Storage Question for the Group

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 8, 2005 10:04:08 PM

I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I want to get another CF card (I have a
512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB micro drive.

Any pros or cons I need to know about?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

More about : storage question group

Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 10:04:09 PM

"Jeff" <noneyabidnes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I want to get another CF card (I have
>a 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB micro drive.
>
> Any pros or cons I need to know about?
>
> Thanks in advance.

There is increasingly less reason to go with microdrives...since flash
memory cards are so cheap.
That said, I've used microdrives since 2000, and am using my original 1GB
cards without a single, solitary error...ever.
This includes shooting above 10,000 numerous times, and several drops.

You might be better off spending your money on some 1GB cards right now, and
using a portable storage device, such as the one I posted about a day or two
ago (Epson P-200), or other less expensive devices that similarly let you
copy your cards to them in the field.

Basic pros/cons:

Mircrodrives are MUCH more fragile than their flash memory counterparts.
There seem to be more reports of problems since their original release via
IBM (see above about my very stable 1GB drives--three of them).

Microdrives do consume a bit more power, but not significantly more in my
experience.
My 10D has seemed unphased by the difference in power consumption.

If you buy a SanDisk card, or any card from Costco, they will replace them
if they fail...forever.
Not so with Microdrives.

-Mark
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 10:09:09 PM

> I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I want to get another CF card (I have
> 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB micro drive.
>
> Any pros or cons I need to know about?

The transfer rate is slower, as I recall.

steve
a b G Storage
July 8, 2005 11:45:40 PM

Jeff,
Congrats on your new camera, how do you
plan to store your photos?

I use 512mg CF cards (no moving parts),
the reason I use this size is when the
card is full (I pop in another one), I
can copy the entire card to CD in 3
minutes. I then can pop the CD into my
DVD players or computers and view or
show and print, plus the camera software
recognizes it.

I have even had a card with my P&S fall
into a lake and the pictures and camera
survived (after removing batts and
leaving next to a dehumidifier for 2
days). I dont think this would have
worked with a micro drive.

Have fun!

"Jeff" <noneyabidnes@hotmail.com> wrote
in message
> I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I
want to get another CF card (I have a
> 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB
micro drive.

> Any pros or cons I need to know about?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff

July 8, 2005 11:45:41 PM

"John_B" <webmaster@firstchurchofthestreets.com> wrote in message
> Jeff,
> Congrats on your new camera, how do you
> plan to store your photos?
>
> I use 512mg CF cards (no moving parts),
> the reason I use this size is when the
> card is full (I pop in another one), I
> can copy the entire card to CD in 3
> minutes. I then can pop the CD into my
> DVD players or computers and view or
> show and print, plus the camera software
> recognizes it.
>
> I have even had a card with my P&S fall
> into a lake and the pictures and camera
> survived (after removing batts and
> leaving next to a dehumidifier for 2
> days). I dont think this would have
> worked with a micro drive.
>
> Have fun!
>
> "Jeff" <noneyabidnes@hotmail.com> wrote
> in message
> ..
>> I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I
> want to get another CF card (I have a
>> 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB
> micro drive.
>>
>> Any pros or cons I need to know about?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jeff

Good points all, I am leaning towards a 1 gig CF card, combined with the 512
MB I got with the camera it should be adequate for my use.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2005 4:50:40 AM

Jeff wrote:
>I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I want to get another CF card (I
> have a 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB micro drive.
>
> Any pros or cons I need to know about?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff

One point to consider is that having several smaller cards allows you to
send someone off to download one while you continue working with the others
and it allows you to still have some photos if on a long session or trip one
card dies. Of course using several cards would increase the chance that one
will die. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 9, 2005 7:30:38 AM

Jeff wrote:
> I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I want to get another CF card (I have a
> 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB micro drive.
>
> Any pros or cons I need to know about?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff

The microdrives are a bit more delicate than CF cards. Step on one, and
it's history. I would suggest sticking with the larger CF cards and
getting several 1GB ones as that is about enough to put on one card.
The microdrives do use a bit more battery power as well.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
July 9, 2005 12:36:54 PM

news:o WLze.35670$B_3.7595@fe05.lga...
> Jeff wrote:
>> I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I want to get another CF card (I
>> have a 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB micro drive.
>>
>> Any pros or cons I need to know about?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jeff
> The microdrives are a bit more delicate than CF cards. Step on one, and
> it's history. I would suggest sticking with the larger CF cards and
> getting several 1GB ones as that is about enough to put on one card. The
> microdrives do use a bit more battery power as well.

I want to thank the group for the sound counsel, I am going to buy several
512 MB CF cards.

I like that size as if I lose one (or corrupt one it is a smaller loss.)

Thanks again.

Jeff
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 10, 2005 8:21:33 AM

Jeff <noneyabidnes@hotmail.com> wrote:

: I want to thank the group for the sound counsel, I am going to buy several
: 512 MB CF cards.

: I like that size as if I lose one (or corrupt one it is a smaller loss.)

: Thanks again.

And when you get home and save the card to a CD for safety, this card will
comfortably fit on a CD. I even went so far as to pair a 512 with a 128.
The 128 won't hold all that many photos, but each pair will fit a CD very
nicely. I have several pairs and a portable CD burner with integrated card
slots so I can take almost unlimited photos on my vacations, as long as I
bring enough blank CDs and have access to power to charge the batteries in
camera and burner every once in a while. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
July 10, 2005 12:40:33 PM

"Randy Berbaum" <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote in message
news:D aq7od$r1o$2@wildfire.prairienet.org...
> Jeff <noneyabidnes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> : I want to thank the group for the sound counsel, I am going to buy
> several
> : 512 MB CF cards.
>
> : I like that size as if I lose one (or corrupt one it is a smaller loss.)
>
> : Thanks again.
>
> And when you get home and save the card to a CD for safety, this card will
> comfortably fit on a CD. I even went so far as to pair a 512 with a 128.
> The 128 won't hold all that many photos, but each pair will fit a CD very
> nicely. I have several pairs and a portable CD burner with integrated card
> slots so I can take almost unlimited photos on my vacations, as long as I
> bring enough blank CDs and have access to power to charge the batteries in
> camera and burner every once in a while. :)
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL

Very good point and technique, one I may well chose to emulate.

Thanks

Jeff
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 10, 2005 6:34:26 PM

>> And when you get home and save the card to a CD for safety, this card will
>> comfortably fit on a CD. I even went so far as to pair a 512 with a 128.
>> The 128 won't hold all that many photos, but each pair will fit a CD very
>> nicely. I have several pairs and a portable CD burner with integrated card
>> slots so I can take almost unlimited photos on my vacations, as long as I

Randy,

Sounds good. Brand and model of your portable burner?

Kodak
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 11, 2005 8:05:14 AM

Father Kodak <dont_bother@idontcare.com> wrote:

: >>
: >> And when you get home and save the card to a CD for safety, this
: >> card will comfortably fit on a CD. I even went so far as to pair a
: >> 512 with a 128. The 128 won't hold all that many photos, but each
: >> pair will fit a CD very nicely. I have several pairs and a portable
: >> CD burner with integrated card slots so I can take almost unlimited
: >> photos on my vacations, as long as I

: Randy,

: Sounds good. Brand and model of your portable burner?

: Kodak

Apacer is the brand. The model is Disc Steno CP100, but if I had it to do
over again I would spend the extra to move up to the CP200 or better. The
reason is becaue the model I have will not play back the stored images.
But the 200 allows you to connect to a TV to view the stored images
(allowing you to either check or show off the photos).

BTW, I like that this unit also allows me to connect to my computer with a
USB which allows me to use it as an external CD burner AND multi card
reader on my computer when I am at home.

There are probably other devices that do the same or even better, but this
is the one that I personally have experience with. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 1, 2005 6:44:16 AM

In article <ZqadnUKiNZ76m1LfRVn-hA@comcast.com>,
"Jeff" <noneyabidnes@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought a dSLR and am in love, I want to get another CF card (I have a
> 512M) and am considering a 2 or 4 GB micro drive.
>
> Any pros or cons I need to know about?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I have had bad experience with micro drives. I have a 1 GB Lexor CF card
and a 2 GB Kingston CF card. They both work great.
!