Sign in with
Your question

Strange Whining sound coming from headphones/speakers when gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2012 5:27:33 AM

Hello all,
I recently purchased an EVGA 550ti for some nice gaming on a budget. The card produces some decent visuals for sure, but whenever the card has to do anything graphically intensive at all I get this strange whining sound coming from my audio outs.

Specs:
windows 7
asus z68 mobo using onboard sound
i7-2600k
EVGA 550 ti
Corsair AX850

The sound is similar to air being let out of a balloon very slowly so that it squeaks; it's a high pitched whine that is just loud enough so that I cannot ignore it, but I can still hear whatever I need to gaming/movie wise. It comes from any set of speakers that I plug into the computer, and when I plug in my headphones the volume output of my software doesn't affect the sound. The pitch of the sound changes depending on the graphical load on my card, and there's even a whine when I do as little as look at a gif or other small movie.

I read a couple other threads about similar issues but I couldn't find one with specifically the same problem. Please help! I just got this card a couple days ago and I really want to avoid an RMA.
March 19, 2012 1:17:47 AM

Onboard electronics are so close to each other that they affect each other so you ear this pollution at high gain volume.

Lower the output level of the computer and crank your external amplifier up, it should do the trick....
m
l
March 19, 2012 4:45:36 PM

Ok, I just tried that and it had the exact opposite effect! :/  I actually muted the output from my onboard sound and then the noise was directly correlated with the volume of my external amp. However if I plug in my headphones instead of using the amplifier I can still hear the noise.

I played around with the settings and if I run the computer at MAXIMUM volume with all applications and then keep my amp as quiet as possible, the resistor in the amp is actually helping to reduce the noise. However it's still audible, just not quite as annoying.

What on earth is going on?
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2013 11:50:52 AM

I am having the exact same problem, strangely with both my asus Zenbook UX51v, when I have it plugged through headphone jack into ANY stereo it will make weird noises. I also have an Asus sound card in my custom built pc, same thing. I have a netbook (asus as well) but it does not have the noise issue... what is going on? Also my gf has a sony laptop that has no problem with noise on same stereo. Very strange. I realize this is an old thread but have you resolved this problem wojci?
m
l
December 20, 2013 4:55:42 PM

Eventually I just bought a 3rd party sound card and stopped using my onboard sound. That fixed the problem completely for me. I'm not sure you'll be able to do that with a zenbook though, RMA?
m
l
January 17, 2014 7:30:49 AM

wojci028 said:
Eventually I just bought a 3rd party sound card and stopped using my onboard sound. That fixed the problem completely for me. I'm not sure you'll be able to do that with a zenbook though, RMA?

I have already RMA'd it once and they could not find the problem. it still happens. I have been looking and it seems like a grounding issue, the noise goes through the ground wire or something. But yea, I will have to buy a $90 piece to fix it that plugs into power bar and you plug into it. Called Ebtech HumX. Unfortunate but I guess I have no other choice.
m
l
!