Budget Gaming PC, Diablo 3, $400-$600

G

Hi, I'm new here. My name is John. First, a little background. My current desktop at the moment is a pre-built Dell Inspiron 518. My research has led me to believe that upgrading is not an option. I have not been a big PC gamer in the past, but one of my buddies has sparked my interest in Diablo 3. Building a PC has always been a goal of mine, since I was younger. I just never really had the resources or a real reason to do it. This is where Diablo 3 comes in. Although, I can run Diablo 3 on my pre-built Dell it is at horrible quality. So, I have decided it's finally time to build a PC.

For the past few days I have been spending countless hours researching articles, forums, etc. I have learned a whole lot, but I still have an overwhelming feeling when trying to put together a parts list. My brain has become so strict on trying to achieve the best performance for the lowest dollar amount. Since I'm not knowledgable enough to know about every single piece of hardware out on the market and how it performs, this creates a problem.

I finally sat down this morning, and decided to just put something together. I got serious on a budget, and really thought through what I absolutely needed. I used this Tom's Hardware article to decide on which CPU and GPU I wanted to buy. I found that once I decided on those two components it made choosing the others a little easier.

Before I dive into the parts list, here are a few details on my build:

Budget
$400-$600 ($700 if absolutely necessary)

Use
Almost 100% for gaming, more than likely just Diablo 3.

Not Needed
Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard, OS

Preferred Website
Newegg

Country
US

Parts References
Not particular to any brands.

Overclocking
Not at this time.

SLI or Crossfire
Not at this time.

Monitor Resolution
Dell 21.5", 1080p, 1920x1080

Additional Comments
For my build I just want something reliable, I don't want to have to spend more time troubleshooting than actually playing games. I'm not really concerned about future proofing, since probably the only game I'll play for quite a few months (possibly years) is Diablo 3. However, if there is a component that's within a reasonable price range that will provide a better base for my system then I'm perfectly fine with that.

Now on to my parts list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.64 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $484.55
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-19 12:53 EDT-0400)

Like I mentioned above I'm planning on buying all of my parts from Newegg. One difference that isn't shown abve in the PCPartPicker list is a combo deal on the CPU and HDD that saved me about $15. The total amount in my Newegg shopping cart comes to $534.51.

A question I have:

1. There is this combo deal on Newegg, which combines the above optical drive with a COOLER MASTER GX PSU (450W) that will save me about $50. From comparing the two PSUs they appear to be about identical, except the SILVERSTONE above is modular. Since I have a large case with plenty of fans, I'm not sure how much of a difference a modular PSU will make. Suggestions?

I'm open to any suggestions, and encourage them. I want to get the best build for my buck. I do want to say thank you ahead of time for anyone that provides feedback. I have found it hard to get that over at the Reddit Build a PC. If you need to know anymore details please just let me know. Thank you.

7Ghost

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hello John, I created a build for you to look at. I recommend an i3 processor and an ATX with 2 PCI express x16/x8 slots. Unless you never plan on crossfire/SLI, we could change the motherboard to something a bit cheaper. Are you also willing to buy parts off Amazon? You may get free shipping and no tax (depending on the state where you live)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8v5b

I'm unsure about the HDD choice and the newegg combo deal, hopefully someone else can give their opinion on that.
But, the build I gave you I feel will be very solid for Diablo 3 and should not provide any issues.

G

I like that build, and points you raise are good ones. To be honest, I don't see myself ever doing crossfire/SLI. However, if the price difference between a motherboard that supports it and one that doesn't is minimal then I'm fine with having it as an option down the road.

I don't mind buying parts elseware, as long as it saves me money. I do get free shipping and no tax from Amazon.

z_4

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Here's a build .Take a look . If this goes overbudget or you have more to spend look at the suggestion below:

Case: $40- NZXT Gamma Classic

GPU: $170- Sapphire Radeon 6870

HDD & PSU: $103- CM GX 450 & WD Cavier Blue 500GB

Motherboard & RAM: $94- Gigabyte H61 & Corsair Vengeance (2X 4GB)

CPU & Optical Drive: $197- i5-2400 & Asus DRW

Total( Excluding Rebates): $604

Reabtes: $20

If this goes overbudget, then :
1.drop the GPU to Sapphire Radeon 6950 worth $150
2. Drop the RAM to 4GB. Search for similar combos.
3. Drop to i3 2105 worth $125.

If you have spare amount left then :
Upgrade the GPU to MSI GTX 560Ti worth $220.
or
Get an SSD like Crucial M4 64GB.