logan832

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Well I now have ALL the parts for my PC here except for the RAM.
While I bought this RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
for a great deal ($38), I guess I chose supersaving shipping on accident. After calling DHL Global, they said I wouldn't get it until around Wednesday. I do not think I can wait that long.

So I am debating on searching for a local computer store (or go to Best Buy if there isn't one), and either

A) Purchase a cheap 4gb chip then swap it out for the 8gb ram chips that I will get on Wednesday (then use the 4gb as a backup?)

or

B) Purchase two 8gb chips of higher quality, and return the ones I get from Newegg for a refund. Problem with this, is I know I would be spending $20-40 more.

Ideally, I would choose option A. However I am curious as to how easy it is to swap RAM. Would I just have to turn the pc off, take out the 4gb ram, insert the two 8gb ram, then turn it back on? This is my first time building a custom PC, so I am hoping it would be that simple. Then hopefully if one of my ripjaw chips go bad, I could just replace it with my cheap 4gb chip.

If needed. My CPU: i5 3750k, MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4

sheepsnowadays

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Yes swapping ram is that easy. Only run the same kind of ram too, what i mean is if one of your ripjaws fails only replace it with another dimm the exact same or replace both. Do not mis match ram