"Manufacturers Prefer Turion X2 Over Yonah"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
In mobile, we are beginning to see what was once unthinkable. Manufacturers are switching to AMD Turion instead of Core (Yonah). Why? It seems to be a combination of factors. Yonah is not 64-bit capable, and will have a short market lifespan. Merom, which is 64-bit capable is going to require a new chipset. So OEMs and ODMs are introducing a few Yonah models, and filing out the line with Turion, Athlon64-M, and mobile Sempron models for now. Will Merom end this window? Probably not. Merom will be close in timing to K8L mobile chips, so that is probably a wash, but Merom will start at the top and migrate downward. It may be two years or more before Intel has a low-end 64-bit laptop chip. So my read is AMD will get a lot of the low-end laptop business, and Intel will hold the (large) business and high-end segments.

Just what I've said in the Acer Ferrari thread. :wink:

http://www.fool.com

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Thats pretty bottom of the barrel stuff there 9nm, some good FUD too.

Merom, which is 64-bit capable is going to require a new chipset.

Wrong! It works in existing chipsets.

Will Merom end this window? Probably not. Merom will be close in timing to K8L mobile chips

I didn't know K8L was due out in August.

Flawless victory, fatality.

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I see you've changed your avatar from the Turdion X2. Perhaps you should change it back since you believe the BS you post. :roll:

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
In mobile, we are beginning to see what was once unthinkable. Manufacturers are switching to AMD Turion instead of Core (Yonah). Why? It seems to be a combination of factors. Yonah is not 64-bit capable, and will have a short market lifespan. Merom, which is 64-bit capable is going to require a new chipset. So OEMs and ODMs are introducing a few Yonah models, and filing out the line with Turion, Athlon64-M, and mobile Sempron models for now. Will Merom end this window? Probably not. Merom will be close in timing to K8L mobile chips, so that is probably a wash, but Merom will start at the top and migrate downward. It may be two years or more before Intel has a low-end 64-bit laptop chip. So my read is AMD will get a lot of the low-end laptop business, and Intel will hold the (large) business and high-end segments.

sounds good..
oh wait.. the customers prefer centrino duos, since centrino "annihilate" turion x2 with ease. plus, the majority of users don't upgrade their O/S upon the immediate releasing of Vista.
let's see.. Vista is next year, and 32 bit compatible. (i saw some of the laptops with Vista OS in Computex on Centrino Duos.) i guess there ain't much incentives for customers to go turion...

EDIT: you know.. they name the website www.fool.com for a reason...

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
obviously this guy wont giv up till everyone is on the bandwagon with amd, even if intel has some godly processor that pumps out 50% better performance....as long as everyone supports AMD

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Really? Watching the making of dvd it seemed that no-one had any confidence in it, then again that could have been to dramatise it and make it more interesting. Interesting though.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
It is one of those things where all the elements just so happened to fall together in just the right way --- moments like that do not happen very often.

Ya, the making of documentry was very interesting.

It will take another 30 or 40 years to trip over something like that again.

The way things are going it'll probably be longer.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

Looks like once again, your the fool here 9-inch. The funny thing is, I work for a major ISP. Every single one of our network engineers use a 32 bit mobile platform. As i've said before, there just isn't any real justification for using 64 bit in a mobile environment. Sure, there are some reasons to use it but when you have microsoft using 32 bit and until they put out there 64 bit platform, the OEMs will continue to use 32 bit. Sure microsoft has a 64 bit version out but it's junk and hardly anyone uses it.

You guys need to give it up with the whole 64 bit thing in the mobile world. Laptops basically outsell desktops by quite a margin and guess who buys most of those units? The average consumer. You think they care about whether or not a machine can run 64 bit or not? pfft

Oh and one more thing, since Intels platform outperforms turion x2, it's really not gonna matter how Intel performs in the 64 bit arena since nobody uses 64 bit in the mobile market anyway.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I'm not a big fan of LOTR. It was pretty well done but lacks all the good things that say star wars has.

I think Gandalf should have just teleported the ring into mount doom.... I mean what wizard wouldnt pick the teleport spell ??? Errrrrr *hides his Dungeons and Dragons stuff*

I concur lol

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Mainly untrue. Manufacturers choose it because it's dirt cheap.

I would tend to agree with that except I would replace manufacturers with people. When mom or grandma or billy joe from the trailer park hear about this "Intarnet" thing they run up to Best Buy or Walmart and buy the cheapest thing they can buy and that is either turion or celeron... and those people make up like 80% of the buyers... they even buy new PC's when they slow down too much from spyware :( So the facts are they buy those the most becouse they are cheap and thats what people are buying.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
It's not pricing so much as it is performance. When the average customer buys a Centrino system, they KNOW they're getting a wireless-enabled, high-performance, lengthy battery life device.

The Turion is just a processor, not a platform. This is to say that the customer doesn't know what they're getting themselves into, not to mention the Intel name is fully implanted in the customer's mind.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I should point out, I don't think he does this intentionally, I think be believes 100% everything he posts is the golden truth -- but some stuff are just straight up fabrications (like this thread), he is unwittingly spreading deceit, false information, and basic FUD -- it's not his fault, he simply does not understand he himself is being deceived.
Jack

Sadly, I dont think he understands that he also does more to degrade AMDs reputation than AMD itself or Intels team of spin-marketeers

Dead Alive (aka Braindead) was one of my favorites of the cult/b-movie zombie genre.
Jack

Ah, then surely you liked Army Of Darkness (Raimi/Tappert/Campbell), or perhaps even Re-Animator

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Here are some other things you should have quoted from the Motley Fool:

people sometimes post messages in our folders or make statements in our chat rooms that are misleading, deceptive, or downright wrong.

The fundamental concept is that you should NOT rely upon the information or opinions you read. Rather, you should use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on companies and investing techniques. Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum.

The Motley Fool does not guarantee the veracity, reliability or completeness of any information provided in our forum or in any hyperlink appearing on our site.

If you ignore our advice to do independent research of industries, companies, and stocks, choosing instead to trade solely on information, "tips," or opinions found in our forum, you have made a conscious, willing, free, and personal decision to do so. You have also probably made a mistake.

The Motley Fool DISCLAIMER

TRENDING THREADS