Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade X4 965 to FX8150 and move 965 into current X3 455 system?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 5:45:37 PM

Hey all- I just wanted to see if anyone thought this was a justifiable option to kill two birds with one stone. I am considering picking up an FX8150 to replace the X4 965 I have OC'ed to a stable 4.0 (4.2 when I feel like pushing it) and then use the Phenom to take the place of my Athlon X3 455 running a second rig. The fact I can only OC the Athlon via FSB frequency increases has been a pain- it would be nice to have an unlocked multiplier for increased flexibility in finding a stable default OC config. The First system is more of a performance rig with a HD6870, Intel 520 SSD and 16gb of memory to work with. The second is just setup in the bedroom corner for minor tasks and light browsing- has a HD 6670, Intel 330 SSD and 8gb of memory. Also worth noting the First rig has a solid SeaSonic M12 PSU whereas the second has an iffy (but so far dependable) Cooler Master Extreme 500w PSU.

Not a real gamer, which I know would kill the 8150 as a smart idea immediately. More use of a lot of simultaneously running programs of lesser individual strain.
a c 790 à CPUs
September 7, 2012 7:19:54 PM

If it is not for gaming it is not an absurd idea but currently I would wait for the newer piledriver versions (scheduled for release 3rd quarter) of the FX CPU's before doing the upgrade.
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2012 7:51:05 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:
Not a real gamer, which I know would kill the 8150 as a smart idea immediately. More use of a lot of simultaneously running programs of lesser individual strain.

If you wanted to game most of the time, I'd get another 965 for the Athlon system. Since it's more bang for less bucks.

I kinda doubt that you multitask enough that a quad core doesn't suffice, but let's just say that a 8150 is okay'ish for what you want to do with it.

Besides, I second waiting for Piledriver. :) 
!