isn't the GPU too powerful for the CPU i'm using?

arijoy_4295

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Hello,
MB 1155 ASRock Z77 Pro4 (ATX)

CPU Intel Core i3-3220 BOX 3.3GHz 3MB Soc.1155
GPU PCI-E Sapphire HD7870 2GB
RAM DDR3 PC1600 8GB CL9 Corsair kit (2x4GB)

power supply 450W LC-Power LC6450 V2.2
Hard Disk 3,5 1000GB Seagate ST1000DM005
ASUS DRW-24B5ST Retail black
Case Miditower 430W Techsolo Oversea MO-04

for a total of 639€

do you think it's ok? isn't the GPU too powerful for the CPU i'm using?

There isn't really a GPU to powerful for a CPU. The fact is one of them will be a bottleneck in games. Having a bottleneck isn't an issue as there is always a bottleneck its just when that bottleneck keeps frame rates to low do you have an issue. It appears you want to build a well balanced system that doesn't waste money. Assuming your playing games I would step up to a core I5-2400 as a dual core CPU depending on the games could very well be a major bottleneck. With that said the i3-3220 will do fine on many games so if its not in your budget this is not a bad setup.

I think what he was trying to get at was a situation like having a GTX 680 with paired with a really low end CPU. In that case the GPU would be "to powerful" for the CPU. For the poster's case though you are compleatly fine the I3 despite being a dual core is pretty powerful CPU.

arijoy_4295

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

edit - i am really looking to play the upcoming simcity and the multiplayer component of bf3 . so can i3 handle bf3 at ultra or should i go for core i5 3450 and hd 7850 or the non ti version gtx 660 whenever it comes out ?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
The biggest problem in that build is your skimping badly on the power supply.

You're seriously going to try and run a 7850 on a $20 no name brand psu?

Get something like a Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, Ocz whatever instead of that $20 junk or you'll be sorry in the form of sparks and dead components.

fuzg13z

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I have the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 as well; it's loaded with features that are great for overclocking. The price difference between a 2400 and a 3570k isn't that large. If you're gonna take that step to i5 id go with a 3570k, it's a very powerful proc for the price you pay and it's unlocked so you can overclock it when its performance becomes inadequate someday. Right now the 3570k is on sale for $209.99 at ncix.com. :) Also, as lilotimz has said, the power supply is a very weak point in your build. They come on sale all the time for decent prices, get a 600w PSU to give yourself some space for upgrading and capacitor aging. And please buy a brand name PSU :p

BIL_ASC

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
amuffin is right, I think you should upgrade your PSU..
450W is not enough, it's just a matter of time your parts will damaged
get 750W or 800W.. so you don't have to upgrade in the future

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
450 Watt is perfectly fine for that build. That 450 Watt is awful though.

There is absolutely no point in getting a 750 or 800 watt power supply in this situation. If you plan on triple-crossfire or something in the future then go ahead.

28nm gpus and 22nm cpus don't use that much power. I would say under full load you're probably only using at most 300 watts with that build.

You do always want some head room so your PSU doesn't have to overwork itself so always make sure to buy a more powerful PSU than you theoretically need.

I recommend a high quality 400+ watt PSU with good amperage on the 12V rail(s). The brands mentioned above are great.

Besides that I'd keep your build the way it is. It is well balanced. I don't think you need an i5.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

What if he upgrades later on? Say in during the upcoming year? Price difference for a higher wattage PSU is a much lower cost than buying the 450W only to buy a higher wattage later down the road no?

I mean he's already entertaining the possibility of upgrading his CPU/Motherboard to an i5 in this thread alone. I always get a higher wattage PSU than I need because should I decide to add more components or higher end components I am covered.

Also a higher wattage PSU with a lower load on it will heat up less and last longer since it will only be using a tiny fraction of available power. This means that a higher Wattage PSU will follow along for a long time as you upgrade every other component of the PC.

I also recommend an 80+ Gold or higher rating.