, I'd leave the other fans alone, the hdd one may not be strictly necessary but as you said, it may be helping out if its pulling air in,don't think about touching the Psu fan at all unless you are a qualified electrician :p
no problems with the 212 touching the panel either so don't worry
Moto