Sign in with
Your question

Building a day trading computer

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2011 7:11:33 PM

Hello,anyone recommend an optimal computer configuration that I can put together to day trade? Will need to support 2-4 monitors. thanks
November 7, 2011 7:42:02 PM

Just build a regular system with high speed cable connection and use one or two vga cable splitters. Cable Club carries them for a dollar plus shipping (link doesn't work).
m
l
November 7, 2011 8:24:06 PM

It would be helpful to specify the number of monitors because Nvidia supports up to three monitors and AMD/Radion up to five. Are you building a computer and want suggestons on components ? Do you have a budget amount?
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 9:13:47 PM

You can use an AMD card with eyefinity to support 3 monitors though the 6800 and 6900 cards can do 4. A 5670 with a display port can do 3 monitors either by using one monitor with a display port or by using an active display port adapter.
m
l
November 7, 2011 10:30:37 PM

1) I see two choices for monitors. You can use 4 1080P monitors which will give you about 8 megapixels of display space.
Or, you can use two 2560 x 1600 30" monitors with about the same amount of display space. The 30" monitors will be about $1000 each, and the 1080P will be perhaps $150 each.

2) I see no need for quad core, just two fast cores should do the job. The i3-2130 3.4 @$150 would be good.

3) Ram is cheap, get lots. At least 8gb for <$50. with lots of apps open, get 16gb.

4) How much data do you need to keep online? If it will all fit, get a SSD. Perhaps in the 120-150gb range. Get a 1tb hard drive for backup and extra storage.
The SSD will make your pc feel very quick.

5) To drive the monitors, you will need a discrete graphics card. It need not be expensive since you will display relatively static info.
$50 should do it.
m
l
November 15, 2011 10:48:11 PM

inzone said:
It would be helpful to specify the number of monitors because Nvidia supports up to three monitors and AMD/Radion up to five. Are you building a computer and want suggestons on components ? Do you have a budget amount?

I think 4 monitors is what I want, probably only need DVD/CD writer, would like to have second hard drive as internal backup, need lots of speed for streaming quotes. Right now, some times my computer freezes right when the market opens - can't tell if it's the internet speed band width or what? THanks
m
l
May 19, 2012 7:45:07 AM

kc2dog said:
Hello,anyone recommend an optimal computer configuration that I can put together to day trade? Will need to support 2-4 monitors. thanks

This is a FREE guide on "How to buy a Trading computer and save money." It was written by a trader for traders.
Check it out! http://tradingcomputersnow.com/

This will help you a lot...
m
l
May 19, 2012 11:40:51 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
!