Sign in with
Your question

Faulty power rail?

Last response: in Components
September 7, 2012 9:57:05 PM

I have an Antec HCP750, and a 660Ti, under normal use, fine, as soon as i load a game... everything goes weird :( 
If i power the 660ti using the hardwired pcie connectors, moments after launching a game or other demanding 3D program, it cuts out, but, if i connect the 660ti to the modular bit to a different rail, it all works perfectly fine! On the integrated power connectors, i can run a gpu and cpu stress test simultaneously with no hitches, same as on the modular connection, but i can only run a 3D program if i have the 660ti on the modular bit, or it cuts out!

What is wrong?! Voltages never go below 12.03v on the +12v rails wherever the card is connected, also when it cuts out, the motherboard warns that the surge protection shut the system down to protect it. I do not have this problem using a 10$ 450w alpine psu :S

Help please?
thanks,
Matt

More about : faulty power rail

a b ) Power supply
September 7, 2012 10:15:57 PM

If you just do everything using the modular connection, are there any stability problems?

For right now, its hard to really say the source of the problem. It could be that you are overloading one of the rails when its on the built in cables.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 7, 2012 10:22:01 PM

The native PCIe connectors are on a 40 amp rail with nothing else being powered by that rail, only chance of a single 660Ti overloading one is if the rail is faulty

Has this happened on the modular 12v3 rail ? same one the native connectors are on
Related resources
September 8, 2012 7:08:08 AM

Ive tried it on all of the red modular connector bits, its fine and no stability issues with those, but its just really weird how it just cuts out when on the nativr connector :( 
As i say i had no stability issue or cut outs on the single rail alpine thing, but that gets rather hot from the power draw, and the voltages went verrryyy low (4.6v, 2.67v and 11.2v and occasionally if i did a full on stress test it would cut out, but only after a few minutes :S
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 8, 2012 12:20:16 PM

Matt_1 said:
Ive tried it on all of the red modular connector bits, its fine and no stability issues with those, but its just really weird how it just cuts out when on the nativr connector :( 
As i say i had no stability issue or cut outs on the single rail alpine thing, but that gets rather hot from the power draw, and the voltages went verrryyy low (4.6v, 2.67v and 11.2v and occasionally if i did a full on stress test it would cut out, but only after a few minutes :S

2 of the modular connection's share the 12v3 rail with the native cables, yes weird, time to look into an RMA
And stop risking your components with an Alpine test unit
September 8, 2012 7:11:07 PM

Which two connectors share the 12v rail with the hardwired one? The two closest to the hardwured bits? Cos i cant see with it being inside a mass of other wires :( 
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 8, 2012 7:16:52 PM

Matt_1 said:
Which two connectors share the 12v rail with the hardwired one? The two closest to the hardwured bits? Cos i cant see with it being inside a mass of other wires :( 

Yes

September 8, 2012 8:02:53 PM

Okay, its now randomly cutting out using any of the power rails, and it only seems to be cutting out whenn the game is in full screen, and only when theres a game running, its fine when running a stress test or benchmark, which is really weird :S
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 8, 2012 8:52:30 PM

Matt_1 said:
Okay, its now randomly cutting out using any of the power rails, and it only seems to be cutting out whenn the game is in full screen, and only when theres a game running, its fine when running a stress test or benchmark, which is really weird :S

It is weird, the fact that you can run stress tests makes it sound like a software issue with the game
September 8, 2012 9:28:14 PM

delluser1 said:
It is weird, the fact that you can run stress tests makes it sound like a software issue with the game

I have found it only happens when the gpu goes into full power mode while in full screen, at the moment, i have few games which make it do that when vsync is on, as soon as i turn vsync off in anything, the gpu romps up to full power and the power supply dies, also, it clicks when the power cuts out and then when it powers up, i know this is normal for the power supply because ive sed a few when building pcs for other people, and when i did a power load test on a faulty unit, andoverloaded it, it cut out silently, just dropping power, i am thinking it is maybe the motherboard doing something it shouldnt?
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 3:34:32 AM

Matt_1 said:
I have found it only happens when the gpu goes into full power mode while in full screen, at the moment, i have few games which make it do that when vsync is on, as soon as i turn vsync off in anything, the gpu romps up to full power and the power supply dies, also, it clicks when the power cuts out and then when it powers up, i know this is normal for the power supply because ive sed a few when building pcs for other people, and when i did a power load test on a faulty unit, andoverloaded it, it cut out silently, just dropping power, i am thinking it is maybe the motherboard doing something it shouldnt?
Never heard a psu click when a card goes into 3d mode
a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 4:08:25 AM

It sounds completely like a PSU problem to me. Nothing said so far would cause me to think it was related to the motherboard.
September 9, 2012 12:29:19 PM

delluser1 said:

I mean it clicks when i press the power button to power up the system :o 
September 9, 2012 12:34:06 PM

delluser1 said:

I mean it clicks when i press the power button to power up the system :o 

EDIT:

And it's not the power switch clicking! it makes the same click when powering off :S
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 1:11:15 PM

Go into the bios and disable the anti-surge
If the power is still cutting out RMA the psu
September 9, 2012 1:24:12 PM

I disabled the Anti-Surge, and are going to try running the gpu off the molex connectors that are supplied with it :o  if that still doesn't work i'll rma it, also i finally managed to kill it by hitting it with a 1080p furmark burn in with all features enable for max stress, but it still lasted 25 minutes, much more than cutting out a few seconds into any game :S i cannot seem to monitor the 12v rails when in windows so i cannot tell what that is but using a multi meter it stays at 12.0-12.1v all the time then just cuts out completely for no reason what so ever D:
a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 7:40:56 PM

Is there any good reason you can't just use it the way it works? I mean with the modular cable rather than the built in one?
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 8:35:24 PM

Matt_1 said:

a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 8:44:06 PM

By, "the way it works" I mean't "the way it works" not "the way it doesn't work".

If its not full screen on the modular one, for instance.

From what I can tell there is a way it can work and it just isn't being used.
September 9, 2012 8:57:13 PM

Turns out it was all the green light on my case! I turned it off because it was disturbing the cat (LOL) and oddly enough i was able to play unhindered! Weird how it managed to cause this eratic behaviour, but oh well it's fixed!
One thing, how can it have caused those problems?
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 9:01:07 PM

Matt_1 said:
Turns out it was all the green light on my case! I turned it off because it was disturbing the cat (LOL) and oddly enough i was able to play unhindered! Weird how it managed to cause this eratic behaviour, but oh well it's fixed!
One thing, how can it have caused those problems?

Cold cathodes ?
If so , you're the second guy today having issues due to them
September 9, 2012 9:02:04 PM

No, it's an LED lit fan, the fan uses a single molex connector for the light, and the actual fan is powered off the motherboard, i turned off the light and it worked, maybe a leak problem :S
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 9:06:20 PM

Umm, what fan ?
September 9, 2012 9:56:09 PM

A case fan - i have a coolermaster 690 ii advanced NVidia Edition, the green one at the front, and it was only a temporary fix, it cut out again just now :( 
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 9, 2012 10:23:09 PM

2 connectors, 1 for power ( either from the mb or from the psu with the adapter ), 1 for the switch
Were you feeding it power to both connections ?
September 10, 2012 6:40:50 AM

Yeah,the molex one to thr switch does the LEDs and th molex orr fan connector does the actual fan amyway do you think it is safe to put one of the pcie connectors on the molex connections? To spread the load between that 12v rail and any other normal pcie one? Ive already tried using one on the hardwired and one on the seperate connection, and tried all of the seperate connections :) 
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 10, 2012 11:12:18 AM

A little confused by your reply
If you are supplying power to both of the fans connector's you have created the problem that you are experiencing
The female lead is for power, both to the fan and it's leds
The male lead is for the led switch, allows you to turn the leds on or off, it does not get connected to your psu
September 11, 2012 9:21:27 PM

And the second part means, should i use a molex to pci-e adapter cable to power part of it off the molex powered rail, rather than the others?
September 11, 2012 9:22:25 PM

On mine, it has two wires... a single molex connector which goes to the switch to turn the LEDs on/off. and a 3 pin Fan connector to power the actual fan.
Besides if i had it plugged in wrong (i don't) the power supply wont do anything because of its built in protection :p 
!