AMD fx 4120 vs AMD A8-3870K

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
which cpu is better for my use? AMD fx 4120 vs AMD A8-3870K

i will be mostly be coding html/php and java scripting, playing light games like minecraft, runescape and rollercoaster tycoon. no big games like MW3 or BF3.
i would like to multitasking; listening to itunes while on facebook and skype with no lagg

which cpu would you pick for me? im not picking an Intel any more because there are good products but not very good for the price.
:)

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012

i want to overclock. and the i3 3220 cant overclock can it?

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
AMD route (this is my first build so im pretty noobie lol)
also will the AMD A8-3870K be able to handle my needs?
web browsing, dreamweaver, java coding, itunes, visual basices, itunes, filmes, light online games. ?
will it be able to open a program or my documents fast?

Opening most documents and programs will be dependant on your HDD/SSD, not your CPU :)

Trying to see if I can find anything about Athlon cores vs BD for your tasks, for gaming, I know both will suffice.

GPU grunt can be easily fixed with a dedicated card, however, it's still something OP may want to consider.

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
if you don't have dedicated graphics card or it dont fit in your budget A8-3870 have the best available integrated graphics card,its impossible to play most DX11 games with intel integrated graphics card.

True, but considering OP has stated he's considering the FX-4120, which does not have an integrated GPU, and the fact that he's stated he's willing to get a dedicated card, this is of no concern to me.

Yes, considering it's actually a Quad-Core chip unlike the Dual Core with HT :) OCing the 3870k will give it a little bit more advantage as well.

adamyjake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012

so what shall i go with?

This is a great option as well, the APU's are based on a very out-dated architecture, and the FX series of CPU's at the moment aren't very good performance wise. Going with an i5 would certainly last you much longer.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

I'd second that. Light coding/programming will compute quicker on an i5. I'd only get an APU if it were a basic internet + office box and nothing else (like mine).

Im sure the money would be better spent on an ssd in place of a i5 and add on card frankly HD 2000/3000 are really quite sad when it comes to even the games mentioned, coding does not take quicker computer,

All the tasks stated by the op would see 0 benefit from the i5 and do considerably worse in games stated at the top of the thread, this is actually a no win for intel just buying the name

^ Great input, thanks for that. I was actually looking for some information regarding APU's and Bulldozer performance for OP's task compared to an i5.

SSD would definitely benefit OP more, so I agree there as well.