Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Desktop Background for all Users?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 10:27:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Is there a way to set the desktop background to be the same for all users?
The way I have my setup is that each user's profile is deleted when they log
out, and when they log in they load from the default users. To create my
default user profile, I have a user, set up the look how I want it to be,
then in my admin account, I copy the profile from the user to the default
user. This works for most things, such as how the start menu is setup,
however, it just has a blank screen for the background. Any Ideas?

One more question, is it possible to change the start button so it's not
green? I don't really want to apply a new theme (like windows classic or one
silver or something) or windows blind or anything like that, I just want a
different color for this button. I don't see it when I do a display
properties>>appearance.

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hi Jason,

Open up the registry editor (start/run regedit.exe) and navigate to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

And on the right pane, double click on the 'wallpaper' string and put in the full path to the
wallpaper of your choice. This will become the default wallpaper for all user profile created form
there onwards.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
Microsoft Certified Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2891DB1E-DCD4-44AC-9E9E-2D4046B54CCA@microsoft.com...
> Is there a way to set the desktop background to be the same for all users?
> The way I have my setup is that each user's profile is deleted when they log
> out, and when they log in they load from the default users. To create my
> default user profile, I have a user, set up the look how I want it to be,
> then in my admin account, I copy the profile from the user to the default
> user. This works for most things, such as how the start menu is setup,
> however, it just has a blank screen for the background. Any Ideas?
>
> One more question, is it possible to change the start button so it's not
> green? I don't really want to apply a new theme (like windows classic or one
> silver or something) or windows blind or anything like that, I just want a
> different color for this button. I don't see it when I do a display
> properties>>appearance.
>
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Anando MS-MVP" wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Open up the registry editor (start/run regedit.exe) and
> navigate to:
>
> HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelDesktop
>
> And on the right pane, double click on the 'wallpaper' string
> and put in the full path to the
> wallpaper of your choice. This will become the default
> wallpaper for all user profile created form
> there onwards.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
> "Jason Ryon" <JasonRyon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> news:2891DB1E-DCD4-44AC-9E9E-2D4046B54CCA@microsoft.com...
> > Is there a way to set the desktop background to be the same
> for all users?
> > The way I have my setup is that each user's profile is
> deleted when they log
> > out, and when they log in they load from the default users.
> To create my
> > default user profile, I have a user, set up the look how I
> want it to be,
> > then in my admin account, I copy the profile from the user
> to the default
> > user. This works for most things, such as how the start
> menu is setup,
> > however, it just has a blank screen for the background. Any
> Ideas?
> >
> > One more question, is it possible to change the start button
> so it's not
> > green? I don't really want to apply a new theme (like
> windows classic or one
> > silver or something) or windows blind or anything like that,
> I just want a
> > different color for this button. I don't see it when I do a
> display
> > properties>>appearance.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Hi,

You are stuck with the green start menu unless you purchase Style XP
which is about $20 per machine to license. It allows you to download
cool themes and change the start bar etc.

Cheers,

Lara

--
http://www.WindowsForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/Customize-Desktop-Backgrou...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.WindowsForumz.com/eform.php?p=743463
October 22, 2009 11:10:58 PM

Umm what windows are you using? as I am using Windows XP Pro and this does not work as I am too trying to have multi users with the same background eetc
!