Sign in with
Your question

Help with a GPU upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 17, 2012 1:14:42 PM

Hi to you all, just wanting a bit of advice on a new card. I've mentioned my spec below and am toying with a GTX560ti, however my knowledge of cards is limited so if someone had a good idea on maybe crossfire with two cheaper cards I would consider it. Also, My 8800GT is still working fine, so could I keep it for physx or not bother if I get two cards? I'll be keeping my 8800GT so I could use it if necessary.....

I'm looking for good performance, I generally play ARMA2 and use the PC to stream Movies from my Freenas Server. Loudness isn't an issue really as I have many appliances running where the PC is, however would like to have good cooling and would consider changing stock coolers. (I had a fan issue with my 8800GT so changed it to a THERMALRIGHT HR-03 GT Which is great, runs very cool....I would even consider reusing it on another card if possible.

So happy for suggestions, Let me know what you think...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next 30 days

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Media Centre and Gaming (Arma2)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: (8800GT with a Thermaltake Toughpower 700W)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (Asus P6T SE MB with 6GB Corsair Dominator Triple channel DDR3)
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (Any UK Based companies, ie Novatek Ebuyer Amazon

PARTS PREFERENCES: (Crossfire a possibility as my MB is crossfire compatable)

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, or crossfire

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'm using a 32" HD TV, so I change resolutions for different gaming needs (I never know which res. is best anyway...)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Good cooling is probably the most important thing.

More about : gpu upgrade

March 17, 2012 1:20:28 PM

Sorry, forgot to add that my Budget will stretch to £200 I also would like to use Amazon as my work gives out Vouchers for incentives and I currently have £45 saved up so far....
March 18, 2012 2:13:03 PM

Well I thought I would get at least one reply.... Well I'm now tempted with running 2 HD6850's as an option, however Arma 3 is going to use physx so will that be the better option?
Related resources
March 18, 2012 4:29:43 PM

I myself use a ASUS 560 TI DCII card, and to be honest it is probably the best card in its range atm.

I also had a dilemma about 6850 CF or a single 560 Ti.
dual/multi-gpu setups have a lot of drawbacks; micro-stuttering, heat, drivers to name a few.

Instead, IMHO get a 560 Ti or a 6950 and then add another and SLI/CF when you feel the need.
March 21, 2012 6:18:12 AM

Thanks for the reply... I have decided on a GTX560ti. Im also going to try and reuse my 8800GT for physx. I'm hoping this will work. Some threads have said that the 8800GT isn't strong enough for a second physx card, any opinions?
!