Ink Spots from Epson 2200

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 8, 2005 11:40:33 PM

I have an Epson 2200 Photo printer. Sometimes, I get ink streaks that
are remedied by cleaning the rollers. However, I also get ink dots in
different places in images that are the same color as the ink streaks.
The ink dots often show up in different locations on seperate copies of
the same image. Something is wrong but I don't know what. I've not
been overly thrilled with the Epson and may switch to a Canon printer,
or may just have my keepers professionally printed. Also, there is
much ado about black ink; I wish a manufacturer would come out with a
photo white ink cartridge, instead of just leaving bare paper base to
render pure white which is not blown-out on the original digital
capture.

Michael

More about : ink spots epson 2200

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:06:36 AM

In article <1120876833.091105.191320@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
michael.j.hoffman@att.net wrote:

> I have an Epson 2200 Photo printer. Sometimes, I get ink streaks that
> are remedied by cleaning the rollers. However, I also get ink dots in
> different places in images that are the same color as the ink streaks.
> The ink dots often show up in different locations on seperate copies of
> the same image. Something is wrong but I don't know what. I've not
> been overly thrilled with the Epson and may switch to a Canon printer,
> or may just have my keepers professionally printed. Also, there is
> much ado about black ink; I wish a manufacturer would come out with a
> photo white ink cartridge, instead of just leaving bare paper base to
> render pure white which is not blown-out on the original digital
> capture.
>
> Michael

The print head is gathering ink on the bottom of it. It could be a bad
cleaner assembly or the nozzles could be worn/damaged. The same thing
killed my Epson 1270.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:10:28 AM

Is there any fix for this problem?

Michael
July 9, 2005 12:41:39 AM

michael.j.hoffman@att.net wrote:
> Is there any fix for this problem?
>
> Michael

M-

Posting in comp.periphs.printers

might result in more advice.

--
John McWilliams

"My wife said, 'It's either me or the ham radio. There's not enough room
for both of us.' Over."
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:13:35 AM

<michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
>I have an Epson 2200 Photo printer. Sometimes, I get ink streaks that
> are remedied by cleaning the rollers. However, I also get ink dots in
> different places in images that are the same color as the ink streaks.
> The ink dots often show up in different locations on seperate copies of
> the same image. Something is wrong but I don't know what. I've not
> been overly thrilled with the Epson and may switch to a Canon printer,
> or may just have my keepers professionally printed. Also, there is
> much ado about black ink; I wish a manufacturer would come out with a
> photo white ink cartridge, instead of just leaving bare paper base to
> render pure white which is not blown-out on the original digital
> capture.

That sounds like the small sponge that cleans the head has become saturated.
You'll find it where the print head rest during non-use, and you should be
able to access it when the head is parked in the middle for ink replacement.

In my huge Epson 4000, there is a MASSIVE "sponge" that is replaceable. It
collects ink during head-charging, cleaning, etc. I don't think the 2200
has a replacable one, but in my 1270 I was able to simply dab the small
sponge with a tissue or paper towel, which seemed to help.

-Mark
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:54:49 AM

There's also a cleaning process that involves tricking the printer to
get the head 'out', and then using strips of lightly-windex-dampened
paper towels, folded neatly to fit along the printing 'groove', and
then running the print head back and forth over those strips. see if
you can google for it.. If not, yell out and I can give you more exact
instructions for a 1270, and I imagine they would be similar for the
2200. I've done this several times with my old 1270, with very good
results.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:31:56 PM

<michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
>I have an Epson 2200 Photo printer. Sometimes, I get ink streaks that
> are remedied by cleaning the rollers. However, I also get ink dots in
> different places in images that are the same color as the ink streaks.
> The ink dots often show up in different locations on seperate copies of
> the same image. Something is wrong but I don't know what. I've not
> been overly thrilled with the Epson and may switch to a Canon printer,
> or may just have my keepers professionally printed. Also, there is
> much ado about black ink; I wish a manufacturer would come out with a
> photo white ink cartridge, instead of just leaving bare paper base to
> render pure white which is not blown-out on the original digital
> capture.
>
> Michael

When my Epson 820 photo did this, it was because there were pet hairs and
dust collecting on the head. I had to remove the head and clean it off.
John
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:34:27 AM

Mark,

I tried cleaning the sponge you mentioned. Incidentally, this sponge
is non-replacable on the 2200. I used some Q-tips and some rubbing
alcohol to lift some of the excess ink which had coagulated on the
sponge surface. In all, I went through about a dozen double-ended
Q-tips. The fix worked wonderfully; I am now enjoying spot-free
prints. Thanks for the advice!

Michael
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:49:43 AM

> Mark,
>
> I tried cleaning the sponge you mentioned. Incidentally, this sponge
> is non-replacable on the 2200. I used some Q-tips and some rubbing
> alcohol to lift some of the excess ink which had coagulated on the
> sponge surface. In all, I went through about a dozen double-ended
> Q-tips. The fix worked wonderfully; I am now enjoying spot-free
> prints. Thanks for the advice!
>
> Michael

Hooray!
:)
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:54:48 AM

> <michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
>> Mark,
>>
>> I tried cleaning the sponge you mentioned. Incidentally, this sponge
>> is non-replacable on the 2200. I used some Q-tips and some rubbing
>> alcohol to lift some of the excess ink which had coagulated on the
>> sponge surface. In all, I went through about a dozen double-ended
>> Q-tips. The fix worked wonderfully; I am now enjoying spot-free
>> prints. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>> Michael
>
> Hooray!
> :)

BTW--Not only is the "sponge" on my Epson 4000 replacable, but it is about
4"x8"x3"!
They refer to it as a "Mainenance Tank." When it's full, you pull out the
disposable drawer it sits in, and you put another drawer in...at about $40 a
pop. -I hate to think of how much ink gets thrown out into it!!! Yipe. :(
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:18:46 AM

First I feel that the Canon Pixmas produce a better more vibrant print
on glossy paper using OEM ink than the
Epson. I have not compared enough matte prints.

Are you using OEM ink?

In any event, I would say the best wide format printer for home use is
the Canon i9900; the best standard format, the IP8500, and the best
value standard photo printer is the IP4000; however, if you print load
is heavier in text and graphics documents than photos you may want to
consider the IP5000.

The more I read about Epson printers the more I lean toward Canon.

JohnR66 wrote:

><michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
>

>>I have an Epson 2200 Photo printer. Sometimes, I get ink streaks that
>>are remedied by cleaning the rollers. However, I also get ink dots in
>>different places in images that are the same color as the ink streaks.
>>The ink dots often show up in different locations on seperate copies of
>>the same image. Something is wrong but I don't know what. I've not
>>been overly thrilled with the Epson and may switch to a Canon printer,
>>or may just have my keepers professionally printed. Also, there is
>>much ado about black ink; I wish a manufacturer would come out with a
>>photo white ink cartridge, instead of just leaving bare paper base to
>>render pure white which is not blown-out on the original digital
>>capture.
>>
>>Michael
>>

>When my Epson 820 photo did this, it was because there were pet hairs and
>dust collecting on the head. I had to remove the head and clean it off.
>John

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:30:43 PM

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> First I feel that the Canon Pixmas produce a better more vibrant print on
> glossy paper using OEM ink than the
> Epson. I have not compared enough matte prints.
>
> Are you using OEM ink?
>
> In any event, I would say the best wide format printer for home use is the
> Canon i9900; the best standard format, the IP8500, and the best value
> standard photo printer is the IP4000; however, if you print load is
> heavier in text and graphics documents than photos you may want to
> consider the IP5000.
>
> The more I read about Epson printers the more I lean toward Canon.

We've got 2 Epsons and a Canon. I wouldn't say output from our E2100 is
inferior to the 8500.

Quality output is very much related to stationery and ink. I have not had
one supplier get even close to reproducing the epson print output using
after-market inks and I've tried a few!

Dave
March 16, 2009 10:41:15 PM

Quote:

<michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
>I have an Epson 2200 Photo printer. Sometimes, I get ink streaks that
> are remedied by cleaning the rollers. However, I also get ink dots in
> different places in images that are the same color as the ink streaks.
> The ink dots often show up in different locations on seperate copies of
> the same image. Something is wrong but I don't know what. I've not
> been overly thrilled with the Epson and may switch to a Canon printer,
> or may just have my keepers professionally printed. Also, there is
> much ado about black ink; I wish a manufacturer would come out with a
> photo white ink cartridge, instead of just leaving bare paper base to
> render pure white which is not blown-out on the original digital
> capture.

That sounds like the small sponge that cleans the head has become saturated.
You'll find it where the print head rest during non-use, and you should be
able to access it when the head is parked in the middle for ink replacement.

In my huge Epson 4000, there is a MASSIVE "sponge" that is replaceable. It
collects ink during head-charging, cleaning, etc. I don't think the 2200
has a replacable one, but in my 1270 I was able to simply dab the small
sponge with a tissue or paper towel, which seemed to help.

-Mark

Good idea, but be aware that some Epson sponge trays are spring loaded and can be dislodged if you press down too hard. I've found that Q-tip ends are wrapped too tightly to act as good blotters, and alcohol isn't useful in removing ink that's still liquified. Instead, I use a soft folded tissue pressed lightly with something about the same size as the sponge. It's better to rely more on osmosis than pressure to draw out the excess ink.
March 20, 2009 3:57:27 PM

Are any of the nozzles missing? Sometimes that is the cause. You have to check the cartridge for the nozzles.
!