WD HD FALSE BAD CLUSTER MESSAGE YOU EVER SEE THIS?

pauley

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
asus cusl2 w 800eb pIII, wd 40+30, 5400+7200 rpm eide,
win 98SE plus oem..........3 times in a row windows scan disk reports a bad sector at the very end of the HD on install of the OS. this happened all 3 times on 3 diff towers over the last 2 days that i assembled from scratch.
i even said [-peep-] it and ran the wddiag proggy to verify no surface dmg from a 2 party tool. I brought the first hd back. the second one i said [-peep-] it and let windows fix the bad clusters that were not really bad. the third time i just deleted the 3rd partition and loaded win98se and then after i was done used partition magic to make the 3rd partition. Anyone ever see this bullshit?? All 3 hd were WD and i built the first tower with a wd 30 gig caviar and not a glitch.........i got 3 more to build this week and i am gonna use ibm ......hope the next batch of Ibm are better than the last batch i got. :(

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Ive had windows setup report errors before on both new and older drives, I now just use SETUP /IS which skips scandisk during setup- LOL it still insists on checking for available disk space even though it has just checked for installed components and seen theres nothing there!!

Next time you wave - use all your fingers