Sign in with
Your question

CPU Bottleneck

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2012 1:44:16 AM

So im trying to upgrade my pc to play battlefield 3 and the upcoming planetside 2. I was looking into video cards like the Radeon HD 6870 and GTX 560.
I am worried about my cpu becoming a bottleneck, and me wasting good money.
My current cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0 GHz. Will this cpu be able to handle demanding games such as battlefield 3, or should i upgrade it before buying a new gpu?

More about : cpu bottleneck

a b à CPUs
September 8, 2012 1:47:25 AM

if u want with u may a low end quad core lie amd phemon x4 84 or the phemon x4 956
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2012 2:18:07 AM

terrygr said:
So im trying to upgrade my pc to play battlefield 3 and the upcoming planetside 2. I was looking into video cards like the Radeon HD 6870 and GTX 560.
I am worried about my cpu becoming a bottleneck, and me wasting good money.
My current cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0 GHz. Will this cpu be able to handle demanding games such as battlefield 3, or should i upgrade it before buying a new gpu?

hi there terrygr, yes, your AMD athlon 64 x2 6000 will bottleneck this card.. as this is an old cpu..

As this is only dual core, it cannot catch up with the speed these graphic card..
I have experience with amd athlon cpu + gtx 560..

technically, you are using AM2 motherbod, but u can use an AM2+ cpu also on your moherboard.

so, use this advice if u dont wanna upgrade your motherboard, and only want to upgrade cpu and graphic card.

buy the Phenom X4 9950,
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/AMD-Phenom [...] -/74232030

as this is a 5 years ago product from AMD, im terribly sorry, but u have to buy a used one from ebay...

with this cpu, there will not be any bottleneck once u buy a hd6870 or gtx560.

but, for better of mankind, why dont you upgrade the big three? cpu, gpu, motherbod>?

of course, your power supply needs to be enough to support though..

but in the end, its your money..

im only giving advice and hnting for best answer...hahah
m
l
!