Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP Pro, Windows 7 Home Premium, and you.

Last response: in Networking
May 27, 2011 2:30:28 PM

The items.

2x Acer laptops, Windows XP 32 bit, SP2.
1x Desktop, Windows 7 HP 64 bit.
1x Netgear wireless modem/router.

The issue.

The Desktop, which is hardwired to the router, and properly set up for sharing, is occasionally not present for the laptops to access. Sometimes, when I try from Lappy1, its there, and othertimes, it is not. The same for Lappy2.

Sometimes, both can access at the exact same time. Sometimes, neither can. Sometimes one can, while the other cannot.

I need both laptops to be able to access the W7 computer, and maintain a constant connection, at all times. It doesn't want to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2011 3:39:58 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's a Windows 7 thing - the Computer Browser Service doesn't go round as often as it did in XP to check new computers which joined the network since it last looked. You can force it to look by stopping the Service and starting it again - a pain in the backside I know, but until they fix it (perhaps in SP2) it's the best I can offer.

I hope someone else has a better shot at this.

m
l
May 28, 2011 12:39:59 AM

Is there a way, perhaps in the Registry, to force it to look more often? Also, that would make sense, if the Laptops were both unable to see the Desktop at the same time, and then not able to see it at the same time. But it's totally intermittent.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2011 6:36:18 AM

The intermittence is a matter of luck -- it's because the appearance of the Service is random, dictated by when the system starts up. There's nothing apparent in the Registry for the Service Browser that points to altering the frequency but I'll play around with it later.

m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 12:56:25 AM

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's a Windows 7 thing - the Computer Browser Service doesn't go round as often as it did in XP to check new computers which joined the network since it last looked. You can force it to look by stopping the Service and starting it again - a pain in the backside I know, but until they fix it (perhaps in SP2) it's the best I can offer.

I hope someone else has a better shot at this.

Copy/Paste the following into Notepad:

net stop "Browser"
net start "Browser"

Save the file as (whatever you want).bat, and put it on the desktop (or some other easily accessible location) of both of your laptops. When they fail to discover the desktop system you need access to, run the batch file so it restarts the service and pings the network for the Windows 7 computer.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 8:06:37 AM

Nice shortcut. I hoped someone would have a younger and clearer brain than mine. :D  Will it work with the word "Computer" in it? The Service name in XP is only Browser.

m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 8:11:11 AM

Ahh.... crap. Seems my brain isn't as clear as you give me credit for :) . I will edit the above post so it looks right.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 2:45:33 PM

I thought it might have changed in 7 and hadn't got a system handy to check. :D  One day I might buy one but I'm content to remain with XP until the death.

m
l
May 29, 2011 9:46:19 PM

I will test this today, and let you guys know how it works.

One last question...obviously, we don't want to have to do this manually. Is there anyway to set it to do it automagically?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
May 30, 2011 7:29:06 AM

I haven't found it yet. I whinged about this during Beta testing of Windows 7 and M$ insisted there had been no change and it's true to say there's nothing obvious in the Registry that dictates the frequency. Nor can I find a ten second setting in the Registry in XP.

Basically I'm suggesting I could be wrong about this whole thing but run The_Prophecy's batch file (as amended) and if it cures the problem, I'm off the hook. It may be a nuisance but if it works, it takes only a couple of seconds a the start of each session.

m
l
May 30, 2011 11:44:18 PM

The batch file does not work. It also does not self terminate, simply running forever until I close it.

I am experiencing the exact same issue. When the system cannot find the share folders, and I try to ping the w7 computer from the xp computer that cannot access the w7 computer, it cannot find it on the network, even though I can log into the router and see it there.

And that link doesn't work.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
May 30, 2011 11:47:33 PM

Saga Lout said:

This is an interesting thread from another sub-Forum, the more-so because I've had Acronis for years. See if anything in the last post works for you http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/33648-18-sees-open-....

Link not working for me either.... tested after seeing Monk's post above.
m
l
!