Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Nervous about "death of the pc" rumors

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Tablets
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 8, 2012 4:34:24 AM

Hey guys can someone clarify what in gods name their talking about when they say the pc is dying and it is the dawn of the tablet, I mean this wont happen to gamers correct ? or are they meaning the whole damn nine yards. I want to keep my 850 $ gaming rig for quite a long time and not see the pc die as they are saying.... clarification needed.

More about : nervous death rumors

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
September 8, 2012 4:39:29 AM

I'd say there's a good 10 years left in the desktop, at the least.

Eventually, laptops and tablets will become strong enough to do almost everything, and cheap enough, at the same time, to make them viable options to replace the desktop, but that won't happen for a LONG time.

There will always be hardcore gamers and power users that require more than what a mobile device/laptop can provide. Desktop components may become more expensive, but it's doubtful that everything having to do with a desktop will just disappear off the face of the earth, even after 10 years or so.

Edit: I just noticed your name, LOL, but this seems like a serious enough question that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (except for the part about a $850 gaming rig lasting long enough to matter for this question because it won't. You'll need an upgrade LONG before you need to worry about what you're worried about).
Share
September 8, 2012 2:17:39 PM

Lol yea everyone thinks im a troll because of the name, but no rofl....in turn it's kindve ironic cause ive noticed people troll me instead XD and thank you for the response :) 
Score
0
Related resources
September 8, 2012 2:18:04 PM

Best answer selected by trolling troll.
Score
0
a c 146 à CPUs
September 8, 2012 2:43:59 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Eventually, laptops and tablets will become strong enough to do almost everything, and cheap enough, at the same time, to make them viable options to replace the desktop, but that won't happen for a LONG time.

I'd say this part been happening for the last couple of years already for non-gaming/CAD uses.

Some companies use laptops for all their non-compute/graphics intensive computer needs because they are more convenient and often cheaper than desktop equivalents. The same pattern is also happening at home with people favoring laptops and tablets over PCs due to the convenience of being able to use the devices wherever they want. Some people I know have even ditched their PCs in favor of smartphones since they can now do everything they used to do on it on their phone instead.

My prediction is that the trend towards mobility and convenience will continue getting increasingly steep as more people discover that their everyday needs can be met by cheaper and faster phones, tablets and laptops.
Score
0
September 8, 2012 3:08:12 PM

I don't think you are likely to see the desktop ever go away, really. Sure, phones and tablets will become more popular...but technology won't sit still, and as the tablets and phones gain abilities, so will the desktop computer.

A good portion of this talk about the PC dying is actually a marketing campaign designed to sell you tablets. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it--tablets just don't do everything well that desktops do.

Tablets are great for surfing the 'Net, for instance--but not so great at all if you want to write, and writing is still one of the most common activities undertaken on the computer, everything from letters and emails to stories to novels to technical reports...all of which a tablet or a handheld are just poorly designed to do.

Also, these portable solutions are designed more and more to depend on data storage in the "Cloud"...and storing data in the Cloud isn't all it's cracked up to be. There are legal and privacy concerns which just don't apply if your data is on a hard drive actually sitting in your house. Nobody is going to blink, for instance, at using the Cloud to keep their list of website favorites...however, you *should* blink if you are thinking of saving your tax returns in the Cloud, or your banking information, or that report on confidential patient data from work, or any one of a thousand other things that could be life- or career-altering if they fell into the wrong hands.

The desktop is here for the long haul. Don't write 'em off just yet.
Score
0
a c 146 à CPUs
September 8, 2012 3:40:38 PM

seamus_ar said:
I don't think you are likely to see the desktop ever go away, really.

The desktop PC might not be going away but for 80-90% of people, laptops are more than powerful enough and people love the convenience as well as tidiness.

If you look at sales figures and projections from companies like IDC, desktop shipments are expected to drop by ~1.3M units per year in mature markets while laptop sales are expected to increase by about 10M units per year. In growth markets, IDC expects an even greater bias towards laptops.

The market for desktop PCs is slowly drying up but I expect that trend to accentuate over time.
Score
0
September 8, 2012 4:12:25 PM

80 - 90%? Really?

Haven't including many hard-core gamers in your polls, have ye, now? <grin>
Score
0
a c 283 à CPUs
September 8, 2012 4:17:30 PM

InvalidError said:
I'd say this part been happening for the last couple of years already for non-gaming/CAD uses.


For laptops, at least, that's true, but until laptops can game/do professional compute work as well as desktops for the same price or less, desktops will have their place. I just don't see the high end laptop market getting much cheaper for a while.

It should be noted that I don't even own a laptop (or tablet) currently (the only one I ever had was a Thinkpad back in my college days, a decade ago), and I have no intention of buying a laptop (or tablet) anytime soon. I just don't like them. Convenient? Yes, but I personally have no love/need for computing mobility. A smartphone accomplishes the basics that I really care about when I can't be near my desktop (internet, mostly). For everything else, my desktop is king.
Score
0
a c 146 à CPUs
September 8, 2012 7:43:50 PM

seamus_ar said:
80 - 90%? Really?

Haven't including many hard-core gamers in your polls, have ye, now? <grin>

The hard-core gamer represents less than 5% of the total PC market.
Score
0
September 8, 2012 9:04:48 PM

Considering that between 70 and 80 percent of computers sold have gone to business and enterprise use, 5% of the total market is a respectable figure.
Score
0
September 9, 2012 4:53:03 AM

"looks back 20 years from now" ***.........I hate my portable gaming laptop with a 30 inch screen XD that can max every game today with 120 fps + with limited heat...lol F this place I wanna go to the future !!
Score
0
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 6:42:16 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I'd say there's a good 10 years left in the desktop, at the least.

Eventually, laptops and tablets will become strong enough to do almost everything, and cheap enough, at the same time, to make them viable options to replace the desktop, but that won't happen for a LONG time.

There will always be hardcore gamers and power users that require more than what a mobile device/laptop can provide. Desktop components may become more expensive, but it's doubtful that everything having to do with a desktop will just disappear off the face of the earth, even after 10 years or so.

Edit: I just noticed your name, LOL, but this seems like a serious enough question that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (except for the part about a $850 gaming rig lasting long enough to matter for this question because it won't. You'll need an upgrade LONG before you need to worry about what you're worried about).


Never happen, the only reason tablets are selling so well at the minute is that nobody has one, I don't have one yet but do have a Laptop and a Gaming PC. As they are new tech people are buying them...
Score
0
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2012 7:36:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!