Is it worth upgrading from AMD FX

bloodstorm69

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
So like the title says i have an AMD FX 8120 overclocked at 4.0 ghz per core, i have 8 gigs of ddr3 1600, 256 SSD, 660 ti, and a 24" Dell Ultra sharp IPS 1920x1200 monitor, just wondering if i would get any tangible benefit moving up to a ivy bridge i5.

Thanks!

nsouter853

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
For now it really wouldn't make sense, because although an Ivy Bridge i5 would give some FPS difference, it wouldn't be big enough to justify a new motherboard/CPU/time spent redoing it all.

Maybe in the long-run it would be, although if that's why I would just stick with your current CPU until Haswell comes out.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I recently upgraded form a Phenom X6 @ 3.4 Ghz, (which probably performed similarly to an 8120 @ 4Ghz in games) to a 2600k @ 4Ghz....

Not worth the money to upgrade.

It's nice to have an i7 and pretty bench mark numbers, but my games basically play the same (two GTX 560's SLI) as they did before.

The i7 is better and arguably even worth the added expense when buying new, but not worth ditching a good AMD rig and spending more money on top of the AMD money already spent.

dysphasiac

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
The generations out aren't that much better at the moment. I have the 1100t 6x it's not all that great and the FX8 doesn't really perform all that better either. I would wait until the next generations as well.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Well if you're able to get a good price and sell your current machine you would get rather tangible benefits moving to a Core i5 under most games. All that is required on your part is effort. If you feel the effort is worth the benefits (which are rather large in gaming) then do it.