CPU and Motherboard swamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
So I've already posted earlier today and I already need some more help haha!

My friend will be building a hackintosh on Sunday, which leaves his old computer to sit in a lonely corner, which is good for me because he has agreed to let me have his old processor + motherboard in exchange for mine. (His being a Phenom II X4 965, mine being a Phenom II X4 840)

My question is, would we need to format our hard drives and re-install windows once we swamp motherboards and CPUs?

I planned on reformatting mine anyway, but he doesn't really want to reformat it.

Solution
It depends on how similar the chipsets are. Windows might boot up fine with the swap if the motherboard chipsets are similar enough. If not, you would have to do a repair installation at least to get Windows back up and running, then install the appropriate drivers for the motherboard devices. You'll also likely have to reactivate Windows as well.

You don't have to reformat your drives. You might have to reinstall Windows if the repair installation doesn't work.
It depends on how similar the chipsets are. Windows might boot up fine with the swap if the motherboard chipsets are similar enough. If not, you would have to do a repair installation at least to get Windows back up and running, then install the appropriate drivers for the motherboard devices. You'll also likely have to reactivate Windows as well.

You don't have to reformat your drives. You might have to reinstall Windows if the repair installation doesn't work.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.