Help: Need pics assessed/feedback for Canon A80

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 9, 2005 10:47:47 AM

I am not getting anywhere with Canon on this one. I think my pics in
general are always low in contrast and "cloudy". These are just some of
the pics but the "cloudiness" has been present since I got the camera
last year but I haven't used it much.

http://community.webshots.com/album/389986415NOWqAv

Tia
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 10:47:48 AM

They are a little low in contrast, and maybe a little underexposed, but
I see no obvious 'problem', and both these traits are good for keeping
the most possible detail in an image... Does the A80 not have a
contrast adjustment? Just a little play with 'gamma' (curves) and then
a small contrast tweak in any image processing program will fix them
anyway..
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:25:27 PM

chrlz@go.com wrote:
> They are a little low in contrast, and maybe a little underexposed, but
> I see no obvious 'problem', and both these traits are good for keeping
> the most possible detail in an image... Does the A80 not have a
> contrast adjustment? Just a little play with 'gamma' (curves) and then
> a small contrast tweak in any image processing program will fix them
> anyway..

They look quite decent on my monitor. Could that be a factor, or are you
talking results when printed.

--
John McWilliams
July 9, 2005 3:34:51 PM

Blondee_yvr wrote:
> <chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
> : They are a little low in contrast, and maybe a little underexposed,
> but
> : I see no obvious 'problem', and both these traits are good for keeping
> : the most possible detail in an image... Does the A80 not have a
> : contrast adjustment? Just a little play with 'gamma' (curves) and
> then
> : a small contrast tweak in any image processing program will fix them
> : anyway..
>
> Thank you for your opinion.
>
> I am not aware of any contrast adjustement on the camera itself. If an
> adjustment is required for, say, a few pictures, that would be somewhat
> acceptable. But, when returning from holidays and having over 100
> images needing printing, the task itself is very time consuming.

You might try this link and see if it helps. I get the same results
with my D70 and exposure adjustments/post processing seem to be the
answer. Note the links at the bottom of this page. You may find them
helpful if they all work. I didn't try them:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A80/A80PICS.HTM
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:08:53 PM

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
: They are a little low in contrast, and maybe a little underexposed,
but
: I see no obvious 'problem', and both these traits are good for keeping
: the most possible detail in an image... Does the A80 not have a
: contrast adjustment? Just a little play with 'gamma' (curves) and
then
: a small contrast tweak in any image processing program will fix them
: anyway..

Thank you for your opinion.

I am not aware of any contrast adjustement on the camera itself. If an
adjustment is required for, say, a few pictures, that would be somewhat
acceptable. But, when returning from holidays and having over 100
images needing printing, the task itself is very time consuming.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:13:43 PM

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D tWdndcYRYnkZ1LfRVn-pg@comcast.com...

: They look quite decent on my monitor. Could that be a factor, or are
you
: talking results when printed.

Thank you for your opinion.

The images are not "that" bad when viewed on some LCD monitors, but
definitely noticeable on the various tube monitors and computers I have
looked at. The prints when developed are also a little low in contrast.
I don't know if this is an inherent feature of the camera or a the
camera requires an adjustment.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:13:44 PM

Blondee_yvr wrote:
> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D tWdndcYRYnkZ1LfRVn-pg@comcast.com...
>
> : They look quite decent on my monitor. Could that be a factor, or are
> you
> : talking results when printed.
>
> Thank you for your opinion.
>
> The images are not "that" bad when viewed on some LCD monitors, but
> definitely noticeable on the various tube monitors and computers I have
> looked at. The prints when developed are also a little low in contrast.
> I don't know if this is an inherent feature of the camera or a the
> camera requires an adjustment.

I viewed same on both an LCD and a LaCie tube monitor. Similar results.
Again, the images I viewed weren't remarkably flat. At the same time, a
lot of places seem to bump up the saturation, so that your (correctly
exposed) pix look a tad too tame.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Blondee_yvr wrote:
> "Kitt" <niteman3d@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> : You might try this link and see if it helps. I get the same results
> : with my D70 and exposure adjustments/post processing seem to be the
> : answer. Note the links at the bottom of this page. You may find them
> : helpful if they all work. I didn't try them:
>
> : http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A80/A80PICS.HTM
>
> I don't know which links on the bottom of the page you are referring to
> that may apply in adjusting the contrast.

Sorry, I think I was referring to the discussion group link, but having
now tried it, it looks to have died a sudden death due to lack of
interest. The only suggestions I can make are playing with the EV
adjustments and go back to the manual to see if you can find some kind
of internal contrast controls. A free post processing fix would be to
try the "I'm feeling lucky button" in Picasa 2 if you don't want to
deal with heavy post processing but are willing to try something easy
and free. Beyond that, it's Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and serious
additional time investment. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 8:46:27 PM

!