Battlefield 3 lag

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,

I used to play Battlefield 3 on medium to high settings with 40 to 60 fps.
Than I lowered the settings for more fps, wich gave me around 50 to 60 fps.
Than the next day as I started playing Battlefield 3 I had low amount of fps.
So I lowered every setting to low except for the textures that are on high and my resolution that is on 1440x900.
But it even got worst, I am having ''lag spikes'' around every 7 seconds :cry: .
When I start a game it plays smooth for around the first 20 seconds, and than it becomes unplayable because of the lag.
I think that my system specification should be able to give me around 45 to 65 fps at every setting on low and off except for the textures that are on high and my resolution that is on 1440x900.
Here are my system specifications:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06GHz temperatures at full load: Core 1= around 54c and core 2= around 48c.
GPU: GTX 550 Ti temperatures at full load are around 75c.
RAM: 4GB.
PSU 460 Watt.

I have updated all drivers according to a program, and my case is dust free.
As you see, I am out of options :(
I hope that this gets fixed because Battlefield 3 looks awesome, and the game used to be playable at medium to high settings, and my system should be able to run it, especially with those low settings.

Thank you

DM186

Splendid
What is your PSU's brand and model? Were your drivers updated before you had this problem or after? When your are playing do you run your temps at the same time?

I know I have to watch my temps in any game I do. Because my 550's get real hot real fast. I wish I hadn't got them. But I did so now I am stuck. My first games on these cards got to 85c.

That is way to hot in my book. Even if they are rated to 99c anything over 80c is a no no. Please get back to us.

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Well I can not find the brand of the PSU, but here is how it looks like: http://computer-software.marktplaats.nl/kabels-en-voeding/538060495-p-case-460w-koeling.html
What I also see is that the performance of some games are even worse than that they were on my GT240.
I was with my GT240 with older games like L4D2, but now L4D2 is having lag on the pc.
I think that the pc should be a ''gaming rig'' for those old games.
There is somethig wrong but I do not understand what.
Tell me if there is anything strange or wrong with my PSU.

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Excuse me for the grammar I meant that games like L4D2 and Black Ops were runing fine with high settings on the GT240.
It were the newer games that made buy the GTX 550 Ti.
But this pc is like a ''gaming rig'' for those games, and still there are problems.

DM186

Splendid
Well I think your PSU is a generic German one. It is pushing 300w on the 12v rail and that is more than enough for your GPU. Unless your PSU is on its way out. The only way to check it is with a volt meter.

Or if you have another PSU to swap it out with and see if the same problem is still occuring. This way we can rule out the PSU. How are you checking your Temps? With what program are you using?

Another problem your CPU might not be able to keep up with your GPU the 550ti. You have a core duo. Your CPU and GPU are on the line. It is just a guess but most likely not. Please repost

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I am using MSI Afterburner to see my temperatures.
And no, I do not have another PSU :( .
And I also think that the Core 2 Duo and the GTX 550 Ti are well balanced.

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Agree with DM186...

The processor and graphics card are fine together so that can be ruled out.

The computer was working fine together up until recently and nothing had changed. Sounds like your PSU has decided to retire early.

I recommend picking up the equivalent Corsair or similar to avoid future problems like this. A Corsair will last you for years.

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Okay than, I also think that that is the problem.

Thanks for your advice guys.

DM186

Splendid
After rereading everything and the CPU and the GPU like I said they work fine to gether and on some rigs they have issues. On yours they go hand in hand.

I would buy a new PSU even if it turns out not to be the PSU but we all think it is. The brands that you should look at are Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, and XFX. There are a lot more brands that are good.

Here are a few PSU's that are good. And I hope this is the fix to the problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=q4f7gow2jyhr

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207018&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=lnhepq4bf23w

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Thank you for the links and your support :)
I am going to get a new PSU in this case, but before this is closed I have on question, on my previous ''threads'' you told me that you managed to get you GTX550 Ti under 70c.
Tell me please how did you do that? :eek:

DM186

Splendid
Well it is like this the higher the fps are the higher the temps are. So I down clock my cards a little put all setting at med when playing. My fps dropped to 45 to 50.

That lowered my temps to 67c in Shogun 2 in battle screen. on campain map it would drop to 25 fps and the temps would go into the 50c's. Also that helps is the air flow I hve in my rig.

I have 7 case fans. I have 3 200mm intake fans I have 1 200mm exhaust and 3 120mm exhaust fans. So with the air flow and dialing my cards back a little has inproved my temps.

Before I turned the settings down on my cards and with the fans were in the high 70c's and the low 80c's. Everytime my temps got over 80c I would get lag like crazy. I hope this helps.

If your are playing game that demand a lot of GPU. Turning down your card might affect your game. I play all type of strategy type games. I can't play first shooter type game with out getting sick. Good luck to you.

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Okay, thanks

DM186

Splendid
Yes but watch it close and if it starts to do funny things like laging or short freezes like 3 seconds of longer. Then get out of the game. But if everything is normal and you don't go over 80c then play to when ever.

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Okay