Computer freezes when watching fullscreen Youtube videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdyrick

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hello i apologize if this is in the wrong category but i didn't know where this would fit. For the last 2 days, whenever i watch a Youtube video in full screen my computer will freeze and i wont be able to do anything and the only way to get out is to do a hard shut off. The audio will still play but the video and my computer will be frozen, and on top of that the screen will be covered in pink/purple lines. Oddly enough, when i play a game like The Witcher 2 or Battlefield 3 or watch a video on any other site other then Youtube they all run/play smoothly.

Here's a picture of what it looks like:
http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj615/coggysu/?action=view&current=IMG_0684.jpg

puggy718

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Wow! That's very similar to what I've been experiencing lately as well. However, I have experienced this sporadically while gaming & watching other videos as well.

Strange, I just finished playing Skyrim for two solid hours....and nothing. The game ran smoothly & perfectly on high settings. I betcha if I went to to YouTube, however, I'll get that pink screen of death.

raab

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I think the same thing has been happening to me, too. After 1-8 minutes of watching a YouTube video in full screen, everything suddenly turns pink and purple and black with lots of artifacts everywhere. The picture freezes but audio continues and usually i see some jumble of video artifacts that react as the mouse cursor would. Resetting is my only option and I'm starting to get sick of it. Meanwhile, games that pound my video card will play fine for hours.

Nvidia 560 Ti - HDMI - non-native 1804x994 desktop resolution - Latest video drivers - Latest Flash version

misterfuzzykins

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I (think) I've got the same problem, but it happens a couple of seconds to a minute after I fullscreen youtube. Clusters of red and blue pixels show up all over my screen, and my display is completely frozen. I don't know that my computer is frozen though, as the audio keeps playing. And it happens completely randomly. I could be watching hours of fullscreen youtube, and when I hit a certain video, this happens. On other occasions, it's the first youtube video I start up.

This only started happening after the most recent Nvidia driver release. Raab - I've got a 560Ti as well. I just updated my flash, to see if that has helped, but I doubt it. And the same goes for me while playing games. I can play Skyrim on high for hours on end, boot it up again and again after installing new mods, and nothing. Only when I fullscreen youtube videos.

It's quite annoying, as the only way out is a hard reset.

I've got a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 Ti and I'm running through DVI, with a 1680x1050 native resolution.

I've heard by right clicking on the video, hitting settings and then disabling hardware acceleration fixes the problem, I've yet to test it.

Usually this sort of artifacting would mean a dead/dying GPU, but that wouldn't make sense since we're playing games that eat up the GPU resources, and yet a simple youtube video freezes it up. Not to mention the fact my GPU is less than 6 months old.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the latest Nvidia drivers installed?

Ritter_85

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hi!

I have experienced similar problems while watching youtube videos in 1080p FULL SCREEN. Screen colors turns different aspect of purple with vertical lines. Sound keeps rolling some time but go away. I can move my mouse some time but eventually all goes into a total freeze. Only total reboot help. I have been worried because I can play games like World of Tanks, Fallout3 & New Vegas and so on without any problems. Only this youtube with fullscreen 1080p.

Thanks a lot for that link above. It was Huge relief to find out it was driver issue, not hardware.

I am listening 1080p quality video as I type this but without fullscreen (of course, would be hard to write :D) and second video going without problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.