Upgrade time..............Fuji v Panasonic

I've been a fan of Fuji for some time, my current camera is a Fuji
4700 Zoom.

But, I want to upgrade to a new camera, to be used in a growing
interest in landscape/seascape photography. I want some manual
controls for experimenting with pictures. I also want to be able take
those holiday snaps!!

I have had a good look at the Fuji S7000 - which seems to have all the
features I'm looking for. However, I've been looking at alternatives
and wanted to know what the NG thought of the Panasonic Lumix
DMC-FZ20b?

Many thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade time fuji panasonic

    Paul D wrote:
    > I've been a fan of Fuji for some time, my current camera is a Fuji
    > 4700 Zoom.
    >
    > But, I want to upgrade to a new camera, to be used in a growing
    > interest in landscape/seascape photography. I want some manual
    > controls for experimenting with pictures. I also want to be able take
    > those holiday snaps!!
    >
    > I have had a good look at the Fuji S7000 - which seems to have all the
    > features I'm looking for. However, I've been looking at alternatives
    > and wanted to know what the NG thought of the Panasonic Lumix
    > DMC-FZ20b?
    >
    > Many thanks
    Hi,
    If you're getting serious, time to get dSLR. If you need to choose
    between S7000 and FZ20, FZ 20 has anti shake optics. I have one.
    It does make difference.
    Tony

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:00:16 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

    > If you're getting serious, time to get dSLR. If you need to choose
    > between S7000 and FZ20, FZ 20 has anti shake optics. I have one.
    > It does make difference.

    For landscape photography wouldn't a tripod make more of a
    difference? And on a tripod, antishake reduction isn't desirable.
    While a DSLR with a decent lens would be a step up, both the Fuji
    and Panasonic can take seriously good pictures. Depending on the
    photographer's needs it may be insufficient, just as a DSLR may not
    meet other photographer's needs. Then it's time to consider MF and
    LF and also consult a financial advisor. :)

    Paul D wrote:
    > I've been a fan of Fuji for some time, my current camera is a Fuji
    > 4700 Zoom.
    >
    > But, I want to upgrade to a new camera, to be used in a growing
    > interest in landscape/seascape photography. I want some manual
    > controls for experimenting with pictures. I also want to be able take
    > those holiday snaps!!
    >
    > I have had a good look at the Fuji S7000 - which seems to have all the
    > features I'm looking for. However, I've been looking at alternatives
    > and wanted to know what the NG thought of the Panasonic Lumix
    > DMC-FZ20b?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Wait, why do you want an ultrazoom for landscape/seascape photography?!
    You probably need the widest lens you can get, not longest. You also
    need the highest resolution you can afford.

    At 28mm and 7mp you have Canon PowerShot S70 and Olympus C-7070 Wide
    Zoom - I'd choose the Olympus without hesitation over the Canon.

    At 8mp you have
    Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200
    Canon PowerShot Pro1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
    Nikon Coolpix 8400 Sony DSC-F828
    Ricoh GX8

    Some of the cameras above can be had for perhaps less than the
    Panasonic.

Photo Cameras Panasonic