Clean way to power case fans?

John1988

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I'm building a new computer right now, and need opinions/advice. I want to have a very clean look inside the case. I have a Antec Three Hundred Two case with two 120mm fans in the front, 120m in the back, 140mm on top, and soon to be another 120mm on the side behind the mobo. All fans use 3 pin connectors and have their own speed control switches. I have a ASRock Z77 Extreme mobo. I don't want to have all these fan power cables making my computer look messy inside.

I was thinking of using 3 to 2x 3 pin Y splitter cables like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-2-x-3-Pin-Black-Sleeved-Y-Splitter-Computer-Case-Fan-Power-Adapter-Cable-/160802507274?pt=US_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item2570938a0a

Is it safe to use these? I've read mixed opinions on using these, may not be good for your motherboard, and can possibly damage it?

or

Something like this, and hiding it in the case somewhere. Only downside is, the fans will run at max speed/power 24/7? Because the mobo can't control it. Will the fan speed switches on each individual fan still work with this?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812195004

What do you guys think my best option is? If you know another way to conceal these cables, please let me know!

Also, does anyone have any links for tips and tricks on cable management?

Thanks!

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
You can use splitters with no issue as long as the total power draw for each fan header does not exceeded the header's max rating. (add up all the fans' ratings that you connect to a given header)

So it's a matter of finding the ratings on the fans and the headers and comparing them.

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
the cable for the 200mm fan at the top of my case runs behind the mobo tray and down to the header at the front of the motherboard,the front fan cable i tuck behind the hard drive cage,looks quite neat,and the rear 120mm fan,i fold the cable to shorten it and use a small cable tie so it is quite short and then connect it to the header at the top rear of the motherboard,it is a cm storm enforcer case,i hope that makes sense,and helps you