At work and at home

My notebook(XP pro service pack2) is used at work and logs onto a win2000
server domain. I have a wireless network at home that provides adsl.
I need to be able to logon and see the same desktop ie emails, installed
programs at home as I do at work.

My notebook simply does not log on at home.(presumably ot is looking for the
domain name).

Any help appreciated.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

In short, there is no quick fix for this and it might turn out to be more
work than it is worth.
There are several issues to deal with here.
you should be able to logon at home with the same credentials (userid/pw)
that you use at work, unless there is a policy preventing that, ie. 'cached
credentials' are disabled. This setting could have been decided upon by your
system admin.
Once you are able to logon using cached credentials (ie the
'work'-userid/pw) you get the exact same desktop and apps you have at work,
because you are the same user. (AFA apps are concerned, they must be
installed on your machine and not on the network)
If you cannot logon, then you could try to logon with a local userid/pw if
that has been set up, but then you are a different user and thus you have a
different desktop and apps to begin with. Installing apps for that different
user could bring you close to what you have at work, but things like e-mail
are a different issue againl. (You're a different identity at home then at
work).
All this has not even begun dealing with the addressing issues you may have.
At work there might be a DHCP server handling your IP addressing and other
settings, at home you won't have that, so you'll need to resort to manually
taking care of addressing issues.

george