Dual Socket Power supply for workstation?

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Does anyone know what the best Power supply would be for a 2 socket Woodcrest motherboard?
I'm like this MB, and i wonder how much juice it needs to be up and running, with lots of RAM and i guess that power hungry video Card lol
TYAN Tempest i5000XT S2996

Are we talking a minimum of 800Watts?
I've never built a dual socket rig before, and since my last computer was built during the 2.2Ghz P4 days, 'im kind of in the dark

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
2 Woodcrest will consume about the same as 1 High-End Pentium D, so your PSU doesnt necessarily need to have high W, I would rather spend some money on a redundant PSU.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well it depends, I'll agree with the rest of the guys on here but like exactly what are you putting in it? Other than that I'd say about 700 watts should be fine, but look for a high efficiency.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
Thanks for the help guys,

but i think my dual socket woodcrest dreams are over, i was going to install the WinXP64 OS on that workstation, but after reading some posts on Driver support and Games support for Win64 ... well i dont' want to be a beta tester , i need to work 85 percent of my time on that computer, and the rest i spend playing games...

I guess i wanted the best of both worlds doing work and playing games, but i guess it is back to the Conroe with 2Gig of ram and WinXP-86 for me... ugh what a pain in the ass it is not to have more memory...

God, the whole industry it feels like is in a mess, with no direction, i also heard that Microsoft is releasing 32/64 bit versions of the Vista OS, i guess the migration will take another 2 years...

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
If it helps, have you thought of dual-booting or virtualizing? You could put your 64-bit OS on there and then virtualize a 32-bit OS on there as well. Just thought it might be of some help. Or you can wait for Vista and then virtualize.

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
If it helps, have you thought of dual-booting or virtualizing? You could put your 64-bit OS on there and then virtualize a 32-bit OS on there as well. Just thought it might be of some help. Or you can wait for Vista and then virtualize.

Well i've read a couple of previews on Vista64, and it don't look pretty for 64bit computing... i mean it would be ok if i just wanted to work 100 percent of my time on the machine, but i want to also include that 15 percent of playing games, and other activities besides working. ( I Need lots of RAM on my system, but i don't want to have a crippled system that can only do ONE thing because it has too many bugs, has no drivers, and is just a memory hog and slow POS.)

As for dual-booting ... hmmm, well i guess i could do that, but....... i'd just have to get 2 Raptors and 2 500 Gig drives i guess to keep up with the storage need that i have.