Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Full red screen HELP!(Not RSoD)

Last response: in Systems
May 19, 2012 10:35:09 AM

So I built my first computer for main use as a gaming PC.
I have had it built for about 2 or 3 weeks now and it runs great!
Only problem is once a few days after the build and just today I have had my whole screen go red and my sound for whatever is on atm distorts and just locks up and i have to turn my comp off or reset the comp. I had to do a repair today afterwards but everything's up and running, Also it happened both on the onboard graphics and on my GTX 680 so I don't think that's the issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Specs:::
Sabertooth z77 asus
3770k ivy intel
4x4 ripjaw
coolmaster 850w psu
gtx 680 asus

More about : full red screen rsod

May 19, 2012 10:43:41 AM

What Were you doing While it happened?.

I know you already said you tried the Integrated Graphics and it happened the same, but could you watch this video and tell me if its the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAgpwQSNIY
m
l
May 19, 2012 10:56:54 AM

chulex67 said:
What Were you doing While it happened?.

I know you already said you tried the Integrated Graphics and it happened the same, but could you watch this video and tell me if its the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAgpwQSNIY

Yes but without the top light red bar. And like I said this issue happened first before I ever had my card using the inter-graded HD intel ivy bridge through my z77 sabertooth....And it has only happened twice the first time with the onboard graphics I was just watching an episode of the big bang theory online and just red and froze the sound distorted and stayed locked up distorted till i reset. The second time was today I had just minimized D3 and was checking skypoe with my friends then it did same thing and my friends voice was stuck distorted in like a runon of what he was saying. My comp runs at contant 20-30 C and my GPU never uses more than 60% on D3. Also just for my info you cant run your comp too cold right?
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2012 11:02:25 AM

Damn i didnt read it wasnt Rsod, If your System is Crashing, We can Figure out that its not, The Monitor or the Cable thats failing.

Theres only 2 options.

CPU or Motherboard.

Try Updating all the Drivers and Windows updates, Check the Temps of your Cpu. Theres a High probability that you have a Bad Motherboard. Have you Updated the Motherboard Bios?.
m
l
May 19, 2012 11:10:51 AM

Well It cant be to cold, or to hot.

Well This is new Hardware, there will be alot of people having the same problems with you, My cousin had a similar problem i dont think its the same because his problem was constant with youtube. Then We found Out that it was a Flash Error.

Do you have only windows 7 installed?.
m
l
May 19, 2012 11:12:06 AM

chulex67 said:
Damn i didnt read it wasnt Rsod, If your System is Crashing, We can Figure out that its not, The Monitor or the Cable thats failing.

Theres only 2 options.

CPU or Motherboard.

Try Updating all the Drivers and Windows updates, Check the Temps of your Cpu. Theres a High probability that you have a Bad Motherboard. Have you Updated the Motherboard Bios?.

Oh yeah man first thing i did after installing windows was to update all the drivers and bios to the newest. Only thing that gets me is its only happened twice in 3 weeks and randomly at that. I have played BF3 on highest settings for hours and never a hicup tear or lag at all but watching a video online and checking skype cause it to happen. I am using a cheap ass 7 HDMI from newegg I got like a year ago, and I think if an/or when it happens again i will try disconnecting and reattaching it just to see if that could be causing it.
Also, I did send a email to Asus tech support tonight and hope to hear back from then to see if they have any ideas.
m
l
May 19, 2012 11:17:06 AM

chulex67 said:
Well It cant be to cold, or to hot.

Well This is new Hardware, there will be alot of people having the same problems with you, My cousin had a similar problem i dont think its the same because his problem was constant with youtube. Then We found Out that it was a Flash Error.

Do you have only windows 7 installed?.

What do you mean? OS is only 7 64 bit. I have D3 BF3 steam firefox my mobo utilities ect ect ect installed.
My board has built in temp sensors and fan controls, pretty badass, but it is always at like 24 C and when I am running games on highest settings it may get to 35 C but mainly juist CPU everything else is 30 C
hmm cnat upload a sc of m,y temp griod right now everything isd sittings at 23 C
m
l
May 19, 2012 11:21:26 AM

Yeah, i searched the motherboard is really nice, it has a 9/10 Failure Rate, Only the Ram slots Failing. Nice buy, Well I think this problem is with the Drivers. Only Asus Tech Support Will tell. Hold in there buddy worst thing it could happen, its you Rma your motherboard and will not play 2 days.
m
l
May 19, 2012 11:23:37 AM

chulex67 said:
Yeah, i searched the motherboard is really nice, it has a 9/10 Failure Rate, Only the Ram slots Failing. Nice buy, Well I think this problem is with the Drivers. Only Asus Tech Support Will tell. Hold in there buddy worst thing it could happen, its you Rma your motherboard and will not play 2 days.

Ya lol i'm hoping it's just something dumb or an easy fix!
m
l
May 25, 2012 9:20:13 AM

So still getting issue asus tech support didn't help at all....
m
l

Best solution

June 4, 2012 5:22:45 PM

GTX 680 rsod Possible fix:

HI everybody, i have an asus extreme 3 gen 3 motherboard, i5 2500k not overclocked, 8 gigs of the best Kingston memory, ocz vertex 3 ssd, a second disc for storage, a 700W Coolermaster Silent (80 plus bronze). I have a standard version of Galaxy GTX 680, and i have the issue that when you run thru windows 7, everything goes just right, but when you run the WIndows experience test, all colors and image goes randomly disordered and well, finally RED SCREEN OF DEATH hehe.
Well, after a couple of day researching what could be the problem, i found that changing WINDOWS 7 resolution from 32 bits to 16 bits, all the problems went away, i was able to play dolphin and coming back to desktop with all eye candy without an issue, as well as running the full test of windows experience without problems. I haven't tested Battlefield 3 yet, but the system now seems rock-solid. I also tryed another monitor and the results were pretty different, but the same applies, if i turn 32 bits on resolution settings on NVIDIA drivers and run a 3d application or Windows 7 Aero transparencies etc. it crashes not IN windows but when turning windows experience or a full direct3d 9/11 game.
I would like to know if you guys get the same results changing the color depth and if you imagine a solution that doesn't imply seeing the awful wallpapers and menus of 16 bits. Nonetheless the 3d games looks the same as 32 bits... SO the problem is not in the 3d engine of my Video Card, neither in the NVIDIA driver itself... is in how windows 7/nvidia drivers control the operating system/applications exits, or testing for example under windows experience, because with 16 bit i could complete "the experience". For me is something to do with color reproduction mess up. :) 
June 11, 2012 2:34:26 AM

theres a new patch and gputweak that fixes it. for me it was asus software causing it.
m
l
Anonymous
July 9, 2012 11:41:22 PM

Hello meister4ever,

first of all, sorry for my english which is really bad.

I have exactly the same issue with windows experience index and my ASUS GTX 680.
my config is an asus p8H77 motherboard, intel i5-3570k not overclocked as well, 16 gigs of corsair 1600mhz, plextor ssd, a second Western Digital hdd, a 600W I don't remember the name 80 plus gold alim, an asus blu ray, and this f**king ASUS GTX 680.
Not only with windows index but also with the games, reading a blu ray or even while surfing I get this RSOD.
Some were talking about a problem with aida64 or gpuz but I have a clean install of windows and I didn't installed any monitoring or benchmarking software.
All drivers are up to date.
When starting a game, for sure it will end up with a RSOD.
Sometimes it freezes, with disgracious pixels, the screen goes black and then the image reappears with a faulty message of Nvidia driver.
Sometimes it goes red with nothing to do about it except a hard reset.

After reinstalling windows totally, same problem.
I've tried my old AMD radeon 5850 and... no problem at all.
So it's clearly coming from the graphic card.

A funny thing, when updating the bios of the motherboard, it solved the problem for 1 day and then rsod reappeared.
m
l
July 17, 2012 5:12:29 AM

Quote:
Hello meister4ever,

first of all, sorry for my english which is really bad.

I have exactly the same issue with windows experience index and my ASUS GTX 680.
my config is an asus p8H77 motherboard, intel i5-3570k not overclocked as well, 16 gigs of corsair 1600mhz, plextor ssd, a second Western Digital hdd, a 600W I don't remember the name 80 plus gold alim, an asus blu ray, and this f**king ASUS GTX 680.
Not only with windows index but also with the games, reading a blu ray or even while surfing I get this RSOD.
Some were talking about a problem with aida64 or gpuz but I have a clean install of windows and I didn't installed any monitoring or benchmarking software.
All drivers are up to date.
When starting a game, for sure it will end up with a RSOD.
Sometimes it freezes, with disgracious pixels, the screen goes black and then the image reappears with a faulty message of Nvidia driver.
Sometimes it goes red with nothing to do about it except a hard reset.

After reinstalling windows totally, same problem.
I've tried my old AMD radeon 5850 and... no problem at all.
So it's clearly coming from the graphic card.

A funny thing, when updating the bios of the motherboard, it solved the problem for 1 day and then rsod reappeared.

Get the Asus update for GPU tweak. It fixes it. It's not a driver but if you use gpu tweak it tries to pull a nonexistent file and rsods
m
l
Anonymous
July 24, 2012 9:11:19 PM

GPU tweak is not installed !!!
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:30:42 PM

Quote:
GPU tweak is not installed !!!

Then get it. it's either a driver error a gpu tweaker error. or your cards fucked.
m
l
July 31, 2012 1:31:13 PM

Best answer selected by viper0hr.
m
l
October 9, 2012 5:41:49 AM

For anyone with a Nvidia 600 series card suffering RED SCREEN OF DEATH (RSOD) issues. Here is how I resolved it. (Also, I had also just upgraded monitors to DELL Brand and installed the software that came with them - this may be important...see below)
After much research nothing I found seemed to fall into the same category of faults as what I was having. I.E. the main cause is widely reported as a software monitoring issue involving GPU TWEAK, or GPU -Z, or any other ASUS software. But I had none of these (Except Asus AI) installed - but I uninstalled AI anyway, without sucess.

I had no success in updating my ASUS BIOS.
I had limited success upgrading Nvidia drivers to 306.23. These drivers certainly allowed me to boot into the desktop environment but it was a lottery as to how long the system would last before the RSOD returned

RED SCREEN mainly occurred at startup just after logging in, leaving me no-where to go...couldn’t even CTRL-ALT-DELETE. What I found though was that if I adjusted my background wallpaper to cycle on a short period, i.e. only 60 seconds, then when the wallpaper changed (automatically after 60 seconds this seemed to force the graphics card out of it's RSOD and I would then be able to operate normally. The problem only returned after a reboot of the system.

The ultimate solution came in the form of a little known report about a program called softOSD, from EnTech Taiwan. It appears this got installed when I installed my DELL monitor drivers that came on the installation disk.
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softosd.shtm

Some people have reported that it's removal has been successful for them so I uninstalled and VIOLA - NO MORE RSOD!

Points to note...at the end of the uninstallation process I was asked to confirm the deletion of two files that were installed either before or after the softOSD software was installed. One was the softOSD .exe, which I selected for deletion.

The other however was a file called se64a.sys located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\se64a.sys

I researched this file here before deleting
http://systemexplorer.net/file-datab...4a-sys/1203889
http://www.pcmaxutilities.com/wikiex...fix-guide.html

IMPORTANT: Sometimes this se64a.sys file is disguised in other locations as a virus/trojan/spyware, especially if you find it located in these locations as described in the pcmaxutilities link above
•"C:\Windows"\se64a.sys
•"C:\Program Files\se64a.sys"
•"C:\Program Files\Common Files\se64a.sys"

Otherwise, if it appears in the location C:\Windows\System32\drivers\se64a.sys then it is a Windows system file that should indeed be there - SO I DID NOT DELETE THIS FILE when the uninstall asked me.

DISCLAIMER: I am certainly no wizard when it comes to these things so treat this post accordingly. This info is from my research and experience only.

I found that uninstalling softOSD via ADD/Remove Programs...or via the uninstall application found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\softOSD folder, worked for me.

Good Luck!
m
l
!