Approx. $1000 gaming computer

Approximate Purchase Date: tomorrow-ish

Budget Range: $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, movies, everything else

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg preferred but anywhere can work

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: intel CPU and AMD graphics card

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Nah

Additional Comments: quiet is nice


This is what I'm looking at:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820231314
$46.99

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827106276
$18.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817139021
$109.99

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811119233
$59.99

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822148697
$99.99

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16819116504
$239.99

Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-01-20G
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-11200-01-20G/dp/B007JCNOZA
$269.99

ASUS P8Z77-M Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131832
$134.99
19 answers Last reply
More about approx 1000 gaming computer
  1. A 750 watt power supply is way overkill unless you are planning to run 2 of those cards...heck its even overkill for 2 of them. If you want to save a few bucks drop it down to a 500-600 watt unit (a decent 450 watt psu would be enough). Looks like a good solid build though
  2. It looks fine, but you are spending too much on the PSU. If you don't SLI/CF, get a 500-600 watt PSU.

    Ivy Bridge is considerably hotter than SB when overclocking. You don't need HD Graphics anyway with the 7850, so get an i5-2500K and a Z68 MB and save up to $40-50.

    PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060
    CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    MB:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131781

    With the money you save, if you can, get an SSD, get it. A high-end build isn't high-end without an SSD. Try this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441
  3. Here's the same build with combos and also includes a 128 GB SSD within the budget :

    Case: $60 -NZXT Apollo (Any other, if you don't like it)

    GPU: $240- XFX 7850(hurry before stocks runs out)

    SSD: $130- Crucial M4 128GB

    HDD & Optical Drive: $105- WD Cavier Blue 1TB & Asus

    Motherboard & PSU: 195- Asrock Z77 Pro4 & Corsair TX650

    CPU & RAM: $280- i5 3570K & Corsair Vengeance 8GB

    Total(Excluding Rebates): 1010 USD

    Rebates: $20
  4. Thanks for the suggestions! I do intend to get a SSD. I forgot to mention that. I just didn't have one in mind at the time.
  5. Is there any significant difference between the XFX and Sapphire for the 7850? Is the XFX quiet?
  6. Vengeance RAM is pretty big if you want to get an aftermarket CPU cooler which i do recommend for IB

    change PSU into Seasonic 620 modular/nonmodular which ever you like
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

    MOBO/CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.947878
  7. What would be a good CPU cooler?
  8. Hyper 212 EVO.
  9. you can also try low profile ram, there's plenty good options, vengeance models included. in case you worry about cooler interference.

    that XFX is on sale. Saphire may be slightly better cause of the factory OC. But it is neglible.
  10. save $100 and just get a 6870 they got a nice xfx card for $160 the dual fan is $189. i would go with a corsair h60 or h80 liquid cooler they attach to 120mm fans if your case has them. or a zalman http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046 here is my computers specs
    gaming htpc llano A-8 3870K processor, 500gb seagate momentus hybrid drive, 8gb g.skill sniper ram, sony blu ray player, crossfired 6670, bluetooth, wifi, mini keyboard/mouse combo, 450 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TN5PZ6

    gaming computer fx 6100 6 core processor,nzxt tempest 410 gaming case, 2tb western-digital green hard disk drive, xfx radeon hd 6870, 8gb crucial ram, corsair h60 liquid cooling, samsung blu ray drive, 630 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T0DXVM
  11. gizmo_65 said:
    save $100 and just get a 6870 they got a nice xfx card for $160 the dual fan is $189. i would go with a corsair h60 or h80 liquid cooler they attach to 120mm fans if your case has them. or a zalman http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046 here is my computers specs
    gaming htpc llano A-8 3870K processor, 500gb seagate momentus hybrid drive, 8gb g.skill sniper ram, sony blu ray player, crossfired 6670, bluetooth, wifi, mini keyboard/mouse combo, 450 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TN5PZ6

    gaming computer fx 6100 6 core processor,nzxt tempest 410 gaming case, 2tb western-digital green hard disk drive, xfx radeon hd 6870, 8gb crucial ram, corsair h60 liquid cooling, samsung blu ray drive, 630 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T0DXVM


    air coooling>water cooling

    WC to over priced and the cheap ones do just as good as the Air ones around the same price
  12. boulbox said:
    air coooling>water cooling

    WC to over priced and the cheap ones do just as good as the Air ones around the same price


    yeah but you don't have to worry about the ram not fitting with the water cooling
  13. OK based on a couple suggestions here and from someone else I changed it up a bit. What do you think about this?

    COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
    $59.99

    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697
    $99.99

    XFX FX-785A-CNFC Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150608
    $239.99

    LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106276
    $18.99

    SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
    $89.99

    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345
    $49.99

    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
    $239.99

    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
    $34.99

    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
    $149.99

    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
    $139.99

    I'm willing to spend a little bit more than my budget to make the computer better. I just want this thing to be effective and last. I'm just trying to sort through the somewhat mixed opinions on things.
  14. Great build!^
  15. Meh do you think it would be worth it to upgrade the graphics card to a gtx 670? This is so hard.
  16. kronspik said:
    OK based on a couple suggestions here and from someone else I changed it up a bit. What do you think about this?

    COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
    $59.99

    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697
    $99.99

    XFX FX-785A-CNFC Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150608
    $239.99

    LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106276
    $18.99

    SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
    $89.99

    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345
    $49.99

    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504
    $239.99

    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
    $34.99

    Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
    $149.99

    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
    $139.99

    I'm willing to spend a little bit more than my budget to make the computer better. I just want this thing to be effective and last. I'm just trying to sort through the somewhat mixed opinions on things.



    if you plan on upgrading ram to get another 8GB then there will be a problem of the heatsink fan(evo) and the RAM

    if you don't try to place the ram on the slots furthest from the evo if you don't want to run into this problem go for their low profile ram. they are just as good and reliable
  17. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.910439 $329.98 save: $10.00
    ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0348766 $59.99 + .99 shipping
    Antec High Current Gamer Series 520W ATX Power Supply

    The 64mb cache version of that Seagate drive is the newer updated version that Seagate used to get most of the bugs out.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.937168 $104.98 save: $13.00
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226191 $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995
  18. gizmo_65 said:
    yeah but you don't have to worry about the ram not fitting with the water cooling

    It is called low-profile RAM...
  19. here is a nice hard drive and its only $20 more http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533
    here is my computers specs
    gaming htpc llano A-8 3870K processor, 500gb seagate momentus hybrid drive, 8gb g.skill sniper ram, sony blu ray player, crossfired 6670, bluetooth, wifi, mini keyboard/mouse combo, 450 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TN5PZ6

    gaming computer fx 6100 6 core processor,nzxt tempest 410 gaming case, 2tb western-digital green hard disk drive, xfx radeon hd 6870, 8gb crucial ram, corsair h60 liquid cooling, samsung blu ray drive, 630 WATT 80 PLUS PSU, WINDOWS 7 home premium http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T0DXVM
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product