Question on directx 11

VOD0708

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hello,

I'm searching for a graphic card and I was wondering if I really need a VGA with direct 11 support? I don't know if I need that for the internet. I mostly use my computer for web browsing and watch movie or listen to the music. I also like to convert video to an another format. I know windows 7 can support direct 11 but I don't think it will make anything better. I'm not playing any game (maybe on internet). I just want to connect my TV to the computer without pulling out my monitor. This is the graphic card I'm gonna buy.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127657

I know it's a Refurbished one with 30 days warranty but I just want a cheap one :D .

I could buy a splitter device but I want to simplify with HDMI cable.

p.s. sorry for my poor english

Solution
The HD 5450 uses very little power. Around 28w if I remember correctly under full load (i.e. playing games). A decent quality 250w PSU is all that is necessary to use the card. Unless you have a power hungry CPU that you are overclocking and a large number of hard drives and optical drives installed in your PC.

A DX9 card is all that is really necessary for what you want to do, but I rather spend an extra $5 to get a new product with limited lifetime warranty over an older re-certified card with only 30 days warranty.

Ultimately, it is your choice.

VOD0708

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

yeah I could spend a little more if I can see a difference on performance. Like I said, I don't play game at all except on internet so do I really need a newer technology? Also my power supply is 350 or 400 Watt. I don't want to change that too.

VOD0708

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

interesting choice cause cause the mail rebate and also a minimun of 400 watt from their main site

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Graphics-Cards/AMD/ATI-Radeon-HD-5000-Series/ATI-Radeon-HD-5450.aspx

I also don't have to worry about the directx 11.

By the way,I never use a video card without a fan. Do I need to add a fan or I can use out of the box? It won't overheat? Do I need many fan in my case ? Of course i won't overclock since it's won't a gamer PC.

The HD 5450 uses very little power. Around 28w if I remember correctly under full load (i.e. playing games). A decent quality 250w PSU is all that is necessary to use the card. Unless you have a power hungry CPU that you are overclocking and a large number of hard drives and optical drives installed in your PC.

A DX9 card is all that is really necessary for what you want to do, but I rather spend an extra $5 to get a new product with limited lifetime warranty over an older re-certified card with only 30 days warranty.

Ultimately, it is your choice.

Solution

VOD0708

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Nice find Ivan. The review kinda scare me a little but it's the best for the price at the moment.

I also find this card. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150581

it's a 6450 for 39$ and a 20$ mail rebate which end up 30$ + shipping.

I'm not certain if the 6450 is better than 5450. I'm gonna do some research but if anyone know the answer. It would be nice to know.

It depend on Ivan card or the 6450 now unless there another one :p

caqde

Distinguished
Newer generation cards are more likely to use less power during idle times (Considered as basic screen refreshing when you are moving around your mouse and nothing on the screen is really changing and sometimes even scrolling a webpage would be considered idle) and give performance and quality improvements to video decoding and such. When it comes to web browsing and overall desktop experience you will want a low end card that supports the newest technologies. As today OS's like Win7, Mac OSX, and Linux use the GPU to render the desktop and web browsers also take advantage of the graphics card to render your webpages and videos from sites like Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube.