K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
FIRST YOUR GOT TO R()X()R YOUR FRONT SIDE BINKLE MAN!!!!!!!!!LISTEN TO THESE WORDS AND YOU COULD GO DOWN IN HISROTY AS SUPER L33T. AFTER THAT CRANK UP YOU C_CORE TO 2.2V. THE SMOKE YOU WILL SEE COMING FROM THE COMPUTER IS JUST PERFORMANCE SMOKE. YOU WILL SEE MORE AS THE COMPUTER GET"S FASTER!!!!!!!!!
DONT FORGET TO SUPEROVERCLOCK YOUR SOUND CARD TOO OR ELSE IT WONT BE ABLE TO KEEP Up!!!!!LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES>!!!!

EDIT OH YA YOU MIGHT NEED A BETTER CONDUCTOR OF HEAT I HERE WATAR IS GOOD AND SOME PEOPEL EVEN USE LIQUID UNOBTAINIUM FOR THE UBER XTRMEMEM OVER KLOCKS. ROCK ON MAN.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Well now that you've calmed down....
1st step would be to find out how how your chip is currently running. The 840 chips are know to be very hot and i wouldnt count on hitting more than 3.6ghz without investing some serious cash on cooling. For a prescott you wanna make sure the temp is under 55C and then just keep upping hte FSB 5mhz at a time until the system becomes unstable. Back off about 10 mhz from there and you should have 24/7 stability. Test for stability with games, things like superpi, prime95 and sandra2006. I wouldnt not recomend upping the vcore much past stock as prescott's(especially that one) run HOT HOT HOT.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I got the same cpu and I overclock mine to 3.840Ghz (20%oc). Anyways I'm using GA-8N SLI Royal mobo with Award Bios.

If you're using stock cooling then don't bother to overclock cpu at higher speeds otherwise you'll just fry it.

I don't know you specs or your motherboard's bios but here's the basic.

Okay go to the bios:

Disable any auto boost performance for both cpu and ram if there's any.

1. Set manual on cpu frequency and adjust the bus from 800 to 900 for a start. You need to go 960 to achieve 3.840Ghz but 900 is where you should start.

2. Set ram setting to manual and adjust speed to 400 from 533 or 500 from 667.

3. Set vcore (cpu) voltage to 1.40.

4. Set FSB voltage by adding .3volts.

5. Save and reboot.

6. If it doesn't boot up then it's not stable. You need to wait for the bios screen again if not then you can reset the bios. Adjust cpu frequency to lower speed until you hit the stable spot.

7. When you achieve high overclocking then make sure to monitor the cpu's heat. I assume you have a good cooling for your cpu.

:D Now what I want from you is your complete system specs. That would be a big help to know your system.