Sign in with
Your question

I need help choosing a PSU and Graphics Card!

Last response: in Systems
May 19, 2012 3:53:03 PM

Hey guys so I need some advice on a PSU and Graphics Card, I have two PSU's in mind along with two Graphic Cards.

First things first, my PSU. I have a stock PSU that came along with my DiabloTek Case but I don't trust it and would like to replace it. My first PSU is a Cooler Master GX 450W, and the second is a Corsair 650TXV2. I can get an extra 200w for around the same price but I also don't know if I need more than 450w and if it is worth it to get the extra 200. Here is my Computer Specs so you guys can look through them and let me know how many watts I will be using and if I can run my graphics card with a 450w power supply. If you guys have any different suggestions for a PSU costing around $60 I would appreciate it!

Here is my Monitor and my Computer Specs:

Monitor: Acer S211HL bd 22" Class LED Monitor - 12M:1 Contrast Ratio, 5MS response time, 1080P, 1920x1080

Tower Case: Diablo Tek Elite ATX Mid Tower (Comes with a 450W PSU but I am switching it out to meet the requirements on my Graphics Card)

Power Supply: OCZ ZT550W - 550W, 140mm Fan, Active PFC, 80 Plus Bronze, +12v 1 = 45 A

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1045T - Six Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 3MB L2 Cache, 2.70GHz, Socket AM3, 95W, Fan, Retail

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6850

MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P

RAM: ADATA 4GB x2 DDR3 (8GB Total)

Hardrive: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Disc Drive: Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer

Here are the two choices on PSU's:

Corsair 650TXV2: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] u=C13-2800

Cooler Master GX 450W: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...] No=1102739

Next is my Graphics Card, I have been looking around and found two of which I think are at the top of the market. The ATI Radeon HD 6850 and 7770, usually the higher the number the better it is but I have found that the 6850 beats out the 7770 in the performance section but the 7770 cuts the amount of watts used in half. I am spending $150 tops on my Graphics Card so if you have any better choices let me know. Check into both Graphics Cards and let me know which one is going to be better for my setup :) 

Here are the two choices on Graphics Cards:

ATI Radeon HD 6850: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

ATI Radeon HD 7770: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Let me know your choices on the PSU and Graphics Card, I really need help deciding. Thank you guys!

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 4:01:44 PM

First of all wattage means nothing. A cheap 1000w psu may only put out 600w, while a Quality 1000w psu may put out 1100w. It's all about the amps on the +12v rail.

No not usually the higher the number, the faster the card, for instance my old 5850 is faster than a 6850, but it uses more power.

Usually the higher the model number the more efficient.

The 6850 is definitely better than 7770. Also the Corsair 650 is better than CM GX450, but you don't need that much wattage. A good 500w is plenty.

Your links don't work so you need to give us an idea of what your budget range is for psu and I'll see what I can find.
May 19, 2012 5:50:22 PM

geekapproved said:
First of all wattage means nothing. A cheap 1000w psu may only put out 600w, while a Quality 1000w psu may put out 1100w. It's all about the amps on the +12v rail.

No not usually the higher the number, the faster the card, for instance my old 5850 is faster than a 6850, but it uses more power.

Usually the higher the model number the more efficient.

The 6850 is definitely better than 7770. Also the Corsair 650 is better than CM GX450, but you don't need that much wattage. A good 500w is plenty.

Your links don't work so you need to give us an idea of what your budget range is for psu and I'll see what I can find.

Will the 6850 still be better if I am going to be having my computer on for long duration's of time due to long gaming sessions this summer?!

Also my budget for a PSU is up to $60 this is not factoring in Mail in Rebate, so say you find me a good PSU but it's $80 as long as the Mail in Rebate brings it down to $60 I can handle that. How many Watts do you think my Computer Spec is going to be using? Basically what is a good amount of Wattage on a PSU for my Specs?
Related resources
May 19, 2012 6:01:12 PM

You're right faster is faster, but someone also stated in one of my other forum topics that because the 7770 cuts the amount of Watts being used in half it would be better to use than the 6850 for long gaming sessions. These are going to be lasting for more than 12 hours at a time.

And yes you did answer that question previously I spaced out and forgot, thank you! :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
May 20, 2012 2:03:52 PM

Well if your pinching pennies on your electric bill, then of course a more efficient video card would accomplish that.......but it's slower....

I mean its less expensive to drive from New York to Las Angeles in a Prius compared to a Dodge Viper..........but your not going to win any races.

You should have mentioned in your first post that your goal was to save 50 cents a month on your electric bill.
!