Where Are the AMD Radeon HD 7870s???

G

I can't find any on NewEgg, or anywhere else for that matter. Even AMD's site has omitted them.

Also, I notice that many of the same video cards have different brands. What's the difference between the brands and why do they look so different from the 7870s reviewed by Tom's Hardware?

caqde

Distinguished

Question A)They are just showing up on the market. Newegg had one earlier but it disappeared off the "shelves" within a hour or so. When they get a full set of shipments in next week there might be a chance to pick one up.

Question B)Well each company wants to have their own individual charm per say so they will implement their own cooling system in hopes to attract your with the possibility of better cooling or maybe a quieter design. One might cool better for a better OC while another might make less noise while gaming at stock speeds. If your lucky they both might come from the same design. Another difference might be that some of them might have done some factory overclocks that will be covered by their warranty giving you an extra speed boost but not usually anything major. I've even seen some design coolers that allow for a two slot card to fit into a single slot. Other then that it is packaging, extra goodies, support, and brand reliability. Of which the last two on the list are hard to quantify in any reliable manner as it is ever changing.

In short wait till monday. Check a few times throughout the week until you find the card you want.

Hello.

Thats why some people called it paper launch. Because they give limited supply of 7870s/7850s.
Since its a new architecture a lot of people who waited till then they go massively and buy it and if the company didnt create a a good amount of products to satisfy all consumers, this
happens. I am not sure but I think that you should see new 7870's at stores next week.

Edit: Oh, now that I am thinking next week, we are gonna have Kepler arrival. So you should wait for it. Even if Kepler doesnt bring a card in order to challenge the 7870 it might lower its price and wait for 4 days isnt that much in order to get better prices or a better product :).

thenerdal

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
7850 and 7870 should be out this month. I think there is one last gpu left and that's the 7990 if I'm right.

Anyone know which Kepler GPU's are coming out soon and what date?

I only know that the 680 is coming out this month.

I thought the same too but rumors saying we might see other versions of GK104 with some disabled cores (like 570 or 560ti 448 were a weakened GF110).
And according to this: GK104 Block Diagram Explained and here: Kepler images which says: "Each SMX has one next-generation PolyMorph 2.0 engine, instruction cache, 192 CUDA cores, and other first-level caches. So four GPCs of two SMXs each".
That means that Nvidia should release other 1-2 products with less SMX like 7 or 6 (which means 1344 cores and 1152 cores which they might name them gtx670 and gtx660 (assuming that gtx680 is a full GK104) with the performance of 88% and 75% of full GK104).

G

I was interested in the 7870 because it pretty much matches the Nvidia GTX 580 in most games, it runs cooler and is a lot cheaper.

I'd be really pushing my wallet to the seams just to get the gtx 580. I can only imagine the Kepler 680 will be more expensive. Will it be worth it? I want a video card that will be relevant for at least 2 or 3 years...