Sign in with
Your question

Really need help!

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2012 4:09:35 AM

ambushxx said:
First off i had no idea where to put this thread and i know there have been many threads about the problem i am having but i have not found a solution yet. I just bought my Laptop about 2 weeks ago. Ive been having problems where i will be doing simple things like watching youtube or playing game slike fallout 3 and my laptop will freeze for a second and make some demonic robot noises. Its been happening a lot more lately and i am getting worried its going to just stop working. Mcafee runs full scans daily and i run CCleaner daily to clean my computer and fix resistry problems.

Computer Specs
Dell Inspiron 15R
Windows 7 64 Bit
8 GB Ram DDr3
Switchable graphics with Built in Intel 4000 Hd and AMD Radeon HD 7730M 2GB
Intel Core i7 2.1Ghz up to 3.0Ghz
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Thank You to anyone who responds.
-Anthony

Doesn't sound like a problem that you caused. I would return it and get a new one if possible.

More about : question

September 8, 2012 4:10:08 AM

First off i had no idea where to put this thread and i know there have been many threads about the problem i am having but i have not found a solution yet. I just bought my Laptop about 2 weeks ago. Ive been having problems where i will be doing simple things like watching youtube or playing game slike fallout 3 and my laptop will freeze for a second and make some demonic robot noises. Its been happening a lot more lately and i am getting worried its going to just stop working. Mcafee runs full scans daily and i run CCleaner daily to clean my computer and fix resistry problems.

Computer Specs
Dell Inspiron 15R
Windows 7 64 Bit
8 GB Ram DDr3

-Anthony
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2012 4:14:43 AM

demonic noises eh? does it laugh meniachly at you?

Do the noises sound like HDD or fan issues? does the system get warm?

Run disc check, run windows memory diagnostic, and let us know how that goes.
m
l
Related resources
September 8, 2012 4:16:55 AM

i use a targus cooler and most of the time it does not get warm at all and the first day i got the laptop it did this and i will tyr those Caeden
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2012 4:17:15 AM

if it has done this from day #1 then you really should talk to the store you bought it from if it is still under their warranty, otherwise talk with the manufacturer about an RMA
m
l
September 8, 2012 4:38:47 AM

I bought it straight from dell and i did both checks and they came back clean. I think the noises are from the disorted sound when the laptop freexes. It just theyve been getting worse lately and more frequent so i might call dell on monday and try and get a new one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2012 4:50:07 AM

call them in the morning, they work Saturdays in customer service.
m
l
September 8, 2012 5:01:04 AM

ok ill do that then thanks :) 
m
l
September 8, 2012 5:19:32 AM

one last question actually whats the possibility of my processor getting to hot and causing it. it happens really bad when i have a lot of thing lugged in ie laptop cooler, charger,keyboard, wireless mouse and ethernet cord?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 8, 2012 5:53:34 AM

when an Intel chip gets too hot then it downclocks to a point where it stays below a thermal envelope. Things will run slow, but not so slow as to be seen as crashing.
Run CPUID's Hardware Monitor to check your temps. Modern Intel chips can hit north of 80*c before having issues, anything above 90*c would be of concern and worth calling customer support, and above 100*c is where damage begins (for both the CPU and the components around it). Typically though it should be in the mid 30s at idle, and high 60s to mid 70s under load.
m
l
September 8, 2012 3:53:15 PM

Have you heard of the DPC latency checker?
m
l
September 8, 2012 6:28:12 PM

So I out my laptop through the normal stresses of the average day USB keyboard USB mouse USB cooler charger and Ethernet cord. I could only do for a half an hour but I used YouTube Skype Facebook and arms 2 dayz and the temp was up to 68 and the dpc readings I had one second where it was read- off the chart. Tonight ill play dayz for about 3 hours and let you know more.accurate results
m
l
September 8, 2012 11:24:28 PM

Ok so i hav narrowed it down a little bit. I started up the DPC Latency Checker and the Hardware Monitor and i played some youtube. After a while it happene again and when i wnt to DPC the stats for that second were through the roof and the message says that some devices are behaving badly and i need to find out which one is bad by singling them out. The temperture of the proessors is under 60 whlile this hapened so it was not over heating. so i am going to call dell and talk to them thanks for your help :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 12:34:39 AM

yay for not over heating! Let me know how things go with dell.

Remember: act dumb as a box of rocks, be polite, but have an idea of what you want in compensation. These words of advice have gotten me stellar customer support from even crap companies. They are yelled at all day in their cubical hell, if you show an ounce of interest in giving them a good experience with you then they will remember you and work much harder to get you what you need.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 12:35:26 AM

try running Intel Burn Test for a few runs and see what your CPU temps are. That program will give it a real work-out and get you a good idea of what your real max temps are.
m
l
September 9, 2012 2:17:01 AM

Ok Will do ill try the burn test too AND i was able o get a video of what happens to my computer i will post it when it is uploaded
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 12:37:24 PM

definitely a buffering issue of some sort. The system is (for whatever reason) dedicating all of it's attention to something else for a moment which is causing that quick intermittent pause. Most likely a hardware issue of something timing out, but there is a chance that it could be a Windows problem. Either way, if the system is under warranty then Dell ought to be able to take care of ya.
Was that audio stream being played local or via internet?
m
l
September 9, 2012 1:51:05 PM

hi mate
just watched the video on you tube.... your temps seem fine.... and im guessing the problem may be audio related..... have you checked any audio settings .... also you may find theres 2 audio devices listed in device manager.... this could in rare cases cause problems such as you are experiencing
depending on the audio device your using you could disable the other thats not being used.... on my pc im using a onboard realtek device,however theres also a nvidia based audio device listed .... lucky im not having any problems but if you are you can either disable the unused audio device in device manager or even better disable it from within the bios
can you remember any recent driver updates ... and was the problem there before the update.... also you should consider windows updates as the cause... and in both driver and windows updates a "system restore" point in normally created.... this will come in handy if the problem is a update
its a shame since your laptop is extremely good.... and the HD7730 seems good aswell

m
l
September 9, 2012 6:20:39 PM

The music was from pandora and my laptop is under warrenty. I looked under the device manager and there is to sound devices. One is the Conexant SmartAudio HD and the Intel(R) Display Audio which one is the one should i use if you know. I just dont want to stat disabling thing si dont know andn send my laptop i to a catastrophic meltdown.
m
l
September 9, 2012 10:08:37 PM

i tried disabling my sound devices on at a time and it coused the problem both time. What else in the device Manager could cause the proble in the video?
m
l
September 10, 2012 1:13:13 AM

ambushxx said:

Computer Specs
Dell Inspiron 15R
Windows 7 64 Bit
8 GB Ram DDr3

-Anthony

I would take it back, it is still under warranty, and the only experience I"v had with a grinding noise, the HD failed.
m
l
September 11, 2012 6:54:16 PM

Sorry i could not get back to you guys sooner. Ive been doing "Extensive Testing" on my laptop ie playing Dayz for 8 hours yesterday and i didnt get the freezing once while was playing. The solution that fixed the freezing wa disabling the Intel SOund Device in teh Device Manager. Thank You to everyone who helped me fix this problem. You woud think that if this was a problem the wwould not put it in a laptop but Thanks Everyone!
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2012 9:05:38 PM

I would still take it back. If this was a device you built and serviced for yourself then it is one thing to disable something and move on. But you paid retail prices for Dell to take care of you and your hardware, and funny little issues like this typically mean that something is sub-par and ought to be replaced. I know it is a pain to get it fixed, but you may be thankful for it in the long run.
m
l
September 12, 2012 3:54:43 AM

Update again. As if i thought the laptop was fixed i was tyoing a paper and i was talking to people on teamspeak and the laptop started do robotic orgasm noise again so i will call dell tomorrow and get this figured out I will let you know how it goes.
m
l
September 13, 2012 11:53:06 AM

Ok so i didnt call dell but i think i might have narowed down the problem. I was playing Dayz for about 3 hours and no problems but i had to open the internet browser to look something up and within the few seconds of the video started th noises started again. I use Internet Explorer so could this be a cause of the problem. Right now as i am typing this i am listenin to pandora and the freezing is happening again
m
l
September 13, 2012 12:24:46 PM

Well forget the past post i just made because i downloaded firefox and the same thing happened. I guess i have to call dell now(even though i dont want to) because there is probably a hardware problem. I just hate calling them because i cant understand anyone i talk to.

Edit:
THis is the crap i dont need being a college student

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/1999/04...
m
l
September 13, 2012 4:47:03 PM

See if Dell has a chat option, most of the support groups do now.
m
l
October 18, 2012 1:16:02 PM

Ok I know this is old but i am still having the same problems with my Laptop(refer to the first post). I was told be dell to update my BIOS if i could and i can. But i dont want to cause a problem potentially ruining my laptop. Should i back up my computer first or something? I downloaded to correct Update from dells website im just not sure what to do?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2012 5:05:00 AM

do not add a question to an old thread, please start your own and we will be glad to help you
m
l
October 22, 2012 1:51:57 AM

But this is my post
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 12:16:04 AM

lol, my bad. I just looked at the time stamps and figured it was surely dead by now.

BIOS updates are a bit scary, and should not be done unless necessary, but if they are suggesting it then you should probably do it. Thankfully BIOS updates are not as scary as they use to be, so it should go smoothly so long as you follow the directions provided by Dell.

You should have backups of your files anyways, but yes, back up your files before performing any 'life altering' changes to your hardware.

Some updates will run (or at least initialize) within windows, and it is a fairly simple thing to do. Other times you need to burn the updater to a CD or flash drive and boot from that device. Yet other machines require you to put the file on a CD or flash drive, and then initialize the installer from within Bios itself. So really, you need to find the PDF on Dells website that accompanied the installer, and just do whatever it tells you to.
m
l
!